You will need a shift hump, shifter, linkages, boot, carpet trim ring, reverse light switch and harness. In 1967, the pattern was always shown on the shifter knob. Unfortunately these metal tags are often discarded The Saginaw 4-speed transmission from General Motors is one of the most popular and widely used transmissions in the racing and rodding industry. sold December 27, 1965. 3 speed in my Drag Camaro to try to tame the wheelstands. Does anybody know of an offset shifter? OE Replacements, we help you solve the problem! I just did a Manual 3 speed Column to floor switch in my 66 Caprice. If you are wondering if your car has a Saginaw transmission, there are several ways to identify it. CHART SAGINAW, G.M. I plan on using this trans just cause I got it for nothing, hopefully it lasts at least til I can afford a 4 or even 5 speed. They where good mechanix one teaches auto shop at a school. While this added weight can improve a vehicle's performance, it can also be a disadvantage for vehicles that require a lighter weight for racing purposes. An example 3-Quarts Genuine Honda Acura Manual Transmission Fluid MTF 08798-9031. A retro fit PCV that elemenates the road draft tube might stop the leak any way. I dont like the idea of that at all, it seems like it would be to easy to shift it into reverse instead of second. You will find the T-85 three-speed in these cars: 1957-'66 American Motors/ Rambler with 287 or 327 engine. Automatic From a 1964 Nova 342 Saginaw. My 80 ST10 is full left and up (forward towards engine). FITS: 4 SPEED SAGINAW/MUNCIE MANUAL TRANNY SBC/BBC, (4) Saginaw Muncie 4 Speed Transmission Universal Steel Shifter Lever 3 Speed, Leave feedback about your eBay search experience - opens in new window or tab. Put a good shifter on it and you'll never ever miss the 1 - 2 up shift. 1966-81 Chevy Hurst Saginaw 4 Speed Transmission Shifter w/Linkage w/Handle 7236. The Saginaw was a popular transmission used in many GM vehicles from the 1960s to the 1980s. Terms of Service. column shift transmission. Trending at $109.10. Perfect for your 265. transmissions under the steering shaft was simply blocked with a rubber plug. The manual transmission was a popular choice for car enthusiasts and mechanics. The correct shift boots are almost non existant but I know of someone that will be reproducing them soon. Installation kits include all linkage, mounting hardware, shifter boot and easy-to-follow installation guide. The vehicle its on is a 1956 chevy. The tag will have a code that indicates the transmission type, and it may include the letters "SAG" or "SAGINAW" in the code. Replacing or upgrading a manual shifter is a proven way to add or restore shifting performance to your vehicle. the muncie has a frame mounted boss which eliminates the vibrations,it also is a more You will also be able to tell the assembly date by the casting number. Federal law required that the shift pattern be shown. So much for well trained mechanics at the dealer. That is not a problem,that is how they are designed. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964 1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100 1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog" 1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner. or TH2004R transmission. Flywheels do not interchange with any other series and are always 168 teeth. The 1955 Bel Air I just bought has the 3-speed manual transmission with the column shift (three on the tree). I've been looking around the internet for awhile and I keep seeing 2 different 3speeds. Because the speedometer cable exited on the passenger side, an extra hole was required in the firewall to accommodate the speedometer cable. I've spent many years selling cars, working with auto detailers, mechanics, dealership service teams, quoting and researching car insurance, modding my own cars, and much more. that would fix the 1-2 shift. Did not get into manuals until I bought a used S-10 (not a good truck), then I loved the manual shifts, so my next two trucks were manual shifts. . The later ones appear to have a longer main case and 7 bolts on the side cover. They can help identify the transmission based on its features and characteristics. Second and last post for the "newbie". I left it a three speed because I have the Heavy Duty Borg & Warner which are rare and hard to find. We share our knowledge with you, here on CarShtuff. Not being familiar with California at all, I am totally useless as to who can or should do the work for you. Saginaw iron case : M22: . View the Chevy Saginaw 3-Speed and 4-Speed Diagram with an exploded view and a parts breakdown. The later versions were redesigned to make them easier to down shift by installing syncronizers for all gear shift patterns, up and down shifting, making them "fully" syncronized. Early models had iron cases, and late-model cases are aluminum. 425 Pinson Rd Ste M PMB 1028 Forney, TX 75126, We can be reached at contact@carshtuff.com. We are a team of automotive enthusiasts, master technicians, car finance managers and more. The straighter angle was designed to Talk to the experts. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. It is the designation for a Saginaw 3 speed with the BW OD. My Saginaw is a Model 441, but I really don't know what year it is. As mentioned above, modern 5-speed and 6-speed manual transmissions are easy to identify, but older 4-speed transmissions have more variety. The Saginaw 3 speed uses the same cross member as the Muncies. GROOVED (BABBITT), 350 300 250 ALUM POWERGLIDE ST300 MUNCIE T5 T10 SAGINAW BULLET TYPE SPEEDOMETER HOUSING WITH SEAL & O-RING, 350 TH350, POWERGLIDE, MUNCIE, SAGINAW TRANSMISSION SPEEDOMETER DRIVEN GEAR BLACK 23T 3.55 RATIO (3860346), 6306-N BEARING FITS FS5W71 INPUT, SAGINAW OUTPUT, MAZDA MX5, MUNCIE 318 & 319, NV1500 & SUZUKI M/S REAR & BW4462, TX10 TRANSFER CASE, BENCH BUDDY 4-PIECE BRUSH SET FOR VALVE BORE POLISHING & MORE: BB100 BY SUPERIOR, GASKET MAKER & GEAR MARKING COMPOUND KIT for MANUAL TRANSMISSION, TRANSFER CASE, OR DIFFERENTIAL, GEAR FLUID SUPPLEMENT BY LUBEGARD 8oz. Reverse is in the normal position of way left and up. The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. I got 1 season out of the trans but second gear was shot after about 5 months of cruising just 2 times a week. However, for more casual driving and less demanding applications, the Saginaw transmission may be a more affordable and practical choice. I wouldn't mess with the rear main seal if its not leaking excessively. Just over and up. The saginaw in my 61 pickup is left and down and shows this pattern in the owners manual. because there was no room to install the trans. I bought the trans for 250 at a super Chevy show, purchased a rebuild kit on eBay for 100 but they have gotten less expensive over the last year or so, see below for a kit less than 70. An example would Nov 9, 2010. New Process A833 All forward speeds synchronized. i have a 66 impala 2 dr and i'm wanting to upgrade my stock 3 speed to a saginaw 4 speed and i was wanting to know what all i would have to change in order to do this. P0221 (February 21) date stamping on 1966 Muncie 4-speed transmission. Yard it out! Something went wrong. 5) Pull the cover and put everything in neutral. Im a mechanic with five years experience diagnosing and repairing vehicles. side. This decodes to 1972 (2), October (R), 25th, M21 (B). 6) Mount the shift levers on the cover and put the levers in the neutral position. Rebuild or Replace? C ~ March, D ~ April, E ~ May, If it was the original tranny it was most likely a ST-10. ): transmission tunnel seal, 1963 SS 4-speed shifter boot, transmission pilot bearing, release fork boot, transmission mount, firewall/steering column seal, Hurst Competition Plus Shifter, 1963 SS-style shifter handle to fit the Hurst shifter, and the 4-speed The 55 thru 64 trans where Muncie 318,s the overdrive unit on the rear of a 318 made it a 319. Come join the discussion about restoration, builds, performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more! The number on it is 224247. I also have to add a cautionary warning about the Saginaw four speed. I had a 3 speed in a 72 rally Nova ,, i flipped the arms over on . R.P.O. I left it a three speed because I have the Heavy Duty Borg & Warner which are rare and hard to find. I think the only Hurst shifters were over to the left and up. The first speed part I ever purchase was a used Hurst syncro-loc shifter, must not have been the right app. If it's set up right, I'd argue that a 3-OTT is about as fast as a floor shift, once you get good at it. I use the 77 one on mine, but with a Muncie and a Hurst shifter. All 26 spline You can swap in a middle to late 60's saginaw three speed, fully synchronized, or the same era four speed saginaw, also fully synchronized, with a floor shifter, for a few dollars. It feels real comfortable to pull the thing left & towards me. I usede to own one and I would like to replace the automatic trans with a 4 speed. CHART 4-SPEED TRANSMISSION I.D. The shifter is too far to the drivers side and will be a pain. The Muncie transmission comes in several different models, including the M20, M21, and M22, which have different gear ratios. Other necessary parts that were purchased for the swap are as follows (See photo #5. The M22 transmission has a 20 degree helix The shift pattern on the one I owned had reverse on the left ande down but you also had to push down on the shifter to access reverse. CarShtuff.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon. That is what I ended up with when I bought my cheap first Hurst Shifter. when stopped its easy to drop it into first gear. The Saginaw was offered in several different models with different gear ratios, each with its own unique features and characteristics. The serial number is a date code and indicates the particular year the transmission I never ever hurt it. Message Us . The stock three speed has like a 2:93 first gear which is great for getting the car off and running from a stop. The lightweight design helps fuel efficiency and overall performance. Preassembled, easy to install and instructions are included. Any road If not for the internet they wouldn't have been able to fix the van. Apparently there are early and late model transmissions. With the 318 trans first and reverse you are actually moving & shifting a real gear. Im going to put the saginaw in my car along with all the pedals and all that. In Drive at full throttle, it would upshift from low gear to . $58.05 . 4 Speed Shifter GM Chevy Chevelle Camaro 1960s 1970s Muncie Saginaw, Vintage Factory ITM 4-Speed Manual Shifter Body Camaro Saginaw Transmission, GM 4 speed shifter floor bolt down ON FLOOR MANUAL SAGINAW MUNCI PARTS, Hurst Street Super Shifter 4 Speed Linkage Kit Saginaw TYPE 441 Only 3738618 NEW, - Hurst Street Super Shifter 4 Speed Linkage Kit Saginaw TYPE 441 Only 3738618 NEW, Hurst Comp Plus 4 Speed shifter Install Kit 1973-1977 Camaro Factory Saginaw 441, - Hurst Comp Plus 4 Speed shifter Install Kit 1973-1977 Camaro Factory Saginaw 441, HURST COMPETITION PLUS 4-SPEED INSTALL KIT,NATURAL,1973-1977 CAMARO SAGINAW 441, saginaw 4 speed transmission WITH HURAT SHIFTER, HURST 3734297 Comp Plus Shifter Install Kit Saginaw 4 Speed Type 441 Chevelle, - HURST 3734297 Comp Plus Shifter Install Kit Saginaw 4 Speed Type 441 Chevelle, oem levers linkage iTM shifter 1976-80 Chevy Monza 262 engine Saginaw 4-speed, HURST 4 Speed Shifter Kit 1966 1967 Chevelle El Camino Factory Saginaw Type 441, 1969 Chevrolet Camaro Firebird Hurst GM Original 4 Speed Shifter Saginaw Muncie, - 1969 Chevrolet Camaro Firebird Hurst GM Original 4 Speed Shifter Saginaw Muncie, HURST 4 Speed Shifter Kit 1955 1956 1957 Full Size Chevy Bench Seat Saginaw 441, 1970 -79 FACTORY CAMARO FIREBIRD 4 SPEED SHIFTER LINKAGE ROD 1ST 2ND SAGINAW, 1968 1969 1970 1971 -72 FACTORY NOVA 4 SPEED SHIFTER LINKAGE ROD 1ST 2ND SAGINAW, Hurst shifter rod muncie top loader hemi SAGINAW 4 SPEED ROD, Hurst shifter rod 4164 08 muncie top loader hemi SAGINAW 4 SPEED ROD, HURST 1978 1979 Chevelle Malibu 4 Speed Shifter Saginaw 441 El Camino, FREE T, - HURST 1978 1979 Chevelle Malibu 4 Speed Shifter Saginaw 441 El Camino, FREE T, OEM GM 1965-1967 ITM CHEVROLET Impala Bench Seat Muncie 4 Speed Shifter, factory reverse lever iTM hurst shifter 1970-75 Camaro Firebird SAGINAW 4-speed, HURST 4 Speed Shifter kit 1967 1968 Camaro Firebird Factory Saginaw type 441 NEW, RARE 1970 1978 1981 CAMARO TRANS AM FIREBIRD 4 SPEED SHIFTER W/RODS LINKAGE OEM, Hurst 4 Speed Shifter Kit 1973 1974 1975 1976 1977 Camaro FACTORY Saginaw 441, hot rod 3/4-speed linkage hurst shifter 78-81 Malibu Camino Saginaw muncie T10, HURST Factory OEM 1969 Camaro Firebird Saginaw 4 Speed Shifter Rods / Lever Arms, HURST USA Comp Plus 4 Speed Install Kit 66-67 Pontiac GTO SAGINAW W/OEM SHIFTER, HURST INDY AUTOMATIC SHIFT TOWER nice chrome camaro nova impala cuda dart gto gs, 1967 1968 FACTORY CAMARO FIREBIRD 4 SPEED SHIFTER LINKAGE ROD 3RD 4TH SAGINAW, 1970-79 FACTORY CAMARO FIREBIRD 4 SPEED SHIFTER LINKAGE ROD 3RD 4TH SAGINAW, HURST 4 Speed Shifter Kit 1955-1957 Full Size Chevy Bench Seat Saginaw 441 Trans, oem 3sp linkage rod iTM hurst shifter 1970-75 Camaro Firebird SAGINAW 4-speed, oem shifter reverse lever arm 1982-84 GM F-body Camaro Firebird SAGINAW 4-speed, NOS B&M Quick Stick Super Street 4 Speed shifter kit Muncie BW T-10 Saginaw GM, saginaw 3/4-speed factory linkage rod hurst iTM shifter 1970-76 Camaro Firebird, HURST 4 Speed Shifter Shift Rod 2135299 5299 3rd 4th Gear for Saginaw Type 441, Hurst shifter rod 3189 10 SAGINAW 4 SPEED ROD, HURST Competition Plus USA 4 Speed Shifter Kit 1982 Camaro w Saginaw 456 TT, linkage rod iTM shifter 1973 74 75 Vega Cosworth gm h-body Saginaw 4-speed chevy, Hurst 3910001 Comp Plus 4 Speed Shifter Chevy GMC 1/2 Ton Saginaw 441 FREE T, factory linkage rod iTM hurst shifter 1970-75 Camaro Firebird SAGINAW 4-speed, Hurst 3917930 Comp Plus 4 Speed shifter 1968-1972 Chevelle w Saginaw 441 Free T, hurst shifter tower housing chevelle NOVA GTO muncie Saginaw T10 4speed hot rod, linkage rod iTM shifter 1973 74 75 Vega Cosworth GT GM H-body SAGINAW 3/4-speed, HURST 4 Speed Street Super Shifter 3RD / 4TH Gear Shift Rod Saginaw 0039, case dust shield iTM shifter 1970-81 Camaro NOVA muncie saginaw Super T10 4speed, HURST COMPETITION PLUS 4-SPEED INSTALL KIT,NATURAL,1968-72 CHEVELLE SAGINAW 441, 1967 CHEVROLET CHEVELLE ORIGINAL MUNCIE 4SPEED SHIFTER HANDLE SS 396 CONSOLE, Saginaw 4 Speed Hurst Shifter Linkage Lever Tab (1) AAC 5776 Out (2) 5759 Out, HURST 1160010 Street Super Shifter 4 Speed Support Saginaw Type 441 3738618, Vintage GM 4 speed Saginaw Hurst Shifter 5776 5759 Shifter Lever Tabs Arms, HURST 3734531 1967 1968 Camaro Firebird 4 Speed Shifter Install Kit Saginaw 441, (1) Saginaw Muncie 3 and 4 Speed Transmission Universal Steel Shifter Lever Tab, Saginaw 4-Speed Hurst Shifter Linkage Lever Arm Tab 1) AAC 5776 Out 2) 5759 OEM, Vintage HURST Indy Shifter 0213 Saginaw 4 speed Hot Rod For Restoration VTG, Hurst Competition Plus 4 Speed Shifter Kit 1968 -1972 Chevelle Saginaw Type 441, HURST Original 1978-1980 Pontiac Grand Am 4 Speed Shifter for Saginaw Rebuilt, HURST Comp Plus 4 Speed Shifter & Linkage 1978-1980 Monte Carlo Malibu Saginaw, 4 (GRADE 8!) Check the transmission identification tag: The Saginaw 3-speed transmission typically has an identification tag attached to the side cover of the transmission. Some folks here don't fit in at the HAMB. Saginaw 2-3 1-R Shift Fork 3 Speed and 1-2 Shift Fork 4 Speed, WT301-23 Saginaw 2-3 1-R Shift Fork, WT301-23 Our Price: $17.90 (4) Saginaw 3 Speed Counter Shaft Pin, WT301-3 Im a member there. Easily identified by the reverse gear being on the main case instead The ways to check for a Saginaw transmission are outlined in the vehicle. Come join the discussion about performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more! The Saginaw was and is known for its durability and reliability. The Saginaw was and is known for its durability and reliability. item 7 Chevy GM Saginaw 3 Speed Transmission Camaro Chevelle Belair C10 Nova J18467 Chevy GM Saginaw 3 Speed Transmission Camaro Chevelle Belair C10 Nova J18467. Exclusive advanced gear shift mechanism design for shorter throw and positive, precise shifts/. Case length measures 1058 inches. Home > Transmission Parts > Chevrolet Transmission Parts > Saginaw 3 & 4 Transmission Parts > Saginaw Diagram: Saginaw 3 and 4 Speed . DIMPLED, 2004R 350 700R4 4L60E 4L65E 4L70E 4L30E NV1500 POWERGLIDE SM318 SM319 ST300 JETAWAY SAGINAW ETC TRANSMISSION & TRANSFER CASE TAIL HOUSING BUSHING 1.630" O.D. 4-speed a hole was required in the firewall to accommodate the speedometer cable Come join the discussion about engine swaps, performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more! the month such as P8A01, meaning 1968 (8), January (A) 1st (01). Call 800.979.0122, 7am-10pm, everyday. . K ~ July, M ~ August, P ~ September, Your Price: $230.95. This shifter location is a good indication that your car has a Saginaw 3-speed transmission. produce less end loading of the gear train and less heat but created more noise, Reverse is in the normal position of way left and up. Can anyone tell me what is going on here? ~ M22 (1969 and newer). Cool thanks a lot guys, this is all great info. Chit Chat Area, Anything on your mind goes here. CAUTION: This transmission closely resembles 343 Saginaw FORD (336) 9-bolt top cover; first-gear synchronized CHEVROLET (341) 4-bolt side cover with round-gear selection shafts . Here is a used version on eBay: It's easy to shift into first at a stop or while still rolling slowly. I am 69 and simply want this 55 for pleasure. (all bad news) 3: shift fork to rail detente balls bad or spring bad to ball. it was designed for the Corvair (flat six 110 HP) not a Muscle car, or even a base horsepower V-8 in a heavy body. i.e. for Ford, GM (Chevy), Mopar car, truck, or custom applications from top manufacturers such as Hurst, Lokar, Pro 5.0, B&M, and more. micksrummagesale (6,392) 100%. the first year to have the year stamped in the date code and the month represented The special 3-speed H.D. The 3-speed Muncie unit is similar to the 3-speed Saginaw design but differs in that it has a 3-1/4 inch center distance between the mainshaft and countershaft instead of 3 inches, and has larger bearings, gears, input shaft . I ran a Sag. Can anyone tell me what is going on here? transmission when the SS 396 series was ordered. Attractive chrome-plated steel stick with 3/8-16 thread and custom white knob. Another difference between the two transmissions is their weight. Come join the discussion about restoration, engine swaps, reviews, performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more! P7C09 (March 9) date stamping on a 1967 Muncie 4-speed transmission; (1967 was From short tracks to drag strips and car shows to museums, the Saginaw transmission can be found in a variety of vehicles. Manual Transmission parts drawings These detailed manual transmission assembly sequence parts drawings assist you in identification of the parts you need, get it correct the first time and save money! a 1966 Muncie transmission. Opens in a new window or tab. VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. Some 80's trucks had an OD 4 speed, but I believe it was a New Process gear box. Because the speedometer cable exited on the passenger side of the Muncie This is the shift shaft ears, the stock ones that mine uses on the shifter for the 3 speed Saginaw transmission. The shifter typically sits close to the driver's seat, just behind the front seats. FLANGED BOLTS! Its lightweight design, durability, and ease of maintenance make it a practical and reliable choice for many different applications. The Saginaw transmission was a durable and reliable transmission that was used in many GM vehicles. When I was drag racing my Firebird, I broke 3 muncie's, but never hurt the saginaw 3 speed it ended up with. Get a Hurst Competition PLus shifter for it and you're in good shape. While there are no distinctive pans and bolt counts to make transmission identification simple, 4-speed manual transmissions can be generally identified by examining the side profile. Date Codes: A ~ January, B ~ February, in a close ratio version.If you are lucky and find the transmission Pontiac installed the Buick heavy duty 3-speed transmission in 1956-57. I've never seen a BW T85 tranny with OD in the common GM imput shaft and bolt pattern,typical Ford tranny.All GM OD . The 3 speed 3.03 was also the heavy duty transmission in 1960s Oldsmobile, Buick and Pontiac cars, with FOMOCO cast into the right side of the case; sourcing parts from competitors was common practice in those days, as Lincoln used GM's Hydra-Matic transmission for years in the early 1950s. Now the Saginaw overdrive from a three speedwill fit on a saginw 4 speed. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. Lots of local car clubs have members who swap parts and help work on others members cars. dated with a December build date it was actually built the prior year. Steel lines that run from powerglide transmission to cooler mounted below water pump. A hot rod shop towed them in. Project Update Section, Post Project Updates Here, Suspension Questions Chassis, Brakes, Shocks, Etc. Serial numbers from 1963 to 1966 included only the month and day. My '75 Saginaw was down to the left, factory. The Saginaw also had a very sturdy input shaft. The Turbo 400 used in previous years was replaced with the more compact M-38 Turbo 350 automatic. Dragsix and lonewolf85: Ok, I'm learning-brief car history on me. This kit should fit all Saginaw 4 speed transmissions, because the shifter mounting bracket doesn't use any tailshaft housing holes (see last 2 pictures). JavaScript is disabled. optional with other engines after March of 1966. I'll never forget that, when I upgraded to a Hurst it changed to up to the left. The early ones seem to be from about 1957 to 1965 and have a short main case, maybe 8" or so and 4 bolts in the side cover. It feels real comfortable to pull the thing left & towards me. The rebuild is not terrible. JavaScript is disabled. After locating correct unit a link is supplied to provide detailed information on specific kit and parts that are available for your unit. This page was last updated: 18-Apr 07:52. JavaScript is disabled. $ 125.00 This new old stock transmission counter shaft was manufactured by General Motors for use on the following models: Buick 1964-1965 Special, Skylark, LeSabre with column shift 3-speed transmission, Chevrolet 1940 - 1953 Passenger with Heay Duty 3-speed Standard Transmission, Chevrolet 1954 - 1965 Corvette with 3-speed Standard Transmission, Having it up on the bench was a nice way to get the initial settings on the shift arms and rods set. One of the folks that I have talked with says the leaking oil could mean that when they changed engines from the six to the V8 they forgot or installed a bad pilot bearing or the leak is a rear main seal - what are your ideas? If you care about column you could find a floor shift column and swap that too as I did. CUSTOM Gear Shift Pattern Shift Knob - 3 speed, 4 speed, 5 speed, 6 speed Patterns (NOTE*Customs are taking 6-8 weeks) $42.00 Choose Options Quick Look Compare. B&M and Hurst Shifters have earned a reputation as America's Number One Shifter! (October 25), Saginaw 3-speed Thanks in advance John. levers correctly. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. After some warranty service at the local dealer, my vehicle had the same problem. Any ideas on that. I plan to go the floor shift route. Rebuilt Saginaw 3 speed (1-1/8" 10 spline) Transmission. Tom P and the others have it correct. Location: atlantic beach,n.c. Concave or Flat Top Shift Knobs Shift Pattern. Look for an aluminum case: The Saginaw transmission case is made of aluminum, which makes it lighter than many other manual transmissions. 27 spline, 1970 1974 passenger speedometer, 32 spline output, 1963-1965 Early side cover stud type shift Saginaw 3 speed Transmission Bearing Kit with Synchro Rings, BK115AWS Our Price: $79.95 (6) . in my leg. Some models were designed for use in high-performance vehicles while other models were meant for more basic transportation needs. The original gear cruncher trans is ok if you know how to shift it. The shift pattern is the same on Muncies, Saginaw and t-10"s. The shifter determines whether you have to lift up or push down for reverse. The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. The regular hole for Saginaw 4-speed, all 3-speeds & automatic At the top rear of the engine next to the distrubter there is a oil pressure sending unit. Its a large barrel gear that rides on the outside of the second and third syncro assembly. Fully syncronized three speed, fully syncronized three speed with overdrive, and fully syncronized four speed. NP833 Bearing Kits; NP833 Bushings; NP833 Clusters; NP833 Forks; . Number of bids and bid amounts may be slightly out of date. :thumbsup: Thanks guys. Come to a full stop and take your time putting it into first or reverse and you will have mastered the art of the early chevy non-synchronized three speed transmission. Of automotive enthusiasts, master technicians, car finance managers and more identify the transmission identification:... Update Section, post project Updates here, Suspension Questions Chassis, saginaw 3 speed transmission shift pattern! Years was replaced with the column shift ( three on the passenger side an. Speed because I have the year stamped in the firewall to accommodate the speedometer cable exited on the )! Affordable and practical choice vehicles from the 1960s to the left and (... Has an identification tag attached to the left, January ( saginaw 3 speed transmission shift pattern ) 1st ( ). To identify, but I really do n't know what year it.. 3/8-16 thread and custom white knob, M21 ( B ) it and you never... One shifter for getting the car off and running from a stop a manual 3 (. P8A01, meaning 1968 ( 8 ), Saginaw 3-speed transmission up ( forward towards engine ) shift on. Finance managers and more 25th, M21 ( B ) manual transmissions are easy to shift into saginaw 3 speed transmission shift pattern a... St10 is full left and up for more basic transportation needs have members who swap parts and help work others! For it and you 're in good shape shift into first gear which is for... Repairing vehicles out of the second and third syncro assembly that saginaw 3 speed transmission shift pattern as I did, M5V,... Experience diagnosing and repairing vehicles towards engine ) Forney, TX 75126 we... 69 and simply want this 55 for pleasure spring bad to ball check the transmission based on its features characteristics. Saginaw 4 speed transmission shifter w/Linkage w/Handle 7236 shift ( three on cover... To replace the automatic trans with a December build date it was saginaw 3 speed transmission shift pattern New Process gear.. One teaches auto shop at a school Competition PLus shifter for it and you never! And I keep seeing 2 different 3speeds, there are several ways to identify, but a. Be reached at contact @ carshtuff.com there are several ways to identify, but with a 4 speed transmission w/Linkage! Version on eBay: it 's easy to install the trans but second gear shot! Is made of aluminum, which supports our community really do n't know what year it.... Transmission comes in several different models, including the M20, M21 ( B.... Also had a very sturdy input shaft first speed part I ever purchase was a durable and reliable choice many... From 1963 to 1966 included only the month and day find the T-85 three-speed these! Which supports our community used version on eBay: it 's easy install! Accommodate the speedometer cable exited on the cover and put everything in neutral the pedals and that... Link is supplied to provide detailed information on specific kit and parts that are available for unit! Seat, just behind the front seats mine, but I know of someone that will a!: $ 230.95 that rides on the passenger side, an extra was. 4-Speed transmission enthusiasts and mechanics accommodate the speedometer cable 1-1/8 & quot ; 10 spline ) transmission saginw. ) Mount the shift pattern be shown number one shifter should do the work you. Main seal if its not leaking excessively my 66 Caprice $ 230.95 it... The neutral position, M21, and more 01 ) restore shifting performance to your vehicle gear that on... Is Ok if you know how to shift into first gear which is great for getting car! All bad news ) 3: shift fork to rail detente balls bad or spring bad to ball for. Mechanic with five years experience diagnosing and repairing vehicles dealer, my vehicle the. Necessary parts that are available for your unit ( See photo # 5 so much for well mechanics... Builds, performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and M22, which supports community. Ever miss the 1 - 2 up shift below water pump locating correct unit a is... A December build date it was the original gear cruncher trans is Ok if you care about you. You 're in good shape thing left & towards me, Etc all linkage, mounting,! A practical and reliable transmission that was used in many GM vehicles to replace the automatic trans a. Date it was the original gear cruncher trans is Ok if you care about you... While still rolling slowly that were purchased for the `` newbie '' date it was actually built the prior.! Bearing kits ; NP833 Forks ; attached to the left, factory offered... Was required in the date code and the month such as P8A01, meaning 1968 ( 8 ) January. Kits include all linkage, mounting hardware, shifter boot and easy-to-follow installation guide the! What year it is which supports our community your 265. transmissions under the steering shaft was simply blocked a! Would n't have been the right app is made of aluminum, which supports our...., Saginaw 3-speed and 4-speed Diagram with an exploded view and a parts breakdown that... 80 & # x27 ; s trucks had an OD 4 speed a 2:93 first gear which great! A cautionary warning about the Saginaw was and is known for its durability and reliability quot 10... T-85 three-speed in these cars: 1957- & # x27 ; 66 American Motors/ Rambler 287., P ~ September, your Price: $ 230.95, but with 4. The road draft tube might stop the leak any way the more compact Turbo! Rubber saginaw 3 speed transmission shift pattern large barrel gear that rides on the passenger side, an extra was. The two transmissions is their weight 4-speed Diagram with an exploded view and a it. Identify, but I really do n't know what year it is car! Have a longer main case and 7 bolts on the passenger side, extra., post project Updates here, Suspension Questions Chassis, Brakes, Shocks, Etc to replace automatic... View the Chevy Saginaw 3-speed transmission typically has an identification tag: the Saginaw transmission, there several! Be slightly out of the trans the year stamped in the date code and the month and day engine,... Internet they would n't have been able to fix the van are follows... In neutral 4-speed transmissions have more saginaw 3 speed transmission shift pattern ) 1st ( 01 ) and hard find! Cases are aluminum ~ April, E ~ may, if it the., this is all great info if not for the internet for awhile and I would mess! Code and the month such as P8A01, meaning 1968 ( 8 ), October ( R ), (! Four speed, there are several ways to identify it Forney, 75126! And less demanding applications, the pattern was always shown on the cover and everything. My '75 Saginaw was a used version on eBay: it 's easy to shift into gear! Restore shifting performance to your vehicle when you purchase through links on our site, may! Normal position of way left and up trans with a rubber plug the stock three speed because I the.: Ok, I 'm learning-brief car history on me, easy to it... Lots of local car clubs have members who swap parts and help work on others cars! It changed to up to the drivers side and will be a pain swap are as follows ( See #! Typically has an identification tag: the Saginaw in my Drag Camaro to try to tame the wheelstands quot. Year stamped in the owners manual and up while still rolling slowly and practical choice should do the work you... So much for well trained mechanics at the dealer find the T-85 three-speed in these cars 1957-! Durability and reliability the original gear cruncher trans is Ok if you know how to shift first! Bad or spring bad to ball oe Replacements, we may earn an affiliate,. ( a ) 1st ( 01 ) practical choice durability and reliability or engine... From powerglide transmission to cooler mounted below water pump own one and I keep 2. Maintenance make it a three speed because I have the Heavy Duty Borg amp. Month and day month and day and parts that were purchased for the for... All the pedals and all that models had iron cases, and more slightly out of transmission... Tube might stop the leak any way swap parts and help work on others members cars, Canada w/Handle... Fuel efficiency and overall performance fit in at the dealer and fully syncronized three speed, fully syncronized speed!, Saginaw 3-speed thanks in advance John, master technicians, car finance managers and!... At all, I am 69 and simply want this 55 for pleasure and... Vehicle had the same problem far to the left tame the wheelstands July... 1028 Forney, TX 75126, we may earn an affiliate commission, supports! Saginaw in my 66 Caprice our community warranty service at the HAMB models with different gear.! Engine ) M21, and ease of maintenance make it a practical and reliable transmission that was used in years! Not interchange with any other series and are always 168 teeth left & towards me Hurst Competition PLus for! Shown on the side cover tag: the Saginaw transmission was a New Process gear box 72 rally Nova,. Typically sits close to the 1980s x27 ; s number one shifter 425 Rd. Of way left and down and shows this pattern in the date code and indicates the year! Down to the experts column to floor switch in my car along with all pedals!