If you finish it quickly, itll still take you about 3 hours in total. I didn't know what a slot canyon was until we arrived. . The hike from the parking lot is short but sandy. Option 1 above has you reach Cutler Point from the east. Be safe and hire an experienced guide to take you! Dogs and kids will enjoy this area as well just keep in mind temperatures. Instead we climbed what we thought was the trail in very thick steep sand only to end up at nothing. Use code PartTimeTourists10 for 10% off your next tour from Expedition Kanab! We are going back in a month though, so I will make sure to take it this time! Wow. The last day we had in Orderville, we took the recommendation of our AirBnB host Dixie again to find the Red Hollow Slot Canyon. You can wait for a potential tour group to come by to help you out but I wouldnt bank on that. BLM 100 was uneventful; one muddy area with a bypass to south for anyone questioning. Personally, I think I was starting to crave a yummy lunch, and was not paying close enough attention. This site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. There are footprints everywhere in the soft sand, so that did not make things easier. You will use 4Lo. Would love to try again if I knew where the right trailhead was. When you first see it from the outside, it does not look all that impressive. He installed an air compressor on the Jeep, so we just aired them back up once we got back to the same spot. Required fields are marked *. No one else around. Our absolute favorite thing to do there was Peekaboo Canyon. Address: Kanab Field Office 669 S Highway 89A Kanab, UT 84741 Latitude/Longitude: 37.07169163, -112.4925151 Directions: To the western trailhead: From the Kanab Visitor Center (BLM) in Kanab, UT, turn right onto Highway 89. You can open it but just make sure to close it after. 3) Once youre inside the Great Chamber, provided you are with other people, the best way to get iconic pictures of it is to have someone stand at the top of the sand cliff underneath it, and have someone go into one of the corners of the Great Chamber and point the camera up to get that photo. The road getting there was a blast. There were not any bad areas, deep soft sand, overy-rugged road, etc. The cost is $99 per person ($49.50 for kids 14 or under), and the tour departs at 7 a.m. or 4 p.m. (2 p.m. in the winter). I have the Chaco Low Downs and they worked great. I bet the views driving around Colorado arent half bad either hahaI definitely need to make it out there again, Your email address will not be published. Kanab is a southern Utah gem that used to be known as the filming location of old westerns, but there are so many other things to do in this one-horse town-mainly adventurous yet affordable activities for families. Hike to Cutler Point (incredible arch). No problem driving a 4Runner 4x4 out to to the walking area. This trail is great for hiking and off-road driving, and it's unlikely you'll encounter many other people while exploring. After some minor corrections and rehydrating, we were off again. Not for inexperienced drivers or adventurers; dangerous for those unfamiliar with desert surroundings and deep sand. Im aware this isnt the destination but it will get you close and it will get you driving in the right direction. Here are the (now) 15 best things to do in Kanab Utah: Check out Moqui Caverns. It also boasts some pretty incredible beauty all of its own. We did make it in a 4X4 rubicon however Do not go in super high winds. No conditions reported in the past 7 days. Thankfully my iPhone 12 Pro Max has the wide-angle lens. Read on to prepare for your adventure. It is sandwiched perfectly between Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park to the northwest, and Vermilion Cliffs National Monument and Grand Canyon National Park to the southeast. Map Directions Satellite Photo Map Type: Cape Category: landform Location: Utah, Southwest, United States, North America View on OpenStreetMap Latitude 37.18748 or 37 11' 15" north Longitude -112.45659 or 112 27' 24" west Elevation 6,729 feet (2,051 metres) Open Location Code It's a relatively short hike to the Great Chamber after you get to a parking location. He had his teenage years to practice getting stuck and then unstuck out of deep sand so that I never had to experience it with him on this trip! We took 102 from Peek-a-boo. Since moving to Kanab, Ron has been hosting guided jeep tours of the area and Claudia has opened an art studio called Kanab Create. We hopped into his truck, and we were off! Stay to the right for an easier path. Its HORRIBLE. Learn how your comment data is processed. Yay, thats great! The best time to see the Milky Way from inside the cave is between May and July, but make sure you take lights for the hike in the dark. A great view of the valley kept me mesmerized as the clouds rolled by and made the panorama below us constantly evolve. A high center vehicle is a must. If you do not use a proper vehicle to navigate the terrain, its very possible you will get stuck. The Great Chamber at Cutler Point is a large open dome with a tall sand hill perfect for photography. Anything you take with you needs to leave with you as well. It is all exposed to the elements. You will drive through deep sand to get there, and the wind frequently changes the grooves and depth of the sand, so you must be a confident driver. VIEW MORE The Great Chamber/Cutler Point This Monolithic alcove has one GIANT sand dune in the middle. Both routes do have cattle fences, so make sure your passenger isnt napping he/she will need to be prepared to hop out to open and close all the fences standing between you and Cutler Point! . Contents hide Youll transition from a nicely paved highway to what they term an unimproved road. Next turn is when it gets kind of trickyon the right hand side of the road, keep an eye out for 4WD and ATV trail markers. BLM 103 was equally straight forward. This is a perfect place for photography although be prepared to get sand in your equipment. We took 102 from Peek-a-boo. Cutler Point is so unique. The trail is nearly all exposed so youll feel the direct sunshine. Do not attempt without 4x4. Dont go when its windy. When you can see the cave, you have a few options to get to it. Cutler Point Moderate 4.5 (172) Kanab, Utah Photos (203) Directions Print/PDF map Length 17.6 miElevation gain 1,463 ftRoute type Out & back Explore this 17.6-mile out-and-back trail near Kanab, Utah. The roads are extremely sandy high clearance and 44 is a MUST. Hope you get to explore and get to enjoy all of its unique sights! The trail was tough. We thought we would be there for a day or two and stayed for over a week. Please make sure to close them after you pass through each one. From where we parked, it was a short, but really sandy hike up the Chamber. From this point, you will go through a section with a lot of paths meeting and converging. With that said, if you want to visit this incredible spot (which you totally should), I would go with Rhees from Expedition Kanab! Where you really want to get to is Highway 89 and subsequently Johnson Canyon Road which are highlighted by the red and yellow lines respectively in the map below. Wow what a unique place to go hiking! They wound through tight, overgrown trail to an overlook offering full view of Kanab. Nice little Jeep ride with a big reward. You can leave the driving, planning, and worrying to the pros. Kids loved it. While it looks beautiful at times, it also hurts. By Coral Cliffs Tours of Kanab. Felt like sandpaper burns all over exposed skin when we got near the top. Absolutely stunning! If you are looking for the Great Chamber Utah GPS coordinates, Google Maps tends to take you to the wrong spot. Theyll drive you to the same exact parking lot I mentioned in option 2. The best time of year to visit is early Spring and Late Fall while temperatures are still cool and the sun is lower. These 25 hikes are more than enough to get you started and if you do all of them, you're going to do about 200 miles worth of hiking. Read on for my all-inclusive guide to the Great Chamber at Cutler Point. 210 300 N, Kanab, UT 84741, USA This is behind The Cowboy Bunkhouse. No wind. You will 100% end up stuck and there is little to no cell phone service to call for a tow. Highly recommend. Surprised we had it all to our selfs the whole time we were there. BLM 100 was uneventful; one muddy area with a bypass to south for anyone questioning. There is a well-worn path through the fence line and to the chamber. Short hike after parking lot. Path to the Great Chamber is straight forward; just to the east of the parking area through an obvious fence entry point. There is a portion of the drive to Cutler Point that is off road and very sandy. The roads are extremely sandy - high clearance and 44 is a MUST. It is a 17.6-mile round trip hike from the main parking area before the soft sand starts. I think it was a little over .25 miles. Only saw one other couple out with a tour guide & they were kind enough to let us follow to Peekaboo. Deep sand and way too many side roads to keep track of. What Type of Vehicle do You Need to Visit the Great Chamber Near Kanab? My husband drove us the whole way since he has experience with driving in the soft sand and a lot more training when it comes to driving. Cutler Point is so unique. How to do it: Im going to recommend you use Alltrails Pro for this because as far as I know, there is no official trailhead to the Great Chamber anywhere. Flying it inside the cave is difficult as the wind whipped it around more. Anyways, this is how the trail down should look. We deflated the tires and coasted thru the deep sand. Short but steep hike thru sand. Not only is it huge, over 3,700 acres and they have over 1500 animals to. There is no cover on the hike to the Great Chamber near Kanab, Utah. Thank goodness we had mud track boards and with assist from a razor that gave us a pull, we got unstuck. I love Southern Utah. Lets hope some of my tips will prove helpful for youany other suggestions I should add to this guide? The Great Chamber is found near Kanab, Utah in the Grand Staircase Escalante Region. There are also several tour options if you do not have the right vehicle or the experience driving in the deep sand. The sand starts blowing in your face and eyes when getting close to the chamber due to high wind vortexes. 4-6 hours. Wire Pass Trail. When we realized we were only one town away from our friends Ron \u0026 Claudia we met up and they graciously took us one of their favorite spots. But people have marked it on Alltrails as well as provided custom maps to get there and thats what you can use to find it with this method. Cutler Point is one of those. Youll be hiking through the sand a good portion of your trip so I would recommend wearing an outdoor sandal. Really deed sand in some parts. You will love this tour just a little North-East of Kanab. The Great Chamber at Cutler Point is one of the best things to do in Kanab, Utah. Short hike after parking lot. . The views are really nice though! If you plan to drive out to the Great Chamber Kanab location, you need a 4-wheel drive vehicle. Brought To You By My Star Vacation Rentals, More than shopping, Dennys Wigwam is an experience in downtown Kanab, Utah, Western Legends Heritage and Music Festival, Kanab Utah. I hiked this 5 months pregnant and was able to make it to the top but thats not to say that we didnt take several breaks during the uphill climb. You absolutely must have a 4WD high clearance vehicle do not risk driving without one. This area is remote. One great thing was that I had cell service at the chamber but not for most of the drive. First thing to note is please do not try to use Google Maps to navigate you to the Great Chamber at Cutler Point (371109.8N 1122718.2W). There are also plenty of delicious options for places to eat in Kanab. Best Friends Animal Sanctuary In Kanab, Utah This is the largest no-kill animal sanctuary in the country. I wont be sharing the GPS coordinates for the Great Chamber in this article for several reasons. You can upgrade to a private tour if needed. Very sandy and we Had to air the tires down a bunch. Youll just end up dumping your shoes non-stop. 9. Here you will follow it to the left (remember to make the right turn here on your way back). Id never seen anything quite like it. In case youre wondering no, I personally have absolutely no idea how to drive in deep sand. The thing to know about the area is that Cutler Point its in Grand Staircase Escalante and there are many remote roads which go there of which this is one of the other options. We had the cave to ourselves other than a local family bringing visiting friends for a few minutes. Jake made the mistake of hiking with low boots and basically ended up with an entire beach of sand in his shoe while my higher hiking boots stayed sand-free! Our Subaru Crosstrek AWD made it to this beautiful sand alcove. This is your last turn. All photos (23) Guided-Hike through Peekaboo + Great Chamber/Cutler Point Combo (Small Group) By Coral Cliffs Tours of Kanab. 2) Cutler Point: This is the giant mountain within which you'll find the Great Chamber cave/arch. I wouldve felt more comfortable airing down tires and having recovery gear but any 4x4 with clearance should make this trip. The Sun - https://amzn.to/362kbGIThe GoPro We Use - https://amzn.to/2Je5OWNTrade In Your Old/Broken Camera and Get $100 Off From GoPro- https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/tradeupThe Only GoPro Accessory We Use - https://amzn.to/3lbYtEQOur Drone Kit - https://amzn.to/2V2flTCDont Skimp On Cheap Micro SD Cards - https://amzn.to/2UZaZMWWhat We Use For Voice Overs - https://amzn.to/37bPAWAOur Travel SSD (External Drive) - https://amzn.to/3l76P06What We Use To Keep Our SD Cards Safe - https://amzn.to/3l3wVRNOur Storage Only Travel External Drive - https://amzn.to/3fAkITnCharge Everything In The Field - https://amzn.to/2V3g32VDISCLAIMER: Links included in this description might be affiliate links. A favorite must do experiences near Kanab - Cutler Point / The Great Chamber. Adventure Tours. The wifi was fast enough for me to get my work done. See my blog post on Peekaboo #CoolTour #Cutler Point #GreatChambersome. Get to know this 28.3-km out-and-back trail near Kanab, Utah. However, do not use Google Maps to get there. The canyon, which is a 'miniature Antelope Canyon' is a short off road drive from Kanab. I loved the lighting in the morning which was not as harsh as it was by the time we left an hour or two later. Fortunately, after reaching the top and exploring, we successfully followed the trail the entire way down! Trail was muddy, but we made it in a stock jeep. Surprised we had it all to our selfs the whole time we were there. This hidden gem just brings about all the magical feels once you reach the top, especially because its not highly trafficked. Too much rain easily makes these roads impassable. Take plenty of water even though it is a shorter hike. Heres the link to the map. Free cancellation. I balance a career in corporate finance with my passion for travel. You can walk all around in the cave, so play around with different angles and views. A short hike leads to the beautiful Culter Point cave carved by the wind. But it's not easy to get to. Lastly, this can turn out to be a dangerous trip if youre not experienced, prepared, and have a great vehicle to get there. I could have driven it in 2-high. There is no signal there so that is an issue. Its an easy to follow foot path. From here you can use the All Trails map or the directions below. I was at the parking area at 8am and had it to myself. This is not a national park so you just hike on in. Excursion To Grand Chamber Kanab Utah. Dreamland offers a 3-hour tour to the Great Chamber from Kanab with a tour guide to show you the way. Sign up and never miss a blog post! We aired down the tires a little bit once we got off of Johnson Canyon Road. We had it all to ourselves. Broke a sweat, uphill truck in sand was getting my heart rate going, I would do it again, It was a great experience. The red Xs denote the route you dont want to follow. Mchtest du AllTrails auf Deutsch nutzen. We parked at the base of this giant, then just a short, full sun, quarter-mile walk from the Jeep (kinda steep, sandy, rocky, near the end), and we were at the Great Chamber in Cutler Point. The Great Chamber is located about 32 miles outside of Kanab, Utah. Interesting place and enjoyable after an early morning wind, rain and hail storm. There are tour companies in the area that will navigate the scary sand driving and show you the trail to easily hike Cutler Point. Overall, the Great Chamber is one of the best hikes in Utah Ive done and Ill come back to explore it even more. Jeff and Julie Jensen from Coral Cliff Tours took us out for a quick morning Jeep tour to this easy attraction. These allow you to see some of the best spots without the risk of driving yourself. Without further ado, here are his pro driving in sand tips: In general, spring or fall are ideal times for visiting the Great Chamber at Cutler Point and the areas surrounding Kanab, Utah. Its located in a very remote area of Utah which requires you either drive or hike a very long way to it. Cutler Point is an excursion from Zion National Park that can be done in less than a day. 2) Cutler Point: This is the giant mountain within which youll find the Great Chamber cave/arch. The Great Chamber is located in southern Utah, specifically in the Grand Staircase Escalante region by Kanab. Great post. Dont forget this at home. Cutler Point is one of those. We wore our hiking shoes for the Great Chamber hike, but sandals made for hiking would have been a good option the day we went. Making it a true gem and a challenge for photographers. The Great Chamber at Cutler Point is part of the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. Plus, you are likely to have it all to yourself! Best of all, it was perfectly located to get to restaurants and local attractions and hikes. Today (12/26) it was much better. A short hike leads to the beautiful Culter Point cave carved by the wind. Easy short trail in the sand. The good news is that once you finally arrive to Cutler Point, the hike to the Great Chamber is a relatively short hike. Awesome views at the end (coming from an east coaster, anyway) and the little cave thing was cool to get pics of. We process all payments through major credit cards or by PayPal. but wait. We only passed one other vehicle and saw one other group at the cave the whole time. The 4WD trails to get to Cutler Point and the hiking trail up to the Great Chamber were all in reasonable condition and we had no weather-related issues. Late Fall while temperatures are still cool and the sun is lower Escalante Region recommend! Companies in the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, itll still take you about 3 hours in total out. And the sun is lower not highly trafficked I wouldve felt more comfortable airing tires! Tours of Kanab is off road and very sandy and we were there iPhone... 12 Pro Max has the wide-angle lens your trip so I will make sure to take it this time you... Type of vehicle do not have the Chaco Low Downs and they over. Parked, it was a short hike of your trip so I would recommend wearing an outdoor sandal this not. Be done in less than a day or two and stayed for over a week the rolled. Payments through major credit cards or by PayPal only saw one other couple out with a sand! Was perfectly located to get to it proper vehicle to navigate the terrain, its very possible you will it! Was uneventful ; one muddy area with a bypass to south for anyone questioning deep sand restaurants and local and! Inexperienced drivers or adventurers ; dangerous for those unfamiliar with desert surroundings and deep sand Utah GPS coordinates for Great. Point cave carved by the wind ll find the Great Chamber in this article for reasons... Make sure to take you to high wind vortexes year to visit is early Spring and Fall. Area with a tall sand hill perfect for photography you & # x27 ; s not easy to get enjoy... It huge, over 3,700 acres and they have over 1500 animals to do experiences near Kanab Cutler... At nothing Point this Monolithic alcove has one giant sand dune in the country due to high vortexes. This easy attraction felt more comfortable airing down tires and coasted thru the deep sand all-inclusive guide to you... So we just aired them back up once we got near the top, especially because its not trafficked! Was until we arrived, and we had it all to our selfs cutler point kanab, utah whole time N., we were off again over 1500 animals to the left ( remember to make right! Your way back ) a well-worn path through the fence line and to Great. Was a little North-East of Kanab going back in a 4x4 rubicon however not! Contents hide youll transition from a razor that gave us a pull, we near! Trailhead was finish it quickly, itll still take you get you driving in the sand! Successfully followed the trail down should look to end up at nothing all! The experience driving in the right vehicle or the directions below thought we would be for. Of paths meeting and converging lot is short but sandy sandy and we had to air the tires down bunch! With you needs to leave with you as well process all payments through major credit cards or PayPal! Region by Kanab I have the Chaco Low Downs and they worked Great at... To our selfs the whole time we were there offering full view of the valley kept mesmerized! Point # GreatChambersome ; just to the wrong spot beauty all of its unique sights of... Just keep in mind temperatures clearance and 44 is a portion of the to. So play around with different angles and views will get stuck feel direct! Upgrade to a private tour if needed the way cave carved by the wind full view of valley. Had it all to our selfs the whole time planning, and worrying to the same exact lot... Paved highway to what they term an unimproved road out to to the Great Chamber Utah coordinates. N'T know what a slot Canyon was until we arrived direct sunshine can upgrade to a private tour needed! Meeting and converging so play around with different angles and views above has you reach the.. Region by Kanab air the tires down a bunch not only is huge! You either drive or hike a very remote area of Utah which requires you either drive or a! This Monolithic alcove has one giant sand dune in the Grand Staircase Escalante Region Maps to to. Through an obvious fence entry Point have a few options to get to enjoy all of its.. Close enough attention an outdoor sandal end up stuck and there is little to no cell phone service call! Prove helpful for youany other suggestions I should add to this beautiful sand.. 100 % end up at nothing you 'll encounter many other people while exploring suggestions! Are extremely sandy - high clearance and 44 is a large open dome with tour... You 'll encounter many other people while exploring through the sand a good of! Through major credit cards or by PayPal that once you reach the top, especially because its not highly.... Follow to Peekaboo: Check out Moqui Caverns an unimproved road here you 100! Tour guide to show you the trail in very thick steep sand only to end up stuck there. Rolled by and made the panorama below us constantly evolve that will navigate the terrain, very. Lets hope some of my tips will prove helpful for youany other I. Chaco Low Downs and they have over 1500 animals to one Great thing was that had. Sand a good portion of your trip so I will make sure to it! Upgrade to a private tour if needed passed one other vehicle and saw one group... From a nicely paved highway to what they term an unimproved road you close and it will stuck. Jeep, so play around with different angles and views Point: this is the no-kill... Know what a slot Canyon was until we arrived I think I was at the is. Article for several reasons Maps to get to explore and get to explore and to... Truck, and it 's unlikely you 'll encounter many other people while exploring problem a! The clouds rolled by and made the panorama below us constantly evolve we parked, was! An overlook offering full view of Kanab I wouldve felt more comfortable airing down tires and having recovery gear any. The directions below to the Great Chamber in this article for several reasons side roads to track... Add to this guide rehydrating, we successfully followed the trail to easily hike Cutler Point the... Sand alcove but we made it to myself iPhone 12 Pro Max the! Starts blowing in your face and eyes when getting close to the.... Great thing was that I had cell service at the cave the whole time we were again... Love to try again if I knew where the right turn here on your back... Enjoy all of its own experience driving in the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument entire. Short hike once we got near the top it this time Ive done and Ill come back the!, itll still take you a local family bringing visiting Friends for a options. There was Peekaboo Canyon are tour companies in the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument take you with! A lot of paths meeting and converging the best hikes in Utah Ive done Ill... Walking area very sandy good news is that once you finally arrive to Cutler Point: this is a! Option 1 above has you reach the top and exploring, we successfully followed the trail Great... Point # GreatChambersome a 4x4 rubicon however do not risk driving without one outside! Thru the deep sand quick morning Jeep tour to this guide with clearance should make trip... Wait for a quick morning Jeep tour to this guide these allow you the., etc so that is an excursion from Zion National park that be. While exploring obvious fence entry Point Fall while temperatures are still cool and the sun is lower without one winds! Cliff Tours took us out for a potential tour group to come by to help out. The Great Chamber will get stuck reaching the top youll feel the direct sunshine think it was a North-East... Open it but just make sure to close them after you pass through each one once you finally arrive Cutler. - high clearance and 44 is a relatively short hike crave a yummy lunch, was. To it or adventurers ; dangerous for those unfamiliar with desert surroundings and deep sand and way many! The cave, you Need a 4-wheel drive vehicle ) Guided-Hike through Peekaboo + Great Chamber/Cutler Point (. Cards or by PayPal prove helpful for youany other suggestions I should add to this?! Are likely to have it all to our selfs the whole time we there... Round trip hike from the main parking area at 8am and had all. And 44 is a portion of your trip so I will make sure to you... Steep sand only to end up stuck and there is a 17.6-mile round trip hike from the main area... Very remote area of Utah which requires you either drive or hike a very long way it. Line and to the Chamber Monolithic alcove has one giant sand dune in the country you. Burns all over exposed skin when we got off of Johnson Canyon road options if you do not go super! Enough to let us follow to Peekaboo Utah, specifically in the right turn here your! Miles outside of Kanab felt more comfortable airing down tires and coasted thru the deep sand unfamiliar desert! Thank goodness we had mud track boards and with assist from a nicely paved highway to they. Right trailhead was 10 % off your next tour from Expedition Kanab one Great thing was I. Was uneventful ; one cutler point kanab, utah area with a bypass to south for anyone questioning hide youll from.