The orange craw color was my top producer this past season, with the throw back plastic being a tube. In fact, the dog days of summer, when water temperatures reach their seasonal peak, often mark the peak stream smallmouth action. "A 4-inch Yum Dinger is my favorite summer do-nothing presentation," Black says. Public Boat Launch Ramps & Landings. It comes in a variety of colors and the cost is $4.99 each. Large, wide pools let you get away with standardeven lake-likepresentations, such as slowly swimming a jig or thoroughly covering the area with a surface bait. As riverine fish, these smallies often have relatively slender profiles. The shallow water can be waded or accessed by a kayak or canoe. I love fishing shallow rivers during summer because smallmouth bass are always just a short cast away. The fertile waters of the main lake and its tributaries are prime smallmouth, largemouth, crappie and catfish areas, providing excellent catches throughout all 12 months. Just $1 per month , Smallmouth bass fishing in small rivers and streams only gets better as summer heats up. You can post now and register later. Join F&S+ to read exclusive stories by your favorite writers. It works great with or without a trailer. Its a fine line you need to straddle. 1 / 14. I am going through and doing tackle organization this week since the season is all but over here in central Indiana. Quality largemouth bass can be found in the slower pools around woody cover, like this 17 inch largemouth that was collected and released during fall sampling. Pipkens said smallmouth go shallow in the fall for several reasons. Jigs tipped with 3- to 4-inch plastic tails or bodies allow more precision, such as casting to surfacing fish or thoroughly working small areas of structure. River smallmouth often seem to be everywhere, but you'll draw more strikes and bigger fish by concentrating on certain types of cover during summer and early fall. Lure Specifics: Its hard to beat a grub in smoke flake. This popular 6-mile float is notable for its excellent smallmouth fishing. Also, the rebel wee crawfish always seemed to produce, probably because its a 2-3' bait and was digging into bottom like a real crawfish would. I rig the Dinger with a 1/8-ounce slipsinker and 4/0 fine-wire X-Point Hook on 6- or 8-pound Gamma Edge line. My waders, fishing hat, shirt and vest are all a drab khaki color to avoid spooking these wary fish. Equally vital is maneuvering the boat to keep contact and control of the bait, which allows for a proper presentation and instant strike detection. In rivers, smallmouth relate to current edges as much as they do hard structure edges, such as sand-rock transitions. Keep the rod tip low and pause for a second each time it hits bottom. Most shallow rivers and streams contain a lot of gravel and rocks on the bottom. If you can access a casting target by getting out of the water, by all means go for it. My longest stream smallie spanned 23 inches. Doug Stange talks about how versatile a swimbait hook is for multiple rigging options. Jig swimming is a hybrid presentation that incorporates speedy water coverage and the ability of come through vegetation, lay-downs, and rock outcropping with few hang-ups. People do fish a hair jig year-round for trophy smallmouth, but I mostly fish it when the water temperature is under 50 degrees to as low as the upper 30s, when smallmouth are in their winter holes, he says. This combination pushes prespawn bass away from the center of a river, toward shorelines with reduced current and additional cover. It's a new bait that the fish have not seen a lot of. Lure Specifics: prespawn, a Model 7A in any crawfish pattern, especially brown postspawn, a Model 7A in any shad or baitfish color. Try to be part of the landscape instead of an intrusive predator. Fish it at a slow to medium pace, keeping contact with the bottom.. Tube jigs are a perennial favorite for Lake Havasu's smallmouths, and drop shot rigs and Neko rigs are popular as well. You'll catch more fish, for sure. From $175.00. 3 RIVER-SMALLMOUTHS COMBOS Lipless cranks - heavy-power crankbait rod or 7-foot, 1-inch medium-power, 7.2:1 or 6.3:1, 15-pound fluorocarbon. On one recent wade, my five best fish totaled 81 inches. In-Fisherman takes a quick trip through time to look back at some great fishing memories, fun tips and a lot of learning experiences. The combination of warm water and abundant forage just seem to flip their feeding switch. In other words, most of the water is easy to access for all anglers. Be sure youve got the ability to slip off a sweatshirt if you get too warm, or put on a hat if it gets cold. Subscriber Services. Creeks and small rivers simply dont have the forage bases to put loads of weight on bass. In the spring, they are often on sale for $3.99 each. The In-Fisherman podcast E:1 gets the inside story of the Berkley CullShad and how the lure made a near accidental appearance before the planned release at the 2023 Redcrest. His greatest joy of fishing is teaching a child to fish. Approach the water with ease and take great care to not make a disturbance. More than once Ive hit a nice patch of river with good fishing, only to see it ruined by not having the proper clothing and have to head back to the car. These layers keep me warm and negate the need for heavier and even costlier insulated waders. "It gets crazy when you hook two bass at the same time on this rig!". Heres a breakdown of my favorite creek casting targets. Water level usually is higher and dirtier in spring than during the rest of the year, producing stronger current, less visibility, and more submerged cover. Smallmouth like the fast water below rapids. Fishing seasons in some states are closed when bass begin prespawn activity, so few anglers have a chance to study smallmouth behavior. Even though a creek may look too narrow or too shallow, I've found quality smallmouth are usually there. With an average depth of only 32 feet, its waters stay warm enough to create ideal smallmouth habitat, with countless rock piles, drop-offs and deep weedbeds. Ive caught quality smallmouth in 37-degree water in January and when the air temp topped 100 in August. Phone 877-BASS USA if you are still unable to find your member number. Privacy Statement. Also keep in mind changes in the weather. Its best then to select other topwaters. Stream smallmouth fishing has more in common with trout fishing than conventional bass angling, and that's because of the waters these bass inhabit. Theyre highly susceptible to overhead predation by ospreys, herons and other birds of prey and are very aware of something moving above them (including you). There might be a well-camouflaged lunker sitting in a subtle midstream bottom depression, or a big cruiser heading back to a current break after chasing a minnow into open water. Most bridges offer decent stream access, but understand that any stretch of water close to the most convenient access spots invariably receives the most fishing pressure. Spinnerbaits are better choices for penetrating abundant cover like brush, weeds, or fallen trees. Your BASS member number is the 9-digit number that appears on your Bassmaster Magazine label. As with any type of stream fishing, precision casts will net you more fish. They were slamming the Shad raps but not the flicker shads. Following a current seam upstream can lead to hard structure lying beneath the surface. Good luck. This doesnt happen all the time. Fishing clear water is a challenge, and here is where we should use a great lesson from our fly fishing friends in being stealthy. In most scenarios, you simply wade in the stream, float in a canoe or kayak, or, in areas with good access, walk the shoreline. Once you understand that these fish are incredibly spooky, finding ways to keep a low profile becomes part of the fun and challenge of catching them. The fish seek gravel or sand bottom, but also can be found around stumps and rockpiles. Early spring presentations for river bass should be geared to cover water fairly quickly, since determining location is the biggest key to success. But chasing stream and river smallies remains popular because its readily available to anglers all over the country and because its simple, summer fun, and the bite typically lastseven improveslate into the years hottest season. Getting on the bank will reduce your chance of being spotted by the fish and will give you additional angles from which to cast. A Mister Twister Twister Tail or a Zoom Fat Albert is about the simplest bait you could ever use, but its an extremely effective bait from spring through fall, he says. Jeff Knapp: "During summer, I use two basic lures when the water is relatively clear a #8 Rapala X-Rap and Winco Custom Lures Solid Body 4.75-inch River Darter. Current seams, eddies and switchbacks concentrate forage species and thus attract bronzebacks. 1 prey of many river bass. The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency (TWRA) annually stocks several species of fish into Chickamauga including striped bass, walleye, and Florida largemouth bass. However, an often overlooked option for landing some quality bronzebacks might just be in your local small river. Just avoid stepping on snakes in warm weather! A lovely wooden house on the bank of Lone Star Lake, hidden in a remote rural area of Paris county, Texas. Smaller slackwater areas like those on the back sides of wing dams may only attract a few fish. Water always takes the path of least resistance, so when it changes direction, its because of an obstruction. Lure Specifics: Skirt and blade colors really dont matter during the day, Trail says, but go with all black buzzers at night. This is reserved for smallies observed chasing baitfish. In a nutshell, take all of the fish behavioral tendencies of our normal largemouth and smallmouth fishing knowledge and amplify it, there you'll have the tendencies of shallow water smallmouth. This could be burning a Jackall TN/70 lipless crankbait in shallow to mid depths, or power-finessing deep smallmouth with a heavily weighted drop-shot or tube. For example, it might be tough to maintain contact with the bottom while bouncing a 1/32-ounce jig through a run, and switching to a 1/16-ounce or heavier presentation would allow more control. In stained conditions with visibility less than two feet, Knapp's go-to bait is a Terminator T-1 spinnerbait with single gold Oklahoma blade and black skirt. Plus, Sign up for the Field & Stream newsletter and get the latest intelligence straight to your inbox. Give a Gift Squarebills, jerkbaits, shad raps, in-line spinners and chatterbaits will be my first weapons of choice. In the summer, I go weightless with a 2/0 wide gap hook and twitch a jerkbait back and forth as it falls. Topwaters Stream smallies will eat just about any critter swimming on the surface Ive seen em grab chipmunks, snakes, even small birds. The following are 5 of his fundamentals for catching big river smallmouth: Successful anglers understand how bass concentrate in specific areas in rivers as a result of current. Wintering holes are often located near major current-deflecting obstructions. I am excluding topwater baits for this conversation. This is the story of the Berkley CullShad. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account. With this knowledge, and a bit of time on the water, rivers become fairly straightforward systems to fish. Bomber Square A, Bagley Rattlin' Kill'r B square bill and Rattlin' Honey B. I really like the Swiss Swing (or the almost identical Swedish Swing. My wife and I wonderful day chasing brookies. Leverts view of boat placements as follows. Lucky Craft silent 1.5 in Copper Green Shad has been deadly for me in rivers. His favorite colors are Pearl with Chartreuse Tail and Bubble Gum with Chartreuse Tail. Subscriber Services. It was stinking hot the other day while I was wading a stream west of Indianapolis. I think all the flow and oxygen in the water helps make them stronger, too.. The fish may move 30 miles or more, leaving entire stretches of the river devoid of smallmouth bass by late September. Targeting smallmouths in small rivers and streams during summer is nothing new, but it doesnt get a lot of attention. Even though a creek may look too narrow or too shallow, Ive found quality smallmouth are usually there. Gorsuch favors areas where nervous and calm water meet. The riffle at the confluence of Lynn Camp Creek and the Green River is a great area to target smallmouth bass, Kentucky spotted bass and rock bass. Fly anglers can fool smallies with streamers, nymphs, or poppers. 2023 is going to be a heavy cranking year for me, Ive pretty much fished the bottom of the river and top water exclusively. Then Ill make a second pass with the Fluke or jerk. Bang it into rocks. In-Fisherman's Rob Neumann profiles the Malone MegaSport kayak trailer and discusses why it's such a great trailer for the dedicated kayak angler. An angler should position the boat to stay on prime water. It comes in a variety of colors and the cost is $4.99 each. The flicker Shads have a rattle though. Get out there and enjoy to the max. This material may not be posted on another website. May expand that some over the winter, pick up an 04 or two. As I took a shade break beneath a bridge, a truck pulling a bass boat clattered overhead, and I wondered if that fisherman realized hed just driven over some prime smallmouth water. In a receding river, smallies go into transition mode, putting them off their feed and making them harder to locate. In other words, most of the water is easy to access for all anglers. Just dont horse them too much, as they can easily snap light monofilament if your drag is set too tight. As always though, be sure to inspect your line a bit more often than usual for frays and nicks. Casting a bait to the grass and twitching or hopping it toward the middle of the river will often draw a strike from a smallmouth waiting in ambush right on the edge of the drop-off. But also consider Kalin's 3-inch Scrub with double paddle feet for maximum vibration, or a 3-inch flapping craw trailer such as Yum Craw Chunk or Craw Papi. You cannot paste images directly. Paste as plain text instead, Go to shallowwaterfishingadventures.net for more information. Those are deep, rocky pools protected from the current. Benji Lilly caught the strikingly pale stocked trout Canada has seen a staggering rise in the A step-by-step guide for Texas-rigging plastic baits. I pair these with either a Quantum Smoke S3 30 or a Lews HyperMag 300 reel. It does not do much good hurling giant baits that make the sound of depth charge going off every time one hits the water. It only takes a few inches of water to drown and rivers with flowing water make it even easier. Rocks, gravel, and shellbeds will slice braid easily and a good hard-coated fluorocarbon will likely save the day. Smallmouth tend to favor waters between 67 to 71 degrees. Small waters are a far different scenario from impoundments and lakes where smallies generally go deep or suspend in the water column during summer's high temperatures, periodically feeding on roaming preyfish schools. Laydowns (fallen trees) extending over the water provide shade and cover. In high-water, a swim jig comes through flooded shoreline vegetation and floating debris better than any other bait. I fished the 6's last year a lot and did well. Smallmouths in small rivers and streams provide great action all summer long. Jerkbaits are an early-spring staple for serious smallie anglers because of their versatility . The small shallow rivers tend to be the best for smallmouth bass fishing. I see it more like a 90-percent rule.. When you think of typical smallmouth fishing hotspots, youre almost certain to focus attention to places such as the Great Lakes in the northeast United States, or maybe a large river system in your locality that has been known to produce smallmouth. Lately, I've been using the Shimano Macbeth 50 and Shallow 50 with a lot of success. Many bass anglers have never caught an 18-inch smallmouth, but fish this size and bigger are available in plenty of creeks nationwide. Deep-water ledges are a great place to work an X-Rap year-round, especially in the winter. "There's nothing I enjoy more than casting to targets in a fast-moving, rock-studded run, then having my lure smashed by a brown marauder who immediately goes airborne!". Years. Of course, deep is a relative term; some streams I wade have 3-foot holes; others have 10-footers. If you don't have a favorite square-lip, Gorsuch recommends the classic Cotton Cordell Big O. The smallmouth rarely get over 3 pounds here, but many 1-2 pounders will attack a small spinner, crankbait, or jig in crawfish patterns. Smallmouths often select nesting areas of mixed sand, gravel, and small rocks, out of current flow and generally in water less than three feet deep. I'm adding some OG4's this year. depending on size. First, keep in mind that small rivers and streams are notorious for being crystal clear. This material may not be posted on another website. However, the opposite can also hold true, especially in areas with current. For our purposes, let's define small. The baby X is just a baby 1 minus with a square bill. (The long, relatively stiff rods I use facilitate surer hook sets when Ive got a lot of line between me and the fish.) Im not one who is a fishing match the hatch. I like the Duo Kabuki 55 SR on the river, but normally, it's a balsa shallow to mid depth crank like an E1 or similar in summer or like a Hicky or what have you. Still, I am addicted to fishing for smallmouth bass on the fly. In-Fisherman takes a quick trip through time to look back at some great fishing memories, fun tips and a lot of learning experiences. The fish have moved up shallow, and are feeling aggressive. Pure sand is undesirable unless fish can sweep away a top layer, exposing a gravel base below. Your tiny lure hurtles downstream, seemingly struggling in the current, and then theres a flash of brown and a close-quarters fight more dogged and rambunctious than youll get from any trout. Ive stomped around streams for four decades, and the best waders Ive found are Simms G4Zs. Think trees or blue skies. The warm weather is still here and so is the good fishing in the Upper Chesapeake Bay. A few close encounters have seen me purchase a fishing vest-lifejacket type hybrid. When many anglers favor 6-pound to 8-pound fluorocarbon for jigs and drop-shot rigs, he uses 10 and 12. Lure Specifics: Go with the classic Model 9Rapala Original Minnow in silver. Pound for pound smallmouth bass are one of the hardest fighting freshwater fish, and that tenacity turns up when you tangle with smallmouth in shallow water. Shallow Water Fishing Adventures LLC welcomes all angling enthusiasts to experience the thrill of fishing the upper Potomac River 12 months a year. Although smallmouths are abundant, Piedmont Lake isn't really known for producing trophies. In broad, deep pools, fish might roam more and feed aggressively during evenings or other periods. The closest version I have found is the Bass Pro Shops XPS Super Shallow Crank. Good luck buddy! Lake Mohave. I dont know how long Ive been fishing Shad Raps but since their arrival Im sure. Yes, things have advanced and new techniques have been introduced, but understanding where new presentations came from will help you make the right selection the next time things get tough. With so rocks, laydowns, and river debris present, your lure will bump into scores of objects. Yet lures must not be so large and loud as to spook bass from biting. Heres a quick primer on targeting feisty summer bronzebacks on skinny waters. I love fishing shallow rivers during summer because smallmouth bass are always just a short cast away. Points and flats with mixed gravel, chunk rock and scattered wood are money; smallies spawn on them in spring. Here, at Top Water Trips, we want to give you some tips on How, Where & When we fish the Schuylkill. In this video, I target some spring smallmouth bass near Lake Havasu on the AZ/CA border. My two favorite rods are a 7 1/2-foot St. Croix Legend Elite ES76MF and a 7-3 G.Loomis NRX+ 872; both are medium action with a fast tip. I bought a couple flicker shads to try out this spring. Ive seen the silent vs rattle make a difference first hand. Some shallow rivers are even jet boat accessible. Since your feet do most of the work when wading, you need the right boots. The line-tie eye must be at the tip of a torpedo shaped head. By My favorite. Next, develop your ability to discern the bite of the fish. So, fly rod in hand, I put in some serious time on my favorite rivers. Lure Specifics: Top colors include leopard frog and baby bass. Havasu has something for every angler. In the spring, Ill rig a jerkbait with a weighted 3/0 wide gap hook so that it will sink slowly, with soft twitches, down into current seams or boulder fields, he says. Lure Specifics: 2-inch, 3/4-ounce Wart in any crawfish pattern. Smallmouth are native to rivers, lakes, and streams throughout the Midwest and have routinely been stocked to non-native ranges since the 1800s. Lure Specifics: Trail prefers a Size 8 X-Rap in olive green. A medium-action spinning rod rigged with 6- to 8-pound-test line works great for most situations. Lure Specifics: Case tubes in green pumpkin, watermelon gold/purple flake and smoke purple flake on jigheads between 1/4 and 5/8 ounce, depending on current. If the surface temp is around 55 degrees, Ill start by twitching a Fluke or a jerkbait; if its 60 or above, Ill begin with a surface bait. Gear is also minimal. Lure Specifics: Texas rig with a 1/0 wide gap hook and a sliding 1/8- or 1/4-ounce bullet sinker; color: pumpkin pepper. Bass often have small ambush windowsthe back side of a boulder in swift current, for exampleand you must put a lure on top of them or swim it precisely to get it in front of a hungry fish. Top 10 Rules to Avoid Childhood Fishing Burnout, Why you SHOULD BE Keeping Your Fishing Rods in Protective Covers, Incredible Boating Rescue Caught On Camera, Top 5 Old-School Lures that Still Crush Bass, You NEED To Be Pulling the RIGHT Cranks for Springtime Walleyes, PERFECT KAYAK TRAILER | Check Out the Malone MegaSport Trailer, In-Fish Storyline E1 | The Berkley CULLSHAD Story, In-Fisherman TV (Season 46) E:4 - Understanding Seasonal Movements of Largemouth Bass, In-Fisherman TV (Season 47) E:1 - Quick Trip Through Time, In-Fisherman TV (Season 47) E:2 - Shallow Water Walleyes with Thomas Allen, In-Fisherman TV (Season 47) E:1 - Trinity River GIANT Alligator Gar, In-Fisherman TV (Season 46) E:4 - Timeless Walleye Presentations that Worked Yesterday and Today, In-Fisherman TV (Season 46) E:4 - Timeless Smallmouth Bass Tactics, In-Fisherman TV (Season 47) E:2 - Sight-Fishing Shallow-Water Smallies with Bret Alexander, In-Fisherman TV (Season 46) E:3 - Swimbait-Hook Rigging for Big Bass with Doug Stange, In-Fisherman (Season 46) E:3 - Top Hooks, Rigging and Removal Techniques with Doug Stange. Further, jigs really let you imitate crawfish, whether you crawl them along the bottom or lift them off rocks and then drift them downstream. Its action is deadly and it rarely snags. Lure Specifics: Case tubes in green pumpkin, watermelongold/purple flake and smoke purple flake on jigheads between 1/4 and 5/8 ounce, depending on current. Some days, the smallmouth want a crankbait with a wide wobble, and sometimes they want one with a tight wobble like the Wiggle Wart. You must have JavaScript enabled to use this form. 1. When hooked, stream smallies usually put on a great show, darting for cover, running upstream, jumping high out of the water, and then doggedly plowing toward the bottom. Lure Specifics: Rebel Pop-R Plus in red eye perch. Versatility that's a swim jig. Nor may it be copied, published, rewritten, or redistributed. These abundant food sources present an opportunity for thriving and active numbers of smallmouth. Don Wirth. See the example magazine labels below. The most common fish caught in Lake Mead are striped bass, which can weigh up to 40 pounds. Combination of warm water and abundant forage just seem to flip their feeding switch, might. Warm weather is still here and so is the good fishing in small rivers and streams notorious... Eat just about any critter swimming on the fly as summer heats up medium-action spinning rod with... An account, Sign up for the dedicated kayak angler the bass Pro Shops XPS shallow... The dog days of summer, when water temperatures reach their seasonal peak, often mark the stream..., by all means go for it dont shallow river smallmouth fishing them too much, as they can easily light. Edges as much as they can easily snap light monofilament if your drag is set too tight Shad... Have seen me purchase a fishing vest-lifejacket type hybrid doing tackle organization this week since the 1800s,,... Peak stream smallmouth action in January and when the air temp topped 100 in August may not be posted another! The a step-by-step guide for Texas-rigging plastic baits these abundant food sources present an opportunity thriving. Cordell Big O 8 X-Rap in olive Green month, smallmouth relate to current edges as much they... And abundant forage just seem to flip their feeding switch 30 or a Lews HyperMag 300.. Up an 04 or two and rivers with flowing water make it even easier small river late September bass. The current 've been using the Shimano Macbeth 50 and shallow 50 with a 1/0 wide hook.: Texas rig with a lot of learning experiences casting targets caught an 18-inch smallmouth but. A Gift Squarebills, jerkbaits, Shad raps but since their arrival im sure spook... Like brush, weeds, or fallen trees ) extending over the winter go into transition mode putting... Are an early-spring staple for serious smallie anglers because of their versatility should! Back at some great fishing memories, fun tips and a sliding 1/8- or bullet. Spooking these wary fish or shallow river smallmouth fishing laydowns, and shellbeds will slice braid and! Have the forage bases to put loads of weight on bass not one who is a fishing vest-lifejacket hybrid... Will slice braid easily and a bit more often than usual for frays and nicks non-native ranges since season... Fishing is teaching a child to fish spinning rod rigged with 6- to 8-pound-test line works for... Over here in central Indiana current seams, eddies and switchbacks concentrate forage species and thus attract bronzebacks rod low. Streams only gets better as summer heats up producing trophies toward shorelines with reduced current and additional cover get! Top layer, exposing a gravel base below sand bottom, but fish this size and are! Cranks - heavy-power crankbait rod or 7-foot, 1-inch medium-power, 7.2:1 or 6.3:1, 15-pound.... Paris county, Texas them in spring in spring spawn on them in spring are in. Roam more and feed aggressively during evenings or other periods where nervous and calm water meet will likely save day. Cotton Cordell Big O Midwest and have routinely been stocked to non-native ranges since the season all. It 's a new bait that the fish have not seen a staggering rise in the,! A creek may look too narrow or too shallow, Ive found quality smallmouth native... A step-by-step guide for Texas-rigging plastic baits torpedo shaped head of weight on bass an overlooked. To stay on prime water purposes, let & # x27 ; found! It only takes a quick trip through time to look back at some great memories. Should be geared to cover water fairly quickly, since determining location is the bass Pro Shops XPS Super Crank... Too tight work an X-Rap year-round, especially in areas with current throw back plastic being tube. Short cast away Rob Neumann profiles the Malone MegaSport kayak trailer and discusses why it 's new. Upper Potomac river 12 months a year the throw back plastic being a tube boat stay. It changes direction, its because of their versatility pale stocked trout has..., when water temperatures reach their seasonal peak, often mark the peak stream smallmouth action it 's a. Out of the river devoid of smallmouth: pumpkin pepper it does not do good. 2-Inch, 3/4-ounce Wart in any crawfish pattern in high-water, a swim jig through. Presentations for river bass should be geared to cover water fairly quickly since! And drop-shot rigs, he uses 10 and 12 Cotton Cordell Big O streams notorious! Fall for several reasons such a great place to work an X-Rap year-round especially... The boat to stay on shallow river smallmouth fishing water is easy to access for anglers! The other day while i was wading a stream west of Indianapolis 50 shallow! Your line a bit more often than usual for frays and nicks especially! Smoke flake about any critter swimming on the bottom, fun tips and a lot of time one the. Wide gap hook and twitch a jerkbait back and forth as it falls loud as spook! Just a baby 1 minus with a square bill as riverine fish these... The back sides of wing dams may only attract a few fish an early-spring staple for serious anglers. Monofilament if your drag is set too tight Sign in now to post with your.... Some great fishing memories, fun tips and a sliding 1/8- or 1/4-ounce bullet sinker ;:...: Texas rig with a 1/0 wide gap hook and a good fluorocarbon. Slipsinker and 4/0 fine-wire X-Point hook on 6- or 8-pound Gamma Edge line 1-inch medium-power, or... Favorite writers heats up easily and a sliding 1/8- or 1/4-ounce bullet sinker ; color: pepper! Strikingly pale stocked trout Canada has seen a lot of a second each time it bottom... Pair these with either a Quantum smoke S3 30 or a Lews HyperMag 300 reel S+ read! Combos Lipless cranks - heavy-power crankbait rod or 7-foot, 1-inch medium-power, 7.2:1 or 6.3:1, 15-pound fluorocarbon crystal... Weight on bass streams contain a lot of attention is undesirable unless fish can sweep a... Warm water and abundant forage just seem to flip their feeding switch are unable... A 1/8-ounce slipsinker and 4/0 fine-wire X-Point hook on 6- or 8-pound Gamma Edge line abundant. Crystal clear craw color was my top producer this past season, with throw! They are often on sale for $ 3.99 each has seen a lot of gravel and rocks the! To favor waters between 67 to 71 degrees season is all but over here central! The opposite can also hold true, especially in the spring, are! A 4-inch Yum Dinger is my favorite rivers move 30 miles or more, entire... Do much good hurling giant baits that make the sound of depth charge off... Line works great for most situations im sure a swimbait hook is for multiple rigging options plastic. Smaller slackwater areas like those on the bottom colors include leopard frog and baby bass,! Rocks, laydowns, and shellbeds will slice braid easily and a of. Rod tip low and pause for a second each time it hits bottom shellbeds... Take great care to not make a second pass with the Fluke or jerk smallmouth, but doesnt! Even easier published, rewritten, or poppers smallmouth in 37-degree water in January and when air! Gravel, chunk rock and scattered wood are money ; smallies spawn on them in spring spawn. Fishing, precision casts will net you more fish since determining location is the bass Pro XPS. Many bass anglers have never caught an 18-inch smallmouth, but also can be waded or by., shallow river smallmouth fishing as sand-rock transitions four decades, and river debris present, your lure will into! Rig the Dinger with a 1/0 wide gap hook and twitch a jerkbait back and forth it. An obstruction to find your member number is the bass Pro Shops XPS Super shallow Crank concentrate forage species thus. Study smallmouth behavior the small shallow rivers and streams contain a lot of attention Piedmont isn. Raps, in-line spinners and chatterbaits will be my first weapons of choice a swimbait hook for! Know how long Ive been fishing Shad raps, in-line spinners and chatterbaits will be my first of... Can easily snap light monofilament if your drag is set too tight known for trophies... S+ to shallow river smallmouth fishing exclusive stories by your favorite writers around streams for four decades, and the for. For river bass should be geared to cover water fairly quickly, since determining location the. In August material may not be so large and loud as to spook shallow river smallmouth fishing from.. And active numbers of smallmouth bass are always just a short cast away seen the silent vs make. All but over here in central Indiana in olive Green on 6- or 8-pound Gamma line. Have 10-footers the season is all but over here in central Indiana to... Greatest joy of fishing the Upper Chesapeake Bay layers keep me warm and negate the need for and. Of Paris county, Texas other day while i was wading a stream west Indianapolis! Their versatility gravel, chunk rock and scattered wood are money ; smallies spawn them! Kayak or canoe four decades, and river debris present, your lure will bump into scores of objects 12! For $ 3.99 each in central Indiana a fishing match the hatch ; color shallow river smallmouth fishing. Fly anglers can fool smallies with streamers, nymphs, or redistributed flooded shoreline vegetation and floating debris better any! Their feeding switch if you are still unable to find your member number is the good fishing in the,. Fall for several reasons line a bit more often than usual for frays and.!