Animator Ben (Bugs) Hardaway inadvertently christened him when his casual sketch of a proposed rabbit character was labeled Bugss Bunny by a fellow employee. 1. In other words it's asking a perfectly legitimate question in a perfectly illogical situation. The result was influenced by Walt Disney Animation Studios' tendency to draw animals in the style of cute infants. This article was most recently revised and updated by, https://www.britannica.com/topic/Bugs-Bunny, Bugs Bunny - Student Encyclopedia (Ages 11 and up). I can finally Blog about my Redesign of "The Looney Tunes Show", "Bugs Bunny to Return in Direct-to-Video 'Rabbits Run', "Cartoon Network To Launch First Mini-Series, New Takes on Tom & Jerry, Bugs Bunny", "Bugs Bunny, Scooby-Doo Return in New Shows to Boost Boomerang", ""Bugs Bunny Builders" Join Looney Tunes Mania", "The Warner Brothers Cartoon Companion: A", "Other Abbott and Costello horror comedies are: Hold That Ghost (1941), Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948), Jack and", "What's Up, Doc? What cartoonists did by employing and reinforcing racist, hateful stereotypes was no accident. For example, Bugs says "What's up, dogs?" While every effort has been made to follow citation style rules, there may be some discrepancies. [4] Bugs is best known for his featured roles in the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies series of animated short films, produced by Warner Bros. That's not what you say at a time like that. It was co-directed by Ben "Bugs" Hardaway and an uncredited director Cal Dalton (who was responsible for the initial design of the rabbit). Buckaroo Bugs was Bugs' first film in the Looney Tunes series and was also the last Warner Bros. cartoon to credit Schlesinger (as he had retired and sold his studio to Warner Bros. that year).[23]. The postal service rejected many designs and went with a postal-themed drawing. Discover and Share the best GIFs on Tenor. Rate this quote: 5.0 / 1 vote 1,584 Views Guerrilla attacks by maroons continued until the end of slavery, despite numerous but ineffectual attempts to wipe out such settlements. He starred in over 160 theatrical animated short films of the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies series produced by Warner Bros. Cartoons and distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures. Tours of the village are offered to foreigners and a large festival is put on every January 6 to commemorate the signing of the peace treaty with the British after the, , for instance, reference is made to Nanny as, The Old. So much for that, heh. [28] Bugs also appeared in the 1942 two-minute U.S. war bonds commercial film Any Bonds Today?, along with Porky and Elmer. IMO this jackwagon deserves every lick of punishment he gets . Two dogs, fleeing the local dogcatcher, enter the rabbit's absent master's house. The company also published 81 issues of the joint title Yosemite Sam and Bugs Bunny from December 1970 to 1983. So, for the sake of expedience, Blanc munched and then spit the carrot bits into a spittoon, rather than swallowing them, and continued with the dialogue. $34.95. Omissions? Bugs Bunny : Hmm, I knew I should've taken that left turn at Albuquerque. $22.00. LIMITED EDITION BUGS BUNNY AS SUPERMAN 7" FIGURINE. Please do NOT discuss committing crimes of any sort unless you are a complete maroon! Haven't seen you! Its insulting to imply that I'm taking exception to the word being used to describe obnoxious Deplorables like Steve King who represents everything the Maroons fought against because of my failure to understand the sophistication and complexities of (racist) cartoons. The characters feature new designs by artist Jessica Borutski. [9] In those days, the stories were often the work of a group who suggested various gags, bounced them around and finalized them in a joint story conference. A malapropism and favorite expression of Bugs Bunny, after outwitting Elmer Fudd. Porky Pig is again cast as a hunter tracking a silly prey who is more interested in driving his pursuer insane and less interested in escaping. [29] From 1943 to 1946, Bugs was the official mascot of Kingman Army Airfield, Kingman, Arizona, where thousands of aerial gunners were trained during World War II. is a very simple thing. Ehwhat's up, Mac-doc?"). Robert McKimson drew the model sheet for the character, Freleng developed Bugss personality, Avery and Jones made further refinements, and Blanc infused him with his familiar wisecracking Brooklynese delivery. In the Bugs Bunny cartoon, he hides the real word 'Moron', meaning one of lower functioning intellect, by stretching it to the pun "What a Maroon". Where did this phrase originate? Cartoons from the 1930s and later often feature characters in blackface as well as other racial caricatures. I gotta admit that this topic is off the beaten path for RWN, but my curiosity about a phrase Bugs Bunny regularly uses got the best of me. ", "Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck Star in First Looney Tunes Scripted Podcast Series (Podcast News Roundup)", "MultiVersus: Shaggy, Batman & Arya Stark join Warner Bros crossover game", "Trailer: 'Bugs Bunny Builders' Breaks Ground on Cartoonito July 25", "Bugs Bunny tops greatest cartoon characters list", "CNN LIVE TODAY: 'TV Guide' Tipping Hat to Cartoon Characters", "Eric Andre's nearest comedic equivalent may be Bugs Bunny", "The Wabbit We-negatiotes: Looney Tunes in a Conglomerate Age", "Charlie Thorson and the Temporary Disneyfication of Warner Bros. Cartoons", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Bugs_Bunny&oldid=1149376528, This page was last edited on 11 April 2023, at 21:01. And here I was feeling all proud of myself. Heeding the advice of James Jackson, commander of the Georgia militia, the governors of South Carolina and Georgia launched a joint mission against the maroons. Bugs Bunny was conceived at Leon Schlesingers animation unit at Warner Brothers studios. "Some people call me cocky and brash, but actually I am just self-assured. 4. The German publisher Condor published a 76-issues Bugs Bunny series (translated and reprinted from the American comics) in the mid-1970s. In 2015, as part of the 30th anniversary of Jordan Brand, Nike released a mid-top Bugs Bunny version of the Air Jordan I, named the "Air Jordan Mid 1 Hare", along with a women's equivalent inspired by Lola Bunny called the "Air Jordan Mid 1 Lola", along with a commercial featuring Bugs and Ahmad Rashad. [12] The rabbit character was popular enough with audiences that the Termite Terrace staff decided to use it again. He had a more elongated body, stood more erect, and looked more poised. Share it with your friends! One often-repeated story, which dates back to the 1940s,[69] is that Blanc was allergic to carrots and had to spit them out to minimize any allergic reaction but his autobiography makes no such claim. "[67], The carrot-chewing scenes are generally followed by Bugs' most well-known catchphrase, "What's up, Doc? Please refer to the appropriate style manual or other sources if you have any questions. What could explain that? Promote your YouTube video here More random definitions Share the best GIFs now >>> It offends me. After numerous complaints by whites, a bounty was placed on the General's head, and special hunting parties succeeded in routing the fugitives and killing the General. Exclusive WB 100 Looney Tunes x Casablanca Adult Short Sleeve T-Shirt. $19.99 + $5.50 shipping. They do not exist in the same moral universe as Maroons. [13], The rabbit comes back in Prest-O Change-O (1939), directed by Chuck Jones, where he is the pet rabbit of unseen character Sham-Fu the Magician. He was written well. [66], "'What's up Doc?' The Maroons of Jamaica, for example, didnt just flee from slavery, that is but less than one third the story. Mel Blanc gave the character a voice and laugh much like those he later used for Woody Woodpecker. . They put the fear of God in slaveowners and colonial administrators alike. [25] In company with cartoon studios such as Disney and Famous Studios, Warners pitted its characters against Adolf Hitler, Benito Mussolini, Francisco Franco, and the Japanese. It all started when I aped Bugs Bunny and said, what a maroon in reference to Congressman James Moran in The 2nd Annual Twenty Most Annoying Liberals In The United States The 2003 Edition. Anyway, the phrase that came to mind is: When Elmer Fudd, while trying to hunt down Bugs Bunny with his shotgun, would do something unbelievably crazy, self-defeating or moronic that sabotaged his efforts, Bugs would be viewing the debacle from a distance, nibble on a carrot, and then turn and look at the camera/audience and remark, "What a Please do NOT discuss committing crimes of any sort unless you are a complete maroon! $25.00 + $8.95 shipping. In Haiti, they chased both the British and the French armies outta town. He did not star in a Looney Tunes film until that series made its complete conversion to only color cartoons beginning in 1944. Corrections? [26] One US Navy propaganda film saved from destruction features the voice of Mel Blanc in "Tokyo Woes"[27] (1945) about the propaganda radio host Tokyo Rose. He used one variation, "What's all the hub-bub, bub?" Toon Marooned is a webtoon series from Looney Tunes that stars Bugs Bunny as the host of a Survivor contest for nine Looney Tunes to win $100 at Festeroon. As mentioned earlier, this line was taken from Groucho Marx. The film also introduced the character Lola Bunny, who becomes Bugs' new love interest. The treaty is still important, as it defines the territorial rights of the Maroons in thegold-rich inlands of Suriname.[22]. Lewis was captured, tried, and hanged. One ofThomas Jeffersonsgreatest achievements was the Louisiana Purchase, in which the United States acquired 828,800 square miles of the French territory La Louisiane in 1803. Throughout its run, the series was highly successful, and helped cement Warner Bros. [36] He did not appear in new material on-screen again until Bugs and Daffy's Carnival of the Animals aired in 1976. [13][14] In promotional material for the cartoon, including a surviving 1939 presskit, the name on the model sheet was altered to become the rabbit's own name: "Bugs" Bunny (quotation marks only used, on and off, until 1944). Unlike Mickeys indistinct everyman persona, however, Bugs is shrewd, irreverent, quick-witted, and outspoken and has a strong predisposition for carrots, practical jokes, and catchphrases such as Whats up, Doc? Of course, you know, this means war! and What a maroon! He occasionally appears with other animated protagonists such as Daffy Duck and Porky Pig, and his most frequent nemeses are Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam. Site content may be used for any purpose without explicit permission unless otherwise specified. of a scarlet cast rather than approaching crimson or purple.. This version of the rabbit was cool, graceful, and controlled. Back then "doc" meant the same as "dude" does today. That spurred me on to Dictionary.com where I looked the word up. To this day, the Jamaican Maroons are to a significant extent autonomous and separate from Jamaican society. [30] Bugs riding an air delivered torpedo served as the squadron logo for Marine Torpedo/Bomber Squadron 242 in the Second World War. Freleng's Knighty Knight Bugs (1958), in which a medieval Bugs trades blows with Yosemite Sam and his fire-breathing dragon (which has a cold), won an Academy Award for Best Cartoon Short Subject (becoming the first and only Bugs Bunny cartoon to win said award). Share the best GIFs now >>> The Danish publisher Egmont Ehapa produced a weekly reprint series in the mid-1990s. See west indies, slaves, african, caribbean 6. Embryonic versions of the character appeared in Warner cartoons as early as 1938, but not until A Wild Hare (1940) did Bugs appear in his familiar incarnation. 6. Despite this brutal warning, numerous instances of guerrilla attacks continued to be reported. In 2015, Bugs starred in the direct-to-video film Looney Tunes: Rabbits Run,[56] and later returned to television yet again as the star of Cartoon Network and Boomerang's comedy series New Looney Tunes (formerly Wabbit). only once, in Falling Hare. [20][68] As a result, the scene became a recurring element in subsequent cartoons. From the late 1970s through the early 1990s, Bugs was featured in various animated specials for network television, such as Bugs Bunny's Thanksgiving Diet, Bugs Bunny's Easter Special, Bugs Bunny's Looney Christmas Tales, and Bugs Bunny's Bustin' Out All Over. had a girdle around her waist with (I speak within compass) nine or ten different knives hanging in sheaths to it, many of which I have no doubt, had been plunged in human flesh and blood (Gottlieb, 2000, 25). Charlie Thorson, lead animator on the film, gave the character a name. Let's face it, Doc. $18.95. So much for that, heh. WB 100 Looney Tunes x The Wizard of Oz Eco Tote Bag. In the late 19th century, Yanga was named as a "national hero of Mexico" andEl Primer Libertador de las Americas". From this hardy group the fittest of the fit a band of warriors would emerge, a people brutalized and dehumanized but who would nonetheless arrive in the West with their spirits unbroken, their resolve unshaken, their heads unbowed. These websites were ranked using Alexa. Gaspar Yangaoften simplyYangaorNyanga(May 14, 1545 - )[1]was an African known for being the leader of amarooncolony of slaves in the highlands nearVeracruz,Mexico(then New Spain) during the early period ofSpanish colonial rule. Charter Club Men's Juniors Sz L 100% Merino Wool Knit Pullover Sweater Maroon. A descendant of such a slave. Racist, xenophobic, homophobic, Islamophobic, idiotic, Neo-Nazis are not maroons. Coincidentally, the film also features a minor character, Oscar Shapely, who addresses Peter Warne as "Doc", and Warne mentions an imaginary person named "Bugs Dooley" to frighten Shapely. In the West Indies and Guiana, a fugitive slave, or a free negro, living in the mountains.. In any case, Im actually interested enough to want to know the answer. to the knight in Knight-mare Hare, and "What's up, prune-face?" cartoons were filled with racist images and language, including Africans. So yeah, I do have the right word. Other slave resistance efforts against the French plantation system were more direct. But, Bugs Bunny calling someone a slave? What a maroon, what an ignoranimous: 50k: Gads, what a night, I'll never mix radish juice and carrot juice again: 64k: . They put the fear of God in slaveowners and colonial administrators alike in any,. ] the rabbit was cool, graceful, and `` What 's Doc! Thegold-Rich inlands of Suriname. [ 22 ] in slaveowners and colonial alike... More elongated body, stood more erect, and `` What 's,. Slave resistance efforts against the French armies outta town otherwise specified this line taken. Scarlet cast rather than approaching crimson or purple to want to know the answer a 76-issues Bugs from. I am just self-assured complete maroon Knight-mare Hare, and looked more poised [ 66 ] ``... French armies outta town the carrot-chewing scenes are generally followed by Bugs ' new maroon bugs bunny interest and brash but! Of the Maroons in thegold-rich inlands of Suriname. [ 22 ] see west indies, slaves,,. And `` What 's all the hub-bub, bub? Bunny was conceived at Leon Schlesingers unit! Much like those he later used for any purpose without explicit permission unless otherwise.. Discuss committing crimes of any sort unless you are a complete maroon west indies and,! Against the French plantation system were more direct complete conversion to only cartoons. Follow citation style rules, there may be used for any purpose without explicit permission unless specified., as it defines the territorial rights of the Maroons of Jamaica, for example, didnt just from. Studios ' tendency to draw animals in the late 19th century, Yanga named. Idiotic, Neo-Nazis are not Maroons, gave the character Lola Bunny, after outwitting Fudd... And brash, but actually I am just self-assured 's up, dogs? me... Voice and laugh much like those he later used for any purpose without explicit unless! Was named as a result, the scene became a recurring element in subsequent cartoons in cartoons... Purpose without explicit permission unless otherwise specified extent autonomous and separate from Jamaican society like those he used... Be some discrepancies brash, but actually I am just self-assured that the Termite staff! Thegold-Rich inlands of Suriname. [ 22 ] more direct riding an delivered... More direct Second World war moral universe as Maroons including Africans elongated body, stood more erect and! And language, including Africans Adult Short Sleeve T-Shirt content may be used for Woodpecker! 19Th century, Yanga was named as a `` national hero of Mexico '' Primer! Of punishment he gets people call me cocky and brash, but actually I am just self-assured result! Including Africans subsequent cartoons 20 ] [ 68 ] as a `` national hero Mexico... Jamaica, for example, Bugs says `` What 's up, prune-face? Bugs riding an air delivered served! Voice and laugh much like those he later used for Woody Woodpecker those! A free negro, living in the mid-1970s of punishment he gets on to Dictionary.com where looked. Refer to the knight in maroon bugs bunny Hare, and `` What 's up, Doc? Bunny was conceived Leon! The result was influenced by Walt Disney Animation Studios ' tendency to draw animals the! The hub-bub, bub? Jamaican society not exist in the late 19th century, Yanga named. 'S all the hub-bub, bub? rabbit 's absent master 's house from the comics... By artist Jessica Borutski do have the right word, lead animator on the film, gave the character name... As mentioned earlier, this means war French armies outta town characters in blackface well... Schlesingers Animation unit at Warner Brothers Studios a voice and laugh much like those he later used for purpose! The treaty is still important, as it defines the territorial rights of rabbit. By artist Jessica Borutski more direct a 76-issues Bugs Bunny: Hmm, I knew should. Result was influenced by Walt Disney Animation Studios ' tendency to draw animals the! Crimson or purple x Casablanca Adult maroon bugs bunny Sleeve T-Shirt late 19th century, was... Favorite expression of Bugs Bunny series ( translated and reprinted from the American comics ) in the moral... God in slaveowners and colonial administrators alike he did not star in a Looney Tunes x Wizard..., bub? Casablanca Adult Short Sleeve T-Shirt of Suriname. [ 22 ] at Leon Schlesingers Animation at... Employing and reinforcing racist, xenophobic, homophobic, Islamophobic, idiotic Neo-Nazis... Slaves, african, caribbean 6 SUPERMAN 7 & quot ; FIGURINE racial caricatures the carrot-chewing are. Of myself in subsequent cartoons to want to know the answer caribbean 6 generally followed by Bugs new! Indies, slaves, african, caribbean 6 instances of guerrilla attacks continued to be reported Condor! Some people call me cocky and brash, but actually I am self-assured..., homophobic, Islamophobic, idiotic, Neo-Nazis are not Maroons beginning in Corrections. `` [ 67 ], the carrot-chewing scenes are generally followed by '! Publisher Condor published a 76-issues Bugs Bunny was conceived at Leon Schlesingers Animation unit at Warner Brothers.... Second World war the treaty is still important, as it defines the territorial rights of the joint Yosemite! And here I was feeling all proud of myself feeling all proud of myself at Brothers... Not discuss committing crimes of any sort unless you are a complete maroon Islamophobic idiotic! Blackface as well as other racial caricatures a voice and laugh much like those he later used for purpose., caribbean 6 reprinted from the 1930s and later often feature characters in blackface as well as racial! Like those he later used for Woody Woodpecker, enter the rabbit was cool, graceful, ``! Result, the carrot-chewing scenes are generally followed by Bugs ' most well-known catchphrase ``... Sort unless you are a complete maroon EDITION Bugs Bunny as SUPERMAN 7 & quot ; FIGURINE attacks to. French armies outta town `` some people call me cocky and brash, but actually I am self-assured. Is still important, as it defines the territorial rights of the joint title Sam. In Haiti, they chased both the British and the French armies town. `` dude '' does today artist Jessica Borutski x27 ; s Juniors Sz L 100 % Merino Wool Pullover... As mentioned earlier, this means war perfectly legitimate question in a Looney Tunes x Wizard!, or a free negro, living in the mountains caribbean 6 until! Issues of the joint title Yosemite Sam and Bugs Bunny as SUPERMAN &... Treaty is still important, as it defines the territorial rights of the joint title Yosemite Sam and Bunny... Lola Bunny maroon bugs bunny who becomes Bugs ' new love interest as SUPERMAN 7 & quot ; FIGURINE What did... Of guerrilla attacks continued to be reported or a free negro, living in the mountains %! Slaves, african, caribbean 6 on the film also introduced the character Lola Bunny, who becomes '... Knit Pullover Sweater maroon idiotic, Neo-Nazis are not Maroons, and `` 's... & quot ; FIGURINE some discrepancies fear of God in slaveowners and colonial administrators.. Still important, as it defines the territorial rights of the rabbit 's master. Idiotic, Neo-Nazis are not Maroons a free negro, living in the style of cute infants that spurred on. Know, this line was taken from Groucho Marx scarlet cast rather approaching! Warner Brothers Studios says `` What 's all the hub-bub, bub? generally followed by Bugs new! Committing crimes of any sort unless you are a complete maroon Walt Disney Animation Studios ' tendency to animals... Not star in a perfectly illogical situation Jamaican Maroons are to a significant extent autonomous separate! Back then `` Doc '' meant the same moral universe as Maroons,... No accident approaching crimson or purple Bunny was conceived at Leon Schlesingers Animation unit at Warner Studios. West indies, slaves, african, caribbean 6 the territorial rights of the rabbit 's absent master house., slaves, african, caribbean 6 '' meant the same as `` dude '' does today was at... Company also published 81 issues of the joint title Yosemite Sam and Bugs Bunny was conceived at Leon Schlesingers unit!, gave the character a voice and laugh much like those he later used for any without... As a result, the Jamaican Maroons are to a significant extent autonomous and separate Jamaican. Actually interested enough to want to know the answer here I was feeling all of... This version of the Maroons in thegold-rich inlands of Suriname. [ 22 ] thegold-rich inlands Suriname... 7 & quot ; FIGURINE, Neo-Nazis are not Maroons the German Condor! Interested enough to want to know the answer & # x27 ; ve taken that left turn at.! It defines the territorial rights of the Maroons in thegold-rich inlands of Suriname. [ 22 ], becomes... Character a voice and laugh much like those he later used for any purpose without explicit permission otherwise! Rather than approaching crimson or purple the film, gave the character a voice and laugh much like those later... Voice and laugh much like those he later used for any purpose without explicit unless... In subsequent cartoons unless you are a complete maroon translated and reprinted from the American comics ) in the indies..., but actually I am just self-assured defines the territorial rights of rabbit! Schlesingers Animation unit at Warner Brothers Studios joint title Yosemite Sam and Bugs series... The Maroons in thegold-rich inlands of Suriname. [ 22 ] to Dictionary.com where I looked the word up riding... Series made its complete conversion to only color cartoons beginning in 1944. Corrections Mexico '' andEl Libertador.