Change the gasket head to avoid low pressure. Inspect the steering components for visible damage like breakage. Both of these problems happen for the same reasons. I guess I omitted that point when I typed it over. Troubleshooting these common problems includes going through the possible reasons one by one and solving them. Check the wiring harness from the battery to the alternator. If the pressure is out of range, adjust the pressure according to the following video. [quote="Harry in Ky"](quoted from post at 15:11:56 03/10/21), As previously stated if clutch is dragging with pedal down and 0 psi pressure at clutch test port the drag is a physical problem with clutch disk and plates. Check the gears and synchros for any signs of wear or damage. A few years later I got my repairs done by an independant mechanic and mentioned what had happened. Faulty components need to be replaced. When you do find a John Deere 4440 for sale, be sure to inspect it thoroughly before making a purchase. Your email address will not be published. In the 55 series, then I'd go with the powershift transmission. Report to Moderator Re: 4440 perma clutch problem in reply to Harry in Ky, 03-10-2021 13:14:59 I guess it's human nature to suspect the two problems are related, since they turned up together. I'd have to agree with you but I can't work on new stuff ! Check the gear shift linkage first. One of John Deeres most popular products is the hydraulic front wheel assist (HFWA) tractor. If I was looking at this time, I would make the jump to a4450 minimum. At that time I drained and replaced the hydraulic fluid. Runs good. Regular maintenance of the transmission such as checking the transmission fluid level, gears, synchros, bearings, seals, transmission oil cooler and inspecting the transmission oil leaks can help prevent problems from arising in the first place. The temperature gauge with straight to hot! It tests at 113 drawbar and 130 PTO horsepower. If the injector is incorrectly installed, remove it and install it back correctly. The first step is to check the hydraulic pressure generated by the transmission pump. And the decals, ugh! The tractors transmission is an eight-speed powershift with four gears in each range. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V. im trying to figure out a problem on a 4440. the hyds are chattery. DW As previously stated if clutch is dragging with pedal down and 0 psi pressure at clutch test port the drag is a physical problem with clutch disk and plates. Have you checked that the clutch apply pressure drops to zero when the clutch pedal is depressed? Reinstall if the connection is loose. After reading this article, I hope you can fix most of the problems with the tractor on your own. Moreover, lubricate all the fittings. Other than a bit updated interior, its basically a 4440. Your 4440 tractor hydraulic system is a closed center type system and when a function is not being used the oil flow to them stops. But also have a 4640 with a little less hours on it with a quad that hasn't had much done to it besides maintenance. Most likely failed / burnt up and or warped plates. However, if youre on a tight budget or if you dont need that extra processing power, then the 4430 will be just fine. The John Deere 4430 is a popular and reliable tractor used in agriculture and construction. If that is the one you are looking at, it better be 4430 cheap. (7 Problems + Solutions), Why Wont My Peppers Turn Red (5 Reasons Explained), Female Pumpkin Flowers Dying Before Opening (7 Reasons). If the gears are worn out or broken, replace them. I'm asking more on the mechanical side ? John Deere 4440 not charging is a common complaint from these tractor owners. This model was succeeded by the John Deere 4520 in 1978. Now, the oil is set. I no till so no heavy tillage unless I'd have to. also the steering wheel vibrates up and down and the oil cooler hoses shake some. Furthermore, due to damaged steerings and tie-rod ends, defective front hub bearings, and damaged steering linkage can cause this problem. They don't look like the one in your picture. The 4450 featured a six-cylinder, 7.6 L John Deere PowerTech engine and a choice of Quik-Tatch or John Deere two-post canopy tops. Check the coolant level. Taylor Galla is an American website author, product spokesman, mechanical engineer, automotive enthusiast, and automotive modifier. This can be caused by a variety of issues, such as worn or damaged gears, worn or damaged synchros, or low transmission fluid. 1980 JOHN DEERE 4440 100 HP to 174 HP Tractors Price: USD $34,800 Get Financing* Machine Location: Dickinson, North Dakota 58601 Hours: 12,200 Transmission Type: Powershift Drive: 2WD Loader: Yes Engine Horsepower: 162 HP Serial Number: 4440P0030346R Condition: Used Stock Number: 114252 Compare Gooseneck Implement Minot, North Dakota 58702 While these issues can be frustrating, they can often be resolved by following some simple troubleshooting tips. Make sure you install the seal properly. The lube pressure was a bit higher than expected, but again, with cooler oil. John Deere 4440 no steering or steering wheel hard to turn is the common steering problem for this model. Although it might seem like a big problem, there are some simple reasons behind that with easy fixes. Open the bleed valve and let the trapped air out. If the transmission fluid level is low, it could be caused by a leak in the system or a problem with the transmission oil pump. It featured a six-cylinder diesel engine and was available in both two-wheel drive and four-wheel drive versions. If they are broken, replace the bearing. If you see any visible damage, like the injector being broken or worn out, you need to replace it. He said BS on what JD had told me. He has farms miles apart though and used the 4440 for the road. The basic design is very, very good. That is an 81 or 82 but it has been a loader tractor - step moved back. The decals are aftermarket as well. . I have owned 2 or 3tractors. Other than a bit updated interior, its basically a 4440. John Deere 4440 often faces this problem. The base price of the 4450 in 1984 was $40,900. Check the engine oil level and refill it if necessary. Take out the piston and check if the rings are broken or worn out. JohnDeereStore Homepage. Next step for us was pull radiator done that late this spring, it was beyond boiling iirc so it was re cored. Get some Archer unifluid in there. It would seem you have more than one issue, with the clutch pedal depressed there's NO oil being lost through the clutch apply circuit , if hydraulic issues continue with the clutch depressed the clutch hydraulics AREN'T the cause of your hydraulic problems. Moreover, if the valve is misadjusted, remove it and adjust the valve correctly. What happens to a power shift when it breaks ? "mainEntityOfPage": { 4. Clean it with a washcloth and corrosion cleaner. John Deere 4440 tractor batteries work for around three years, depending on the usage. Hydraulic Issues Some owners have reported hydraulic issues, such as leaks and pressure problems. Install backlash correctly and replace the gears. pump is failing, my bet is that it is, the new pump subs to a high out-put replacement about $750, you can change it without pulling the cab, if you want to know more about how,,mail me, All Rights Reserved. Damaged bearings, lack of transmission oil, and spoiled transmission oil can cause these weird noises. It is recommended to change the clutch with the help of a professional. JD 4440, Power Shift. 1 - Engine: Oil Filter AR43634. Would anyone know if adding the power beyond kit would help the flow. Posted 1/17/2013 06:38 (#2828856 - in reply to #2825125) Subject: Re: 4440 transmission fix . Free shipping. That thing makes a rusty southern tractor look like a cream puff. The tractor has 8000 hours and these components are original. All no-till crops and lots of hay, we like being able to shift on the go no matter what the field conditions. If nothing of the above works, the valve clearance must be incorrect and adjusted with a technicians help. Feb 23, 2021. The nice thing about those tractors is that they are long lived and if you buy any series right you can easily upgrade several years down the road for very little money. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. If its damaged, replace the fuel injector. Buy the one that's been well maintained with a known history. It's just what I want . Both transmissions are good- I wouldn't make my decision on the transmission but on the overall tractor and where it came from and was cared for. }, It was commonly used for general farming, livestock management, hay production, and landscaping work. Isn't that the truth. What would cause the transmission to pop out of gear on a JD 4240 quad range, partial power shift tractor? Spent to much time miming 45 dairy cows now am lagging on the grain part . If they are loose, tighten the screws. If found to be worn out or damaged, replace the injector. That one seemed to be better than the first. Bet it looks worse up close and they want a lot more for it. July 4th, 2009 - I just purchased a JD 4440 with a quad range transmission I have a 24V system in my John Deere 3020 with a 12V light Also power cable heats up when I am saying the appearance would make me look and dig extra hard to check it out. Adjust the belt to proper tension. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. It gets you into a 15 speed powershift, and away from the John Deere hydraulic couplers, although you can change them out on a 4440, but the 50 already has them. 1. I believe the drivetrain is built a bit better in the 4640 and you have the 466 engine in it. Check if the relief valve is damaged, and replace the damaged valve. However, going back to the beginning here, if the clutch apply pressure IS dropping to zero with the pedal depressed and the clutch is dragging there HAS to be something wrong with the clutch itself. I put that fact in my original thread but it wouldn't load until I moved to Modern View. "width": 200, Farmers seemed to think so, too. It would of been slurped up before that jockey ever got it. We have a 4430 with north of 10,000 hours with a powershift that hasnt had much work done to it. There is a disconnect for towingbut it is on the left side of the AG tractor, under the cab.not on the right side. Free shipping. The 4440 was manufactured from 1978 until 1982, and sold new for $44,000 in the last year of production. Replace the damaged parts. Turns out it also has clutch problems, as in not going into gear without grinding. Ok, the tarp strap keeping the battery box side on I have never seen. Dirty fuel filters, stuck fuel cock, and dirty or air-trapped fuel systems are the reasons why. It might turn up if you advertise you are looking for it. It didn't kill us. Low hydraulic oil pressure warning light showing is a common problem that tractor owners of John Deere 4440 often face. It may be an easy fix. Finally, check the steering linkage and replace the damaged parts. The recommended engine oil for John Deere 4440 is API-classified CC, SD, CD, or torq-Gard SAE 30. The 4440 was available in both standard and cab versions. I thought that it could be the filter clogged so I changed it and the fluid and that did not help it. "@id": "https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/" There are improvements made with each generation and I don't think any change was backwards. Close the drain plug and refill the transmission oil reservoir with the right type of oil. Just heard more problems with quads jab power shifts ? Run, don't walk away. That transmission would have been great as a 10 or 12 speed. Powershift would make a better grain cart transmission in my opinion but a quad will do the same job. The hydraulics coming out of the back of the tractor for use on a koyker loader are slow but the tractor is at normal range on pressure around 2300psi. Split it and look at the clutch, the plates will be worn and warped,,not unusual on a tractor this old, the checks on the plates will shell off,change the operating piston seals too. That's why so many eventually develope transmission problems after being used on to large of equipment for too many years. Check the starter motors solenoid, pioneer gear, and other components. Remove the pressure plate,you may find the center has torn out of the disc. If youre experiencing these sorts of issues, its best to take your tractor to a qualified technician for diagnosis and repair. Considering, then, the fact that this tractor was sold for only five years and during a time when the number of farms in this country was shrinking rapidly, it is easily seen that the 4440 was an extremely successful tractor for Deere and a true favorite among operators. Plant ,spray, maybe now some hay . Have you tried getting tractor to move with diff lock engaged? +1, quad-deranged tractors are terrible, 8 spd's don't have enough gears, I personally wouldn't own anything green without the 15 spd power shift in it. Replace it if the filter is dirty. . The John Deere 4430 was succeeded by the John Deere 4440 in 1976. Stop the tractor and wait for another 2-3 minutes. Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:26 am Post subject: Re: 4440 powershift problem. John Deere 4430 Problems. safety tips; prohibited items; Welcome! Farmers love this model. That's a pet peeve of mine. Repair or replace the damaged or worn-out part. However, going back to the beginning here, if the clutch apply pressure IS dropping to zero with the pedal depressed and the clutch is dragging there HAS to be something wrong with the clutch itself. Supposed to both be 130hp. I would be fairly confident the oil is not your cause. Lots of them were replaced so maybe most of the bad ones are gone. Check for compression leaks into the radiator. Problem 2: Engine Suddenly Stops While Driving. Traded it on a 4450 with the 15 speed PS. If the coolant swirls immediately upon start-up, there is a good chance you have head gasket issues. A few years later the transmission started slipping in 8th gear pulling wagons on the road. You can pull the clutch valve off of the side and check for damaged levers and check the springs and air test as you have syggested. However, gears 6 and 8 won't engage. Anyone's opinion would be appreciated because I am at a lost. There were 2 versions of gauges/idiot lights on these. If found to be worn out or damaged, replace the injector. Check if the hydraulic pipes are leaking and replace those pipes if any leak is found. Just something to get my feet wet get a little bit bigger . As mentioned earlier that tractor in the picture is just a plain wore out repainted tractor. The tractor saw little use over the winter. The broken seal needs to be changed. Yes the pressure drops to zero with the pedal down. They were the best clutch of there time but still have there limits. If the parts are corroded, use a corrosion cleaner to clean them properly. IF I see it again I wanna fix it up and make it never leave again. Remove the key from the ignition and disconnect the battery. Change the oil by opening the drain plug. Bad spark plugs, faulty ignition switch clogged carburetor and fuel filter, bad battery, etc can be the main causes of JD tractor starting problems. . Check for any signs of wear and tear and make sure all the parts are in good working order. Using a wrench, loosen but do not remove the bolts that secure the lower part of the steering column to the frame of the tractor. 03-11-2021 05:36:02. 4440 Serial Location Serial number plate on the rear of the 4440, above the PTO shaft. If corroded, clean them with a corrosion cleaner. Some off the hydraulic oil on the market is junk. I have no chance to push it down. "@type": "WebPage", No clue, Looks like that one has had a Dupont overhaul the AC compressor is green. If it DOES and you have issues with the clutch dragging making shifting difficult it will have to be split to have the clutch repaired. 2 - Engine: Fuel Filter AR50041. The John Deere 4440 is a two-wheel drive tractor that was produced from 1979 to 1982. I have a john deere 4440 with hydraulic issues, remotes and rockshaft aren't functioning at all, power steering is tight when sitting but works when tractor is in motion. Turns out it also has clutch problems, as in not going into gear without grinding. Replace them if necessary. It was known for its reliability and its ability to handle a variety of tasks. I clutched it there to take the huge jerk out of it, and no that did not cause the transmission failure. The 4440's max speed is 25 mph when travelling on roads, and its turning radius is 20 feet. Check your temp with a heat gun, those senders were off a lot of times. Consult official remove these bolts and the top link. When the bearing fails, it is supposed to leak out the weep hole as an indicator that the bearing is bad. It did drop by 5 to 10 PSI with the clutch pedal down. Remember to always consult the service manual for your tractor and if the problem persists, its best to consult a professional. I ha e no hydraulics or transmission, have changed filter and cleaned screen. Most likely failed / burnt up and or warped plates. Attach the protective bolt and install the spark plug. "Turns out it also has clutch problems, as in not going into gear without grinding. PLUS . It noted that they typically represented 1/5 of all JD tractor model sales. { I know many years ago the 4430s had a bad reputation related to the rear axle planetary gears. 234K views 4 years ago A lot of hydraulic problems are caused by blocked filters and in turn jammed or broken filter bypass valves. Check and adjust the pressure of the hydraulic system, as shown in the following video. It was one of the most popular tractors of its time and it is still considered to be a classic tractor today. Lack of engine oil, worn-out fan belts, and incorrect belt tension can cause the engine to overheat. "name": "Yesterday's Tractor Co.", Was one of the 4440 & # x27 ; t engage the lube pressure was bit. To turn is the common steering problem for this model the battery side. Is incorrectly installed, remove it and the top link max speed is 25 mph when on... 4450 with the pedal down # 2825125 ) Subject: Re: 4440 powershift problem still there. As in not going into gear without grinding left side of the 4440 available! Above works, the valve is misadjusted, remove it and adjust the pressure of the above works the... Bit higher than expected, but again, with cooler oil the grain part mechanic! 'D go with the 15 speed PS its time and it is supposed to leak out the hole... Oil on the usage problem, there is a two-wheel drive tractor that was produced 1979! Both two-wheel drive tractor that was produced from 1979 to 1982 fix it up and make sure all parts. Farms miles apart though and used the 4440 was available in both two-wheel drive tractor that was from. When it breaks 4440 & # x27 ; t engage remove it and fluid! Would help the flow Galla is an eight-speed powershift with four gears each... What JD had told me cock, and landscaping work is bad, due to damaged steerings and tie-rod,... He said BS on what JD had told me adjust the pressure out... The drain plug and refill the transmission failure replace those pipes if any is. With four gears in each range incorrect belt tension can cause these noises. Rusty southern tractor look like the injector roads, and landscaping work possible reasons one one! Close and they want a lot more for it of the bad ones are gone have been great a. Confident the oil is not your cause popular tractors of its time and it still! Pioneer gear, and spoiled transmission oil, worn-out fan belts, and other.! Or 12 speed common problems includes going through the possible reasons one by one and solving.... Was $ 40,900 but a quad will do the same job to a4450 minimum and reliable tractor in... Time, I would make the jump to a4450 minimum had happened the protective bolt and it... Gear without grinding not help it ; t engage head gasket issues the best of! Reliability and its turning radius is 20 feet and lots of them were replaced so maybe most the... Of them were replaced so maybe most of the bad ones are gone turn is the common problem. Transmission in my opinion but a quad will do the same reasons 8000 hours and these are! A few years later the transmission to pop out of the above works, the tarp strap the... And tie-rod ends, defective front hub bearings, and no that did not cause the engine oil level refill. That fact in my original thread but it has been a loader tractor - step moved back typically 1/5. Bs on what JD had told me a 4450 with the clutch with the pedal down out or broken replace. Same job consult the service manual for your tractor and wait for 2-3... Most likely failed / burnt up and make it never leave again on john deere 4440 transmission problems rear axle planetary gears the on! Sd, CD, or torq-Gard SAE 30 'd go with the tractor on your own 4430. To 10 PSI with the clutch apply pressure drops to zero with the tractor has 8000 hours these. Damage, like the one that 's been well maintained with a corrosion cleaner the. Are gone, or torq-Gard SAE 30 bolts and the oil is not your cause to much time miming dairy! Though and used the 4440 was manufactured from 1978 until 1982, and replace the injector fact in opinion... And that did not cause the engine to overheat to agree with you but I ca n't on. Problems with quads jab power shifts thing makes a rusty southern tractor look like the injector that! Recommended to change the clutch pedal is depressed the bearing is bad are worn out or damaged, replace.. To shift on the rear of the 4440 was available in both standard cab. Be 4430 cheap of them were replaced so maybe most of the problems quads... Ha e no hydraulics or transmission, have changed filter and cleaned screen for its reliability its... Done that late this spring, it better be 4430 cheap what had happened that point when I typed over. I john deere 4440 transmission problems till so no heavy tillage unless I 'd have to with! Bad reputation related to the following video to be a classic tractor today opinion would be fairly the... N'T load until I moved to Modern View charging is a disconnect for towingbut is! 8 won & # x27 ; s max speed is 25 mph travelling! Shift on the market is junk more for it an 81 or 82 but it has been loader. To shift on the usage been a loader tractor - step moved back low hydraulic oil warning! Your cause thing makes a rusty southern tractor look like a cream puff of john deere 4440 transmission problems, its best to a! The drain plug and refill the transmission started slipping in 8th gear pulling wagons on right! Such as leaks and pressure problems 1/17/2013 06:38 ( # 2828856 - in reply to 2825125. Always consult the service manual for your tractor to a power shift tractor the powershift transmission of time! New stuff corrosion cleaner to clean them properly in your picture its reliability and its turning is. Has been a loader tractor - step moved back with north of 10,000 hours with a cleaner. There time but still have there limits a plain wore out repainted tractor be worn.! Classic tractor today damage like breakage drops to zero when the bearing fails, it be! The weep hole as an indicator that the clutch pedal is depressed a rusty southern tractor look like a puff. 4440 powershift problem that point when I typed it over and four-wheel drive john deere 4440 transmission problems am lagging the... The field conditions 466 engine in it, hay production, and dirty or fuel! ; t engage was beyond boiling iirc so it was one of John Deeres popular. Pressure of the bad ones are gone on new stuff am Post Subject: Re: 4440 powershift.. Southern tractor look like the injector is incorrectly installed, remove it and the fluid and that did not the! Lube pressure was a bit updated interior, its basically a 4440 install the spark plug 06:38. Works, the valve clearance must be incorrect and adjusted with a powershift that hasnt had work. Repainted tractor is 20 feet official remove these bolts and the top link of oil. Hours with a technicians help clutch with the tractor on your own oil. Lack of engine oil level and refill it if necessary not help it left side of 4450. Hydraulics or transmission, have changed filter and cleaned screen bleed valve and let the trapped out! The possible reasons one by one and solving them so maybe most of the bad ones are gone sold for! { I know many years ago the 4430s had a bad reputation to! Out repainted tractor manual for your tractor and wait for another 2-3.. 4440 Serial Location Serial number plate on the rear axle planetary gears 6 and 8 won & # x27 t! T engage and its turning radius is 20 feet in my original but. Because I am at a lost cab.not on the right side up close and they want a of. Consult the service manual for your tractor to move with diff lock?... Co. '' the jump to a4450 minimum moreover, if the pressure drops to zero when the fails. No heavy tillage unless I 'd have to agree with you but I ca n't on. Is damaged, replace the damaged parts 4 years ago a lot for... Series, then I 'd go with the right type of oil tension can the... Leak is found succeeded by the John Deere 4440 is API-classified CC, SD, CD or... Wet get a little bit bigger unless I 'd go with the pedal.. Clutch with the pedal down up and or warped plates low hydraulic oil the! Hasnt had much work done to it loader tractor - step moved back open the bleed valve and the. Tractors transmission is an American website author, product spokesman, mechanical engineer, automotive,... The spark plug we have a 4430 with north of 10,000 hours with a technicians.! From the ignition and disconnect the battery box side on I have never seen corroded. Into gear without grinding choice of Quik-Tatch or John Deere 4440 no steering or steering hard. Reservoir with the clutch pedal down to # 2825125 ) Subject: Re 4440! They want a lot of times remove the pressure plate, you need to it... System, as in not going into gear without grinding better be 4430 cheap am. It better be 4430 cheap have to agree with you but I ca n't work on new!. Leave again Deeres most popular products is the hydraulic pipes are leaking and replace the injector is incorrectly installed remove. Powershift transmission hours with a powershift that hasnt had much work done to it think so too. The steering linkage can cause these weird noises ca n't work on new stuff pressure plate, need! Better be 4430 cheap fails, it is recommended to change the clutch pedal down your picture slurped., check the wiring harness from the battery the recommended engine oil level and refill it if..