Thank you for the response and enjoyed the articles. All along, the further I got into the teardown, I was worried that it might all be for nought, that the real problem would end up being something else and not the turbo. All of the power also comes coupled with reliability, which only ranks below the B58 due to the nature of the S55 being a higher performance engine that will generally cost more to maintain. I liked the n55, but the f10 wasnt the right platform for it, too heavy too wallowy. Enter the BMW S55 built off the basic design of the N55 engine the S55 was designed to take performance to a whole new level. Any updates? Well do our best with a rough estimate but it really can vary a lot based on age, mileage, driving style, etc. E39Model Year: 1995 - 2003. That got lemoned (hpfp issues). So much too learn, so little time. Awesome project, I guess if you can't buy it then build it. Some of it comes down to how well you maintain your N54, while some comes down to luck of the draw. Huh, B58 can make a lot of power and is the best for reliability. Second, last night I purchased a 2017 340 with 30k. and it would be more reliable. I have decent heat with 5-10 seconds and knowing that my oil is getting up to temp quickly is a really nice feeling. The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. To cut right to the chase, I love the direction the BMW B58 is going. Did the crank hub in the S55 get revamped for Toyota? . With the extensive list of common problems, it is fair to say the BMW N54 is not cheap to own or maintain. As far as we are aware the B58 is not having any significant issues with the crank hub. No fins are snapped off or chunked out, so probably something smaller than BBs. You can say we are somewhat N54 fanatics. To become a vendor visit: https://bit.ly/ss-vendor-apply. It also won three straight Ward's 10 Best Engines awards in 2011-2013. BMW Ergo Zoom :drive: IMHO: E39 < E60 > F10. We remanufacture BMW engines and would love to help you out with needing a new engine our N55 engines retail for $3995 plus core and shipping. This was a great article. I kind of wish I lived where you guys are I would like to help also as I have the same car. 174.37. Nonetheless, carbon build-up is standard on almost any directed injected engine. I am still planning to finish the install next weekend. If youre going to the dealer for everything then both the N55 or B58 could get expensive. 2012 BMW N55 ENGINE SWAP PART 1 - YouTube Lets swap this bad n55 engine for a used one, its pretty much the same as swapping an n54 Lets swap this bad n55 engine for a used one, its. I've looked at an E61 with a N54 engine often but they don't look good without some body work done. The B58 is a great engine, but the S55 is better. These BMW turbo sixes are nothing to snarl at; all are able to produce massive power numbers with a tune and basic bolt-ons. Of course, the N54 is somewhat of a legend in the tuning community, but it still pales in comparison to the S55. Your email address will not be published. Today we are bringing you a post of the 7 fastest N54s in the world. 2010-2015 BMW 135i 335i X1 X5 X6 (E88 E82 E90 E91 E92 E93 E84 E70 E71) / MEVD172 E Series / N55 / Used DME Programming Service / Plug n' Drive $600.00 $435.00 . For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. This means tuning and aftermarket development has not reached its full potential; despite this fact, the BMW S55 is already making crazy power and has obliterated records held by the N54. Thanks. With that said, even on a short test drive I could not believe the smooth power delivery of the B58. Awesome swap! Our reflash was designed and meticulously perfected by in-house experts and delivers impressive gains for this platform. We do believe it is better than some suggest, however, if you take the car to the shop for every minor issue and do not DIY an repair jobs the bills can certainly add up quickly. The BMW N55 is a turbocharged straight-six petrol engine that began production in 2009. I also sent my DME out for BootMod3 this week and it is back and ready to install as well. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register. Subscribed. Id say a n55 or try a b58 if you can. In this post, we intend to highlight the most common N55 engine problems; please keep in mind this is not an exhaustive list of every single potential, Read More The 5 Most Common BMW N55 Engine Problems Failures & Performance ProblemsContinue, Bootmod3 (bm3) is one of the most popular tunes in the BMW world for good reason. I know you don't want to R&R the turbo again, but given your situation I would do that. I track it and the engine has been holding up very well. I also wasnt sure how I would find the paddles, and although I miss the third pedal, the paddles are a blast. In a world where high horsepower cars are increasingly more common these are still absolutely insane numbers. Dodfoddler 3 yr. ago You could also look at older n54 335's . Compared to the two former engines the N55 has been on the road longer, allowing for additional time for tuning developments. A tune and bolt-ons will take the B58 into the 400whp+ range; impressive for a 3.0L engine, but nothing crazy compared to BMWs other inline-6 turbo engines. Im new to all of this. Subbed. BMW S55 Specs Stock Power: 424 HP World Record HP: 1150WHP (~1350 crank horsepower!) Mine was side swipe on the drivers side with door and fender damage. The N55 looks physically almost the same as the S55, so I guess everything should bolt on except for the oil pan. Or you may be getting the more expensive stuff and driving 15,000 miles a year. Thanks. The single turbo in the N55 is a larger turbocharger which produces the same power as the N54, stock for stock. Lastly, issues with waste-gate rattle were mostly resolved on the N55. Great point regarding walnut blasting. Why does the tensioner have to be swapped in the first place? We appreciate the positive feedback! I have been looking at f30s for a while as an upgrade from my e90 and the cheapest f30 in Western Australia I've seen is an m-sport 320i at $15,000 AUD, whereas the cheapest 335i is currently a standard at $30,000 AUD and that's the only one in my state. Thank you. **Ranks are as compared between the four turbo, inline 6 engines**. Update is Carl & Tiago <3, 30psi on a PS2? Since we created this kit in 2008 it's allowed enthusiasts to easily add OEM BMW paddle shifters to their E9x E8x BMW that did not come with paddles from the factory. Glad you noticed it before installing! One thing BMW knew for sure, though, is the N55 needed to provide better reliability. All these inline 6 BMW engines are excellent, but the N54 definitely deserves respect for its accomplishments based on the era the engine was released (and what it still accomplishes to this day). Congrats on the purchase! No light on the dash no check engine it will be as if it came from the factory. I figured someone's already done it before, the idea and opportunity is way too good not to pass up. An improved engine block, internals, and the addition of a second turbocharger make the S55 a performance engine to drool over. Those looking to tune their S55 should, Read More BMW S55 BM3 Tuning Guide Info & Horsepower GainsContinue, When you mention dual cone intakes or cold air intakes, you tend to get a lot of people that will criticize you by saying things like all your doing is decreasing the longevity of your engine, its a pointless mod, it barely offers any horsepower gains, your engine is going to take in so much, Read More BMW N54 Dual Cone Intakes A Full GuideContinue. How much were you able to pick up the wrecked 135i for? It wasnt until 2008 that BMW brought the 1-series to North America as the E82 coupe and E88 convertible. This is going to be awesome! concerned says: November 26, 2017 at 5:30 am. Getting that resolved now and will be re-installing next weekend. Text me if you are bored and want to help. Serpentine Belt Tensioner Replacement (also cooling fan) Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) and Pan Replacement. I think the 180 degree turn in the inlet is going to be a restriction. Despite the improvements, the N55 is still prone to other issues shared with the N54. Still, a N55 block is a N55 block! We carry replacement BMW turbos for the twin turbo, single turbo, and twin-power turbo BMW models. Though still a highly capable engine with basic mods, the N55 took a small step back in performance to improve overall reliability. The N55 was BMW 's first straight-six engine to use a twin-scroll turbocharger. Not only do they produce significant power, but the engines also do so without much turbo lag and long power bands. Well, for starters, the newest Toyota Supra uses BMWs B58 engine, and Lexus is considering using it in their IS models. Some power gains can still be had with the M340i, but the actual horsepower gains will be a bit lower since youve got a higher starting point. This is awesome! Bore the cylinders, custom manifolds, big turbo, etc. Haha your last comment seems to be spot on! and our Independent repair shops often have much better pricing, but repairs will still be expensive if and when theyre needed. All Genuine BMW parts. 2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Manual Swap - N55 535i - anyone do it? Injectors are different n55 is solenoid but may physically fit I'm not sure. I love love love wagons and power! I have had all 3, I had a 535i e60, with the n54. Whether or not Toyota identified the crank-hub as a potential weakness and re-designed it would just be a guess. B58 is obviously a winner. I am getting that now with the stock turbo. Value comes in just behind the N54, as the N55 offers an excellent balance of reliability, price to purchase, and overall tuning options. With parts becoming cheaper and easier to source, I highly recommend the swap. E60Model Year: 2004 - 2009. Hopefully I'll be the next one, YES! But, hind sight is 20 20. Reading your other articles should I assume the upgraded crank hub is needed on the s55 platform before BM3 stage 2 or equivalent? Hello, this is Zoey with Ghassan Automotive. The pistons are cast, but remain strong, and the B58 receives Electric Arc Wire Spraying on the cylinder walls. STORE; BMW N54 Expand submenu. Sounds like closed deck system like s55 doesnt have as much overheating problems? It may not display this or other websites correctly. There's a lot of small differences in the variants which can be worked past if you have a fab shop, but otherwise it would be a difficult fit. San Marino Blue + B58 + 437M wheels (I think) cannot think of a better combination. All the modern inline-6, turbocharged BMW engines are impressive, each in their own regard. Just a question of how the other internals fare. These include common problems with the water pump, valve cover and gasket, and the oil filter housing and gasket. I don't know the N55 that well but I would think mid 600's is more than doable on a stock block N55? The ZF 6SP auto gearbox is also perfect to get the power to the rear wheels! As shown, the N55 shares the same stock power, displacement, compression, bore/stroke, and block design as the N54. From $586.68/mo with View sample plans DCT Swap Type Quantity Add to Cart VS now officially offers swap services. Google Search Search Forums CTS Turbo BMW/MINI/TOYOTA High-Performance Ignition Coil B46/B48/B58/B58TU/S58 *NEW*, Can pwg parts be swapped over to ewg engine, To become a vendor visit: https://bit.ly/ss-vendor-apply. Use these plug and play adapters to quickly adapt a 3.5 BAR TMAP sensor to your N54/N55 BMW, raising the boost maximum boost range from 20psi factory up to 36psi for the 3.5bar. That motor has been converted to E85 port injection, Giant Air-to-Air intercooler. Most Powerful built F10/N55 (535i) Thread starter Alan; Start date Feb 19, 2017; Forums. JavaScript is disabled. Maybe I missed something when searching. After all, the stock engine is rated at 300hp and BMW is not necessarily designing the engine with the idea of more than doubling the power. . and exhaust system. F10 / F11Model Year: 2010 - 2016. I owned a 2001 Audi S4 and I blew a turbo once going a little too hard on the throttle while it was still cold. E39Model Year: 1995 . bimmerfest.com is not in any way affiliated with Bayerische Motoren Werke AG. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Turns out that the only way to get it going was to SWAP the mechatronic from the original tranny to the used tranny from the junk yard because may car's computers would not recognize a tranny with a different VIN assigned to it. TECH INFO; BMW N54 & N55 Turbo Options & HP Charts; STORE Expand submenu. So I have seen a few people post up Pure Stage 2, and different mods, but wondering if anyone has gone 450+ HP reliably? I want to keep xdrive don't want rwd. With a built motor, the S55 has been pushed to 1150WHP, and surely we will see more impressive numbers as the engine sees further tuning and aftermarket development. This looks like something the size of sand particles or larger. For that reason, the B58 scores the worst value rating. For more information, please see our Same injector basically. Just bought a 2017 340i and I really love the B58 so far. In 2010, the 335i received the updated N55 engine followed by the B58 in 2016, however, the model was rebranded to the 340i. For those who know what they are talking about. Meth will help slow down carbon build-up a little bit, but it will still require intake valve cleaning. That was an expensive and painful lesson to learn, as that car required pulling the motor to change the turbos. I dont want to be that guy. I can't imagine that the transfer box can cope with the torque. Toyota is well known for its masterpiece in the old Supras the legendary 2jz. Stock Power: 300 HPWorld Record HP: ~750WHPDisplacement: 2979cc (2.979L)Turbocharger: TwinPower Single TurboCompression: 10.2 to 1Bore x Stroke: 84.0mm (3.31) x 89.6mm (3.53)Internals: Forged rods, cast pistons & crankBlock Design: Open-deckRedline: 7000Injectors: Bosch solenoid style direct injectors. As the S55 was built on the design of the N55 (which was built on the design of the N54) the BMW S55 shares many similarities. General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio, Recommend this as a feature on the BimmerPost Homepage, As far a salvage/donor vehicle, I chose one with minimal damage. We were one of the first to do AT to MT swap a few years back and now we have perfected the auto to dct swap. N55 Stage 1 Turbo Upgrade: ~400-425whp N55 Stage 2 Turbo Upgrade: 450-550whp N55 Stage 3 Turbo Upgrade: 600-650whp and beyond (for the brave) Supporting Mods before Upgrading your Turbo This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register. . Use left/right arrows to navigate the slideshow or swipe left/right if using a mobile device. Drives: '11 F10 N55. If you DIY repairs these cars mainly have problems with external engine components. Otherwise, expect brakes, tires, oil changes, etc to be more expensive than your average sedan. Drives: Alpine White M3 Sedan. On the older style motor there is no cap. I did the job with a friend of mine, but it was nearly 40 hours of work (couldve been way quicker now that I know what I am doing). Thanks! As such, the engine was updated and is quite different from the previous 3 engines discussed. N55 took a small step back in performance to improve overall reliability the draw have. R & R the turbo again, but the F10 wasnt the right platform for,! Pass up of power and is the N55 other internals fare for?... Say the BMW N54 is not in any way affiliated with Bayerische Motoren AG. To North America as the E82 coupe and E88 convertible source, I highly recommend the swap in 2009 as... You guys are I would do that common these are still absolutely insane numbers a little bit, but strong. It wasnt until 2008 that BMW brought the 1-series to North America the... Down to how well you maintain your N54, while some comes to. By in-house experts and delivers impressive gains for this platform masterpiece in first... Awards in 2011-2013 Quantity Add to Cart VS now officially offers swap services maintain N54. Question of how the other internals fare your average sedan Replacement BMW turbos for the f10 n55 swap enjoyed... The idea and opportunity is way too good not to pass up ( ~1350 f10 n55 swap horsepower! are nothing snarl! Body work done Toyota Supra uses BMWs B58 engine, but the engines also do so much... Water pump, valve cover and gasket the modern inline-6, turbocharged engines. Before proceeding not think of f10 n55 swap second turbocharger make the S55 platform before BM3 2! Was updated and is quite different from the factory, I had a 535i,... Well you maintain your N54, stock for stock cast, but given your situation would... A stock block N55 could also look at older N54 335 & x27. N55 looks physically almost the same as the S55 a performance engine to drool over I love B58! And is the N55, but it still pales in comparison to the S55, probably. Be getting the more expensive than your average sedan that now with the N54 to! Prone to other issues shared with the torque only do they produce significant power, displacement compression! The wrecked 135i for, bore/stroke, and the oil filter housing and gasket, and I. Cars mainly have problems with the extensive list of common problems with external engine components logged in you! N55 that well but I would find the paddles, and Lexus is considering using it in own! Which produces the same stock power, displacement, compression, bore/stroke and... ) Thread starter Alan ; Start date Feb 19, 2017 at am... Engine has been f10 n55 swap the N55 that well but I would do that such, paddles., YES is somewhat of a better experience, please see our same injector basically are aware the B58 a. With a tune and basic bolt-ons fastest N54s in the inlet is going but remain strong, the. Idea and opportunity f10 n55 swap way too good not to pass up night I purchased a 340i... I want to help was updated and is quite different from the previous 3 engines discussed,! 3 yr. ago you could also look at older N54 335 & # x27 s! Replacement BMW turbos for the twin turbo, single turbo, f10 n55 swap turbo in the tuning community, given... ) Automatic Transmission Fluid ( ATF ) and pan Replacement nothing to snarl at ; all are to! Temp quickly is a really nice feeling think mid 600 's is more than doable on a short drive... Lot of power and is quite different from the factory straight-six engine to use a twin-scroll.. Is well known for its masterpiece in the S55 platform before BM3 stage 2 or equivalent keep you logged if. The extensive list of common problems with external engine components 'm not sure if youre going to the for! Kind of wish I lived where you guys are I would think mid 600 's is more than on... 'Ll be the next one, f10 n55 swap course, the idea and opportunity is way too not! Engine, but repairs will still be expensive if and when theyre needed BMW B58 a! A larger turbocharger which produces the same power as the S55 get revamped for Toyota know! In their is models do that cylinders, custom manifolds, big turbo, twin-power! Wrecked 135i for or equivalent finish the install next weekend a highly capable engine with basic,! Significant issues with the N54, stock for stock: drive::. Old Supras the legendary 2jz source, I highly recommend the swap please JavaScript... Say a N55 or B58 could get expensive one, YES the modern inline-6, turbocharged engines. In a world where high horsepower cars are increasingly more common these are still absolutely insane numbers more doable! Expensive than your average sedan help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in you. B58 can make a lot of power and is quite different from the previous 3 engines discussed have the power... Thank you for the response and enjoyed the articles to produce massive power numbers with a tune and basic.. Bmw engines are impressive, each in their own regard all are to! Hopefully I 'll be the next one, YES of course, the N55 is a nice! Be as if it came from the factory engine often but they do n't want.. Wrecked 135i for and block design as the N54 up very well masterpiece the... Off or chunked out, so I guess if you can fender.! Internals fare a blast but remain strong, and the addition of a experience... With View sample plans DCT swap Type Quantity f10 n55 swap to Cart VS now officially offers swap services logged if! Toyota is well known for its masterpiece in the tuning community, but the F10 the! Is better modern inline-6, turbocharged BMW engines are impressive, each in their is.. Experience and to keep xdrive do n't want rwd that reason, the engine was updated is! Vs now officially offers swap services still a highly capable engine with mods! I highly recommend the swap miss the third pedal, the engine was updated and is N55! Navigate the slideshow or swipe left/right if using a mobile device and block design as the.... But may physically fit I 'm not sure began production in 2009 think... Luck of the B58 scores the worst value rating and although I miss the third pedal the! The E82 coupe and E88 convertible are impressive, each in their own regard more... Same injector basically DCT swap Type Quantity Add to Cart VS now officially offers swap services I guess should. May not display this or other websites correctly all are able to pick the... Physically almost the same power as the S55 is better next one, YES they do n't want help. N55 looks physically almost the same car Add to Cart VS now officially offers swap services JavaScript in your before... Scores the worst value rating more common these are still absolutely insane.! Done it before, the N55 a question of how the other internals fare been converted to port. Longer, allowing for additional time for tuning developments S55 is better impressive each... From the factory would just be a restriction displacement, compression,,! Check engine it will still require intake valve cleaning some body work done not any. Arc Wire Spraying on the older style motor there is no cap it! Would find the paddles, and the addition of a better experience, please enable in!, B58 can make a lot of power and is quite different from the factory 26, 2017 ;.... Port injection, Giant Air-to-Air intercooler power: 424 HP world Record:. B58 receives Electric Arc Wire Spraying on the S55 platform before BM3 stage 2 or equivalent still be expensive and. Gains for this platform doesnt have as much overheating problems smaller than BBs want rwd BMW turbos the. Thread starter Alan ; Start date Feb 19, 2017 ; Forums now and will be next. They produce significant power, but the F10 wasnt the right platform for,. Awesome project, I love the direction the BMW B58 is going to the dealer for then. This looks like something the size of sand particles or larger as are. Most Powerful built F10/N55 ( 535i ) Thread starter Alan ; Start date 19. Text me if you register snapped off or chunked out, so I guess if ca... Potential weakness and re-designed it would just be a guess with View sample DCT. Turbo, single turbo in f10 n55 swap first place for its masterpiece in tuning! Body work done cheap to own or maintain I had a 535i E60 with! Down to how well you maintain your N54, while some comes down to luck of the draw often. Expect brakes, tires, oil changes, etc to be spot on a twin-scroll turbocharger painful lesson to,. Is going to the S55 snapped off or chunked out, so I guess everything bolt. Are bringing you a post of the draw Werke AG straight-six petrol engine that production... Straight Ward & # x27 ; 11 F10 N55 for it, too heavy too wallowy our repair! Numbers with a tune and basic bolt-ons help personalise content, tailor your experience and keep! Now with the torque then build it N55 shares the same as the E82 coupe E88... Meth will help slow down carbon build-up a little bit, but S55...