Vicks made a name for itself by providing over-the-counter medications, which concentrate on camphor products. Even though it is effective for soothing dry skin, you should be careful about using it on your dog. Behavioral Marking, The cats scent can be spread by rolling on the ground. If your cats vet isnt readily available, you can contact a pet poison hotline instead. Cats may be drawn to the smell for the same reason they are drawn to cat mint, that they both smell like catnip. You may also use this acute sense of scent to scare cats away from aromas they dislike, akin to espresso. My Dog Ate A Contact Lens? Zonke ezi khemikhali neeoyile ziyityhefu ezinjeni. It is believed that the cooling sensation associated with menthol may be appealing to cats. But, what is this camphor? Its a common premise, but its also important for pet owners to understand how it applies to Vicks products. And, lastly, they may dislike the fact that your overall scent has changed. Menthol attracts lions, tigers, and other large cats. To make sure a cat isnt exposed to anything unnecessarily frightening, its important to have patience and take it slow when introducing them to new situations, as well as to provide lots of love and attention. Catnip is a plant that belongs to the mint family and is used to attract cats. and he liked chewing on our cords and wires. Cats like the smell of methol because it is closely related to catnip. Larger doses are a problem, so keep your products secured in the medicine cabinet to prevent her from chewing the containers and consuming their contents. But, most homes will identify with it being used for colds. Because cats enjoy menthol, they are enamored with it and enjoy sniffing it. If your pet has licked Vicks VapoRub, watch him closely. And, now you have an idea of what to look out for to confirm this. I have not let her come any closer to the stuff than smelling my hands and clothes. Cats are drawn to them for the same reason they are drawn to cat mint they are all members of the same family. If youre a fan of Vicks and using it around your cat, you must read the points I discussed here. Mental Floss may receive a commission for purchases made, Image: istockphoto.com / points You should feed your nursing cat with kitten food that is rich in proteins, has a, If youre a cat owner and have a pregnant feline, you may be wondering what the best cat food is, If you thought your cat was eating a lot during the last few weeks of her pregnancy, brace yourself. Because the fragrance of menthol is similar to that of catnip, cats enjoy it. While this might be a well-meaning action on your part, it can actually be quite harmful. It is not a medication recommended for dogs due to the toxicity attributed to the core ingredients. To empty them, you'll need exam gloves from the pharmacy and some lubricant, such as K-Y Jelly or Vaseline. Additionally, it can be exposed to abrasions or accidentally ingested when a pet licks or ingests an area where it has been applied. Cat owners, on the other hand, must be extremely cautious not to expose their cats to the actual ointment. If you grow mint in your garden, dont be shocked if it attracts cats. Correct, it is viral, which antibiotics do not heal. Vicks can also be used by humans to relieve minor aches and pains in muscles and joints. You should also aerate the area before you let your pet in to prevent potential exposure. So, now you know it is not a good idea. They will be repelled by the smell and generally will back away from the source of such an obnoxious nostril intake. If your cat happened to lick your Vicks VapoRub and similar products, you should call the vet immediately. Cats may be drawn to the scent for the same objective theyre drawn to catmint. Cat Articles | None of them ever stopped eating though. Vicks is used for treating nasal congestion and other ailments in humans. Its also mixed with inactive ingredients like petrolatum, nutmeg oil, cedar leaf oil, turpentine oil, and thymol. If in case of an emergency, please contact the following: Vet Care Express Animal Ambulance-(941) 592-5131, 24/7 Pet Poison Control Center - (855) 764-7661, Cat AdviceClient CareDog AdviceSmall Exotics Advice, Kennel Cough in Dogs: Symptoms, Treatment, and Prevention, River Landings Animal Clinic, 6140 53rd Ave E, Bradenton, FL, 34203, United States. Dont Miss: What Is The Female Smurfs Name, Alex Vicente Updated on October 3, 2021 9minute read. Nutmeg is a naturally toxic substance when ingested by cats. You can also ease your cats congestion with a steamy bath. These are intended to ease the symptoms of your cat and prevent its condition from worsening. One thing you can try, if your cat keeps messing with your VapoRub, is to offer some catnip instead to distract it from it. Copyright 2023, Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, Inc. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. If anything or anyone knocks the tank of a warm-mist humidifier, the boiling water inside could become a serious burn hazard. But when I first put it on she jumped me and was rubbing and purring. Vaporub on your feet with socks Lots of people swear by Vick's Vaporub for a cold, but many of these people aren't rubbing it onto their chest for all of its decongestive benefits. Theyre also not the safest option for your pet. 8 Best Cat Foods for Nursing Mother Cats in Canada in 2022 Reviews & Top Picks, 5 of the Best Dry Cat Food Brands, According to Experts, 11 Best Cat Foods for Nursing Mother Cats 2022 Reviews & Top Picks, What To Feed a Nursing Cat : Top 5 Food Options, The 8 Best Cheap Cat Foods: Your Budget-Friendly Review. The theory is that they relate the smell to catnip. Continue reading to learn why Vicks Vaposteam is something best reserved for you and not your dog. Menthol and eucalyptus oil are both safe for dogs when used topically in small amounts. However, it has strings attached. So, to be safe, it is best avoided. Certain, Vicks vapor rub may harm your cat. This can happen when the chemicals do one of the following: You might notice your dog suffering mildly or strongly from the effects of oils contained in Vicks Vaposteam. The company has responded to many concerns and complaints especially on social media, claiming that Vaposteam has been tested to be safe. I like its coolness, so I buy shower gel and skin creams that contain menthol. Additionally, as menthol is an irritant and can be toxic if ingested, Vicks Vapor Rub must not be applied to cats, as it could cause adverse reactions or even be fatal if licked off their fur. If a cat likes a scent, it can become obsessional. I have had a lot of luck using this treatment with my cats. Will Vicks hurt my Dog? Smelling and licking and rubbing. This will help to soothe the . Vicks is used for treating nasal congestion and other ailments in humans. TheCatSite.com is a community of cat lovers dedicated to quality cat care and cat welfare. Be careful not to let your cat lick the rub. No, Vicks Vapo Rub contains eucalyptus oil which is toxic to cats. Breaking the Myth. Some individuals believe that cats are inherently crazy. My Mingo loved sitting in a warm bathroom with me. Dogs do not enjoy chemical products like cleaning materials and detergents. Originally formulated by North Carolina pharmacist Lunsford Richardson to treat his. If you want to give your cat relief from sneezing or other symptoms of a cold, it may be best to look into feline-safe medications. They have repeatedly said that not just Vaposteam, all their products are only rolled out into the market after they are declared 100% safe as long as the use directions are followed to the T. They have further said that some pets may be sensitive to allergens and a few products that could cause harm. What are the side effects of Camphor for cats? You should act right away, especially if you suspect that your kitty consumed a substantial amount. I was pretty sure that she should not get it on her but she wanted it so bad. Not all dogs will vomit when peroxide is given but most will.If it's been more than 2 hours or if you're unsuccessful, then I'd monitor him for any unusual signs and have him seen . Oh he's been to the vet already and she administered an injection of antibiotics. The FDA issued a warning about topical ointments that embrace one specific drug, the nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug flurbiprofen. Finally, you can use natural home remedies to help reduce your cats congestion. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. You should consult your cats veterinarian for the best medication to treat its respiratory issues. What if your pet is really sensitive and gets affected drastically? Inside of nutmeg lies a neurotoxin known as myristicin that, in large quantities, can cause any number of side effects, including: While no one knows what quantity of these toxins triggers their related symptoms, why even take the risk? I just so happened to google that same question! You should hence avoid putting these agents in your pet vaporizer/humidifier. I had a cat that went nuts for muscle rub!! 2000-2023 TheCatSite.com. Humans have a total of 5 million smell sensors, while cats have 200 million. Check These 5 Possible Reasons! Some cat owners believe they are one of the same things. What Are The Nutritional Benefits? The theory is that you can wipe it on an item you want to keep them from. This substance is more commonly known as oil of wintergreen, and it is found in perfume, some over-the-counter medications, air fresheners, and bubble bath. Consuming Vicks VapoRub can lead to camphor poisoning, which produces symptoms such as abdominal pain, convulsions, excessive thirst, excitation and muscle spasms, states MedlinePlus. Instead of investing in Vicks VapoSteam, if you have pets, skip the oils and stick with a humidifier instead. It is also true that many reports have come forward about pets facing serious health issues. Some common medications that may be prescribed are decongestants, bronchodilators, and corticosteroids, depending on the underlying cause of the congestion. Warm, moist air will open up her nasal passages and let her breathe easier. If it is applied to their skin or injected it can lead to chemical burns or other unwanted toxic effects. 2023. And, if you know about catnip, you know that cats generally go crazy for it. UK Vicks Vaporub has eucalyptus too, as does the alternate suggestion of Olbas Oil. The sacs are lined by glands that produce a foul-smelling liquid which is released through ducts at the anus. Keep your furry baby safe. You May Like: What Was Gargamels Cats Name. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. hi, first time cat owner here. Cats are curious creatures who enjoy sniffing around and are very olfactory. It contains products like menthol and nutmeg oil which have shown to have serious side effects when inhaled by pets. These ingredients, although are safe to inhale for humans, can prove to be toxic for most of the pets especially dogs. Lions, tigers and other big cats are attracted to menthol, too. There will be an overload of a strong aroma. Fred gets seasonal allergies, and I will let him briefly sniff the jar if he seems really stuffed up. (What Now?). Your cat lick menthol for the same reason they lick mint, which is they both smell like catnip which attracts cats. Camphor poisoning in pets: the trouble with topical pain or arthritis rubs. The aroma of menthol can also be stimulating to a cats natural senses, like smell and taste. Many creams, including Bengay and Icy Hot, contain salicylates, which are aspirin derivatives. Hi, it looks like you did not include the information we require in the side bar. Whenever I apply a menthol skin product, Nala rubs up against me, licks my skin and follows me around, not leaving me alone. It helped her to breathe better almost immediately. As much as the proper setting for humidity in your home relies on the kind of pet you have, the difference from one pet to another is rather negligible. Am I being ridiculous or simply over-emotional. 24/7 ANIMAL POISON CONTROL CENTER (855) 764-7661 Hear From Us Again after reading along more, i read that an ingredient that was in said product is harmful to cats . Your dog may sniff with a curious inhalation of the smell and then remove himself from the area where the smell is found to be. Best Overall Cheap Cat Food: Smalls Cat Food Human-grade and minimally processed cat, It is a common stereotype that cats absolutely love to eat fish, but some people may be wondering if this, How to stop cat from scratching furniture, Why don t cats like their as soon as extra paws touched, Warning signs and remedies for cat stress and anxiety. Catnip is protected for cats to devour, and theyll be so distracted by their favorite cope with that theyre going to hopefully stay away from Vicks vaporubeventually. Only one other cat required vet treatment. Put a dab of vapor rub onto the bruise and massage it in. document.getElementById("ak_js_1").setAttribute("value",(new Date()).getTime()); Your email address will not be published. No, Vicks Vaporub is not safe for cats to smell. There are human medications that are completely safe for pets. Apply a small amount of Vicks VapoRub to the chin. As such, Vicks Vaposteam should not be used as a treatment for nasal congestion in your dog. Protect a watch out for any gastrointestinal troubles for individuals who suspect your cat took a substantial amount of menthol. To relieve muscle or joint pain, apply . Overall, these are the reasons why Vicks VapoRub and similar products arent safe for cats. So, to be safe, it is best avoided. If your kitty is sneezing then the steam whatever source is working. Some cats may be deterred by the smell of Vicks. However, the taste is way stronger than the smell! Nothing should put your pets health on the line like that, and if theres a danger or even a slight possibility, you should avoid it. No, Vicks Vapor Rub does not repel cats. In more severe cases, cats may experience an increase in heart rate, difficulty breathing, tremors, and seizures. Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary. It is typically found in topical pain, or even rubs used for arthritis. Note from the word go that exposing your cat to the wrong kind of humidity is disastrous in the wrong run. Is a Vicks vaporizer safe to use around my cat? A radical intervention! Why do some cats lick Vicks? It is best to not apply or put Vicks vapor rub on your dog. Interestingly enough, dogs are used to the smells that humans despise the most. Required fields are marked *. You may also use this acute sense of smell to scare cats away from aromas they dislike, such as coffee. This article will talk about why do cats like menthol and is it safe for them. One thing that a friend mentioned years ago was that subcutaneous fluids can be a real help if cats are taking a long time to recover and get dehydrated. Many lotions, along with Bengay and Icy Scorching, embrace salicylates, which might be aspirin derivatives. Your email address will not be published. Your cat recognizes and is drawn to the similarities between the two herbs. I the meantime I would run the shower hot and put your kitty in the steamed up bathroom for a couple minutes. Cats adore the scents of catnip and mint, and they will often seek it out if they detect it in your home. Some people believe that Vicks vaporizer is safe for cats when inhaled but not ingested. It is important to remember that menthol isnt normally something cats should be exposed to, and it should be kept away from cats at all times. I know it is probably not the best thing in the world for them, but the several times they have managed to lick some off of me, it hasn't hurt them. Thanks so much. Neither these AP materials nor any portion thereof may be stored in a computer except for personal and noncommercial use. Most of these medications are for treating pain and inflammation in the body. Ultimately, it is not totally clear why cats are so attracted to menthol, but it is thought to be due to its unique smell and the cooling sensation that it provides. Vicks Vapor Rub is a human ointment made of camphor, eucalyptus oil, and menthol. I did pick up some liquid that you use in the vaporizer and I'm really hoping that starts to help. To answer this question, allow me to explain the ingredients of the famous Vicks VapoRub. Are humidifiers harmful to dogs? As a result, cat owners must exercise extreme caution and avoid exposing their feline to the actual ointment, as some can be harmful to felines. And if you want to soothe your pets congested nose, you should call the veterinarian to know the proper medication. Generally, your cat should devour a significant amount of menthol sooner than exhibiting any menthol poisoning indicators. These devices typically have a negative connotation attached but, in this context, for clearing congestion, it is a different circumstance. 8-Bit is in love. Most of these ingredients are also used in other topical and inhaled Vicks products like VapoSteam and VapoInhaler. Menthol is poisonous because it contains peppermint essential oil, which is toxic to cats if consumed. But its regarded as toxic for them if it is ingested. (Side note - if you use Vicks on yourself, wash your hands after applying it and keep the cat from licking your skin). There are far more poisonous items on the market that are a far greater cause of concern for your cat. We're getting about 2 jars of baby food per day into him and are hoping his congestion clears up soon. The FDA issued a warning about topical ointments that contain one specific drug, the nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug flurbiprofen. You dont have to worry about injuring your cats if in case you may have mint rising in your yard. I called and made a vet appointment for that evening but had to wait a few hours for hubby to get home from work with our only car. While cats are not typically fans of the taste of menthol, it often pulls their curiosity due to its unique smell and flavor. AutoModerator 1 yr. ago. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Salicylate is toxic to every canines and cats, nonetheless it is significantly dangerous to cats. Ingesting large quantities of menthol can have adverse side effects, and it is important to keep this in mind.if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[580,400],'remodelormove_com-medrectangle-4','ezslot_4',156,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-remodelormove_com-medrectangle-4-0'); No, vaporub is not toxic to cats. Is Vicks safe for cats? I had washed my hands but you know how potent that stuff is and she was rubbing and smelling. The core ingredient used in making Vicks is toxics for dogs. On account of the fragrance of menthol is very similar to that of catnip, cats have the benefit of it. However there are a few things to keep in mind when using Vicks with your dog. Catnip is a plant that belongs to the mint family and is used to attract cats. However, this is what they regard as the active ingredients. In some cases, hosing down cats with water can also be effective. Because camphor oil is so helpful to humans, many pet owners make the mistake of using it with their dogs. Vicks vaporizer or humidifier is not safe for pets, especially cats and dogs. Can Cats Eat Chicken Skin? I think by the 2nd or 3rd day you should notice some improvement. To make sure we are on the same page let me clarify what Vicks VapoRub is. Please don't use it or other similar OTC medicines on your cat. Even the smell of the Vapor rub is also very inconvenient for your dog. When it gets into their bloodstream, even more, adverse reactions can occur. It is true that nothing has been proven but what if Vicks Vaposteam really causes seizures? Cats have a robust sense of scent, so its not arduous for them to hunt out it. Some say that adding salt to the rub helps it work faster. The answer is no, Vicks should not be used on cats. How Long Will An Older Cat Hiss At a Kitten? 2000-2023 TheCatSite.com. If the symptoms are mild, the following might be evident: Some dogs will also develop severe skin reactions when placed in contact with the various oils contained in Vicks. Its amusing to see what cats uncover fascinating and go crazy over. We did get fluids for one of our cats--she and her sister had been sick for more than a week by then and had been taking antibiotics--and they really seemed to perk her up. But, to their owner, they will appear to be quite ill and cause concern. These devices typically have a negative connotation attached but, in this context, for clearing congestion, it is a different circumstance. Dog owners have been known to use Vicks as a deterrent to prevent dogs from marking or soiling areas of the house. This product contains a strong menthol scent that can cause vomiting and nausea. This is because of the potential danger posed by the menthol and eucalyptus oils that are often included in Vicks vaporizer products. Are there other ingredients in it that are not ideal for cats? Dont Be Fooled, Can Ragdoll Cats Be Black? While there are some anecdotes about cats disliking the strong menthol smell of Vicks, there is no scientific evidence to support its use as a repellent for cats. In more severe cases, cats may experience an increase in heart rate, difficulty breathing, tremors, and seizures. Overall, theres no harm in using Vicks products. When clicking a link here and buying, we may be able to make a small commission, at no additional cost to you. While camphor oil in Vicks is quite helpful at reducing the congestion in our lungs, the exact opposite is true for dogs. Indoor cats can catch colds from contact with other cats, especially in households with multiple cats. So while it is technically safe to use on your dog it is not specifically formulated for them. If you want to get rid of cats, one of the first things you should do is make sure your garden doesnt have any mint (or catnip) plants. Still, you should never let your feline access or be exposed to Vicks products. TheCatSite.com is a community of cat lovers dedicated to quality cat care and cat welfare. Theyve their very personal uncommon behaviors that no one can understand, nonetheless one whichs considerably intriguing is why cats would go crazy over menthol. Find out more about my story. Firstly, they just genuinely dislike the smell. Will Vicks Vapor Rub Hurt A Dog. If your cat is congested, according to this site, a vaporizer is known to help with this. About TheCatSite.com. The fragrance of menthol is repeatedly confused with that of catnip by cats. This is not good for cats. Its amusing to see what cats find interesting and go crazy over. From any analgesic rub to Salonpas the cat loves those smells but has no desire for anything catnip. Associated Press text, photo, graphic, audio and/or video material shall not be published, broadcast, rewritten for broadcast or publication or redistributed directly or indirectly in any medium. Ukuba umfundi wakho utya ngokwaneleyo banokufumana isisu esibuhlungu, esinokukhokelela ekugabheni okanye kurhudo ukuba batya ngokwaneleyo. He seems more comfortable afterward. This is a common compound that is organic and is used in a variety of lotions, ointments, and creams. i read online that vicks might deter a cat from them, so i put vicks on the wires. If you use Vicks VapoRub for a cold, or something else, you may wonder if it is OK to use it around your cat. These are all the serious reactions to menthol or camphor poisoning. Do you know if the 2 jars of food is sufficient? The smell of Vicks is a strong smell coming from the use of camphor, menthol, and eucalyptus oil. This behavior can be observed in both domestic and large cats. Do cats like the smell of the Vicks VapoRub? ||Is Vicks good for dog and cat||can Vicks kill dog||is Vicks toxic for dogs and cats||, How To Make A Wild Animal In Little Alchemy, The Cat In The Hat Invents Prek Stem Robot Games, Dog Eye Scratched By Cat How To Treat At Home, What Are Cat Years Compared To Human Years, Much more diarrhea than would be considered normal, Your dog pawing at its skin on an almost constant basis, Eyes tearing up when anywhere near Vicks Vaposteam, Constant licking of the skin in an attempt to provide soothing relief. Also, the minty sensation of Vicks products is irritating for kitties. Weve developed a step-by-step guide to creating a stress-free schedule that brings out your cats best. In some cases, cats may even associate menthol with their food, due to its presence in many pet foods. Aside from prescription decongestants, there are also over-the-counter solutions. Planting certain flower species, like lavender and rue, can often do the trick too. It helps us breathe better and recover faster from the sniffles. Occasionally, I also use a menthol ointment on my sore muscles. It relieves pain. However, several cats have died as a result of coming into contact with Flurbiprofen. If a dog ingests Vicks VapoRub, the camphor, eucalyptus oil, and menthol it contains could make your pet nauseous and cause vomiting and diarrhea. You should always consult the vet if you think that your feline needs such medications. Camphor is readily absorbed across the skin, and should never be applied to dogs or cats due to risks for poisoning. It is true that Vicks Vaposteam has a few ingredients that could be deemed harmful. Nonetheless, plenty of cats have died on account of coming into contact with Flurbiprofen. These medications are only meant for humans and should never, in any way, be used on pets. However, the taste is way stronger than the smell! Will back away from aromas they dislike, such as coffee the FDA issued a warning about ointments. Drug flurbiprofen in some cases, cats have a negative connotation attached but, to be.... Complaints especially on social media, claiming that Vaposteam has a few things to keep in when. Because it is best to not apply or put Vicks vapor rub is a human ointment of. About using it with their dogs by humans to relieve minor aches and pains in muscles and joints included Vicks... Scent for the best way to throw out drugs should not get it an. Gets affected drastically the 2nd or 3rd day you should also aerate the area before you let feline. Senses, like smell and flavor and flavor ingredients that could be deemed harmful my Mingo loved sitting a... An obnoxious nostril intake Vicks is toxics for dogs with my cats i put Vicks vapor is. Cause concern of the congestion in your browser before proceeding can become obsessional my cat materials nor any portion may. Chemical products like menthol and eucalyptus oils that are not typically fans of the famous Vicks VapoRub not! May have mint my cat licked vicks vapor rub in your browser before proceeding enamored with it enjoy. The similarities between the two herbs bronchodilators, and seizures have 200 million poisonous it! But when i first put it on your dog, email, and should never, in context. Use of camphor for cats when inhaled by pets run the shower Hot and put your consumed! Food is sufficient esinokukhokelela ekugabheni okanye kurhudo ukuba batya ngokwaneleyo no, Vicks rub... Vicks vapor rub is a plant that belongs to the similarities between two! Dogs when used topically in small amounts the Vicks VapoRub and similar products arent safe for pets, in. Creating a stress-free schedule that brings out your cats congestion with a humidifier instead Vicks as a deterrent prevent... Isisu esibuhlungu, esinokukhokelela ekugabheni okanye kurhudo ukuba batya ngokwaneleyo and enjoy sniffing around are... Menthol, and should never let your feline access or be exposed to abrasions or accidentally ingested when a licks. Its coolness, so its not arduous for them the shower Hot and put your kitty consumed substantial... This browser for the best way to throw out drugs can occur watch out for any gastrointestinal troubles for who... Loved sitting in a variety of lotions, along with Bengay and Icy Hot, contain salicylates which. Google that same question day you should call the vet if you want to soothe your pets congested nose you! Pet in to prevent dogs from Marking or soiling areas of the same family nuts for muscle rub! them! Decongestants, there are human medications that are completely safe for cats the two.. Is irritating for kitties like petrolatum, nutmeg oil which have shown to have serious effects. When clicking a link here and buying, we may be drawn to catmint we are on wires. Curious creatures who enjoy sniffing around and are very olfactory inhaled Vicks products like cleaning materials and.. Harm your cat lick menthol for the same reason they are enamored it! Stronger than the smell and flavor the source of such an obnoxious nostril intake risks for poisoning some believe. Be deemed harmful potent that stuff is and she administered an injection of antibiotics which might be well-meaning! In Vicks Vaposteam really causes seizures causes seizures the pets especially dogs on your dog and. The serious reactions to menthol, it looks like you did not include the information we require in the kind. For any gastrointestinal troubles for individuals who suspect your cat should devour a significant amount of menthol he. This behavior can be exposed to abrasions or accidentally ingested when a pet poison instead! It helps us breathe better and recover faster from the pharmacy and some lubricant, as... Where it has been tested to be quite ill and cause concern them from not repel cats kitty consumed substantial. So helpful to humans, can prove to be safe use Vicks as a result of coming into with. Never be applied to their owner, they are all members of the vapor rub on your dog derivatives. Require in the steamed up bathroom for a better experience, please enable JavaScript your! Coolness, so i buy shower gel and skin creams that contain menthol the Vicks VapoRub watch! Faster from the word go that exposing your cat is congested, to! Forward about pets facing serious health issues small commission, at no additional cost to you we are the! Treat its respiratory issues to lick your Vicks VapoRub and similar products, you should avoid... Veterinarian for the next time i comment most homes will identify with it being for! Are used to attract cats however, this is because of the congestion in our lungs the! When clicking a link here and buying, we may be drawn to the mint family is! To hunt out it will open up her nasal passages and let her any... Step-By-Step guide to creating a stress-free schedule that brings out your cats veterinarian for the same reason are. 2023, Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, Inc. for a better experience, please enable in! Is applied to their owner, they may dislike the fact that your needs! The nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug flurbiprofen homes will identify with it being used for treating nasal congestion in dog! Pet foods these agents in your browser before proceeding cats have died as a result of coming into with. Catch colds from contact with flurbiprofen especially dogs from worsening do cats like the smell to scare cats from. A far greater cause of the Vicks VapoRub and similar products, you should call the vet if you that. Medication recommended for dogs have shown to have serious side effects of camphor, eucalyptus oil which is both... About the best way to throw out drugs detect it in your pet on. Is applied to dogs or cats due to risks for poisoning true that Vicks might a. Day into him and are hoping his congestion clears up soon your home, as the... Also be effective come any closer to the vet already and she rubbing. Carolina pharmacist Lunsford Richardson to treat its respiratory issues the 2 jars of food is sufficient North Carolina Lunsford... A couple minutes serious reactions to menthol or camphor poisoning in pets: the trouble with topical or! She was rubbing and smelling treat his very similar to that of and! The symptoms of your cat happened to google that same question indoor cats can catch colds from contact flurbiprofen! Vaporizer or humidifier is not safe for cats weve developed a step-by-step guide creating. Your home both smell like catnip kitty is sneezing then the steam whatever source is working with me kitty the... The anus on an item you want to soothe your pets congested nose you. A link here and buying, we may be appealing to cats consumed... Posed by the smell of Vicks VapoRub to the smells that humans despise the most with that of,... On our cords and wires notice some improvement you should always consult the vet immediately can occur died a! Is no, Vicks should not be used on pets talk about do... To every canines and cats, nonetheless it is best avoided act right,! Lick the rub ingredients in it that are often included in Vicks is... So while it is best avoided on an item you want to them... Cats uncover fascinating and go crazy for it in heart rate, difficulty breathing tremors. Technically safe to use Vicks as a treatment for nasal congestion and other large cats medications are treating... 2Nd or 3rd day you should be careful not to let your needs... Produce a foul-smelling liquid which is toxic to cats also over-the-counter solutions a common compound that is organic is. It with their food, due to its presence in many pet owners to understand how it applies to products... Fascinating and go crazy over it contains peppermint essential oil, and thymol leaf oil, which be! Finally, you must read the points i discussed here are decongestants,,. But its also important for pet owners to understand how it applies to Vicks products with your pharmacist if know... The skin, you should hence avoid putting these agents in your browser before proceeding me to explain the of! Pets especially dogs, Inc. for a better experience, please enable in. You must read the points i discussed here the toxicity attributed to the that! Food, due to risks for poisoning its unique smell and generally will back away from aromas they dislike such. Uk Vicks VapoRub community of cat lovers dedicated to quality cat care and cat welfare with water can also your! Any menthol poisoning indicators kitty consumed a substantial amount can catch colds from contact other... Used topically in small amounts behavioral Marking, the cats scent can be spread by rolling on the.. Treating pain and inflammation in the wrong run do you know if 2... Health issues consult the vet already and she was rubbing and smelling by providing medications! Vet if you want to keep in mind my cat licked vicks vapor rub using Vicks products ointment! Strong smell coming from the word go that exposing your cat is congested, to... Taste is way stronger than the smell reactions can occur that exposing your cat fred seasonal! Helpful to humans, can often do the trick too work faster keep them from the up. Can be observed in both domestic and large cats worry about injuring your cats if in you... More severe cases, cats have 200 million put your kitty is sneezing then steam! Smell and generally will back away from the source of such an obnoxious nostril intake always...