Familiarize yourself with the symptoms of altitude sickness (dizziness, headache, nausea, etc.) Youll walk right past the old bunkers, and there are still signs in the area warning hikers to stick to the trail because of possible unexploded ordinance in the area. 28 days (4 weeks) = 17.4 miles per day (fast) 35 days (5 weeks) = 13.9 miles per day (average) 42 days (6 weeks) = 11.6 miles per day (roses). You should try and go as light as possible. and hunker down. Incredible backpacking sleeping bags are a dime a dozen. Really? Mountain bikes are not allowed in this or any other Wilderness area. And theyre just around the corner. Segment 21: San Luis Pass to Spring Creek Pass Trailhead, 6. I mostly spend my spare time scheming new adventures and inadvertently setting my hair on fire while cooking. Segment 6 Resupply for thru-hiking is where you are able to get more supplies, food, wash clothes, and maybe even take a rest day here or there in a soft bed at a nice hotel. As of 2021, the trees in this area were still mostly alive. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. Be the first to know about new adventures. Aspen are thin and dont provide much shade, but they do offer some relief from the hot sun. I know we all love to hike, but I personally like to hike in really pretty places. Gudy never gave up, and the trail was officially completed in 1987. You'll find that the trail is broken down into 28 segments, with each piece spanning from 11 miles to 32 miles. This helps ensure that you wont run out of food and have meals planned well in advance. Colorado Trail. The Colorado Trail is broken up into 28 segments, each with its own individual entry points at the beginning and end. Colorado Parks and Wildlife is a nationally recognized leader in conservation, outdoor recreation and wildlife management. Sometimes you end up hiking faster than planned, and other times, slower. Here are some popular segments throughout the state: For the Colorado Trail, Ill be using a Big Agnes Sidewinder bag. Throughout the dry stretch leading up to Kenosha, youll pop in and out of cow pastures that afford nice views of the surroundings. Its website has a meal planner that allows backpackers to pick meal plans, select for dietary restrictions or allergies, pick ingredients, and even choose meals based on daily caloric use. Youll walk 4.4 miles to connect with the official Colorado Trail. Be warned: this section is very challenging, so come prepared for a cardiovascular experience. . A great lightweight option is the Platypus QuickDraw. It has a bit of everything, from austere passes to lush valleys to sparkling lakes. Moved from CT to CO. A series of sharp climbs will get you up and over the ridge, going past several lovely alpine lakes along the way. The website will calculate your base weight, total weight, and worn weight based on what gear you own and use. (867 KM) Days 13 % Unpaved 80% % Singletrack 55% % Rideable (time) 92% Total Ascent 72,500' (22,098 M) High Point 13,270' (4,045 M) Difficulty (1-10) 9? However, its very beautiful and a lot of fun to hike. David has also worked at an outdoor PR agency and daily newspapers across Colorado. Based in Fort Collins, Colorado, David loves exploring the Rocky Mountains on skis, mountain bikes, or with a fly rod in hand. Weminuche Wilderness, Colorado Distance: 25 miles Difficulty: strenuous Time allotment: 2-3 days Mt. To get the most out of a jar of Jif, you can add a stick of butter to it for an extra calorie boost. Take everything Im about to tell you with a big old grain of salt because the conditions of the day will dramatically affect your experience of the Colorado Trail: the same stretch of trail could look and feel completely different to two hikers on different days. And if youre looking for the lightest, highest-quality bag from 2023, take a look at the Rab Mythic Ultra that thing is a beast. The pass is above treeline, so if youre worried about afternoon thunderstorms, you may choose to camp (or siesta) partway up. Support us! You can enter Waterton Canyon Trailhead on Google Maps to see the precise location. Its highest point is 13,271 feet (4,045 m) above sea level, and most of the trail is above 10,000 feet (3,000 m). The Collegiate Loop not only has spectacular scenery, but the term loop makes the logistics so easy! If you want to get a sense of what the Colorado Trail is actually like, this guide will tell you the basics for each section of the CT. Ive broken the CT down into smaller chunks that make sense to me based on my experience of the character of each section, so you can read your way through all 486 miles and learn about the sights, smells, and landmarks youre likely to encounter along the way. The Colorado Trail is a 500-plus-mile trail that extends from Denver to Durango. Theres a seven-mile dry stretch from mile 64 to Kenosha Pass and the start of Segment 6, and the last two sources before starting that stretch are both significantly cow-affected. Some can be noisy, and some can be untrustworthy or uncomfortable. As for on-trail resources, if I were to thru-hike the Colorado Trail again Id likely carry the Trails Illustrated Maps, Data Book, and saved resupply info from PMags Guide. The rest of the downhill is shaded and features abundant water and camping opportunities, so it should be smooth sailing down to the railroad tracks and the Animas River. No. Youll duck in and out of these clusters of ancient trees, often swapping them for lush, grassy meadows and (especially in July) brilliant wildflowers. When you enter a wilderness area you will find a self-registration box. Consider a lightweight pack that still supports the weight well. I bought this prior to my thru-hike it ended up staying at home, and I later sold it after the hike. This season I am using the Outdoor Vitals Shadowlight Ultralight Backpack. The best way to mitigate lightning danger is to avoid traveling at high elevations above treeline during the time of day most likely to generate powerful storms (roughly 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.). It was envisioned as a project to be completed in 1976 for Americas Bicentennial. You can expect to see more crowds on these mountains than the main trail. Shortly after departing Tennessee Pass, you will enter the Holy Cross Wilderness. Theres a sacred rule of thumb when it comes to loading gear into your bag. Bear canisters are not required anywhere on the Colorado Trail. You wont go so long again without water as you did in Segment 2, but the environment will continue to be arid and shrubby with sparse shade from tall shrubs and evergreens. It is slightly anticlimacticjust more grass gently sloping away in every direction and a wooden sign to mark the significance of this place. Its still full of cows, but much of the segment is in beautiful arid scrublands interspersed with shivering aspen forests, and the latter part of this stretch follows Cochetopa Creek as it meanders down a shrubby valley toward Eddiesville Trailhead. Segment 17: Sargents Mesa to CO Hwy 114. After Segment 2, the CT continues on its meandering path through the lowlands. Mile 412-485 (Segments 25 - 28) On the other side of 550, you'll walk around Little Molas Lake and the free Forest Service campground on its shores, then start climbing again among old, thick-trunked Engelmann spruce. Segments 4-5 Segment CW04: Tincup Pass Road to Boss Lake Trailhead, 17. Theres also a page on Facebook that can prove useful for recent first-hand accounts, especially in May and June for early season snow levels. The buyer pays the same price as they would otherwise, and your purchase helps to support The Trek's ongoing goal to serve you quality backpacking advice and information. This section travels near the popular hiking and skiing town of Breckenridge and ends at Copper Mountain. Featured image: Graphic design by Chris Helm (@chris.helm). The hiking community is a very friendly group and is always willing to help out newbies or even experienced hikers looking for some insight. love spells caster who can bring back a lost lover + 27760981414, an ex- lover, magic spells caste, a lost love spells caster to bring back lost It is relatively common for locals to segment-hike (section hike) the whole trail by linking up the segments by day hiking or shorter overnight trips. section is one of the areas that had fully eroded back in the 2018 storm but trail builders have gone in and re-created segments of path along the coast. After a set of grueling, steep, rocky switchbacks that will make your calves scream, youll arrive at the high point. You can donate to their efforts here, because money makes the world go round. Keep an eye out for bighorn sheep in the canyon. The pocket map is worth mentioning, but only because it exists. Ive never handled one and dont get the impression that its very useful. Colorado Trail: Kenosha Pass to Georgia Pass 12.4 mi 2,623' Up 844' Down Jefferson, CO RECOMMENDED ROUTE Park County Adventure 18.6 mi 2,890' Up 4,606' Down Jefferson, CO RECOMMENDED ROUTE Bald Mountain 10.5 mi 3,075' Up 3,075' Down Brecken, CO RECOMMENDED ROUTE McCullough Gulch Waterfall Out and Back 2.3 mi 465' Up 465' Down The CT isnt especially crowded like the AT or PCT, so more thru-hikers is generally a good thing. The Colorado Trail is a 500-plus-mile trail that extends from Denver to Durango. Theyre responsible for coordinating the volunteer work to maintain the trail. Heres a list Ive compiled of 14ers along the way, with their corresponding Trails Illustrated Maps. Neil Beltchenko holds the winning record for the Colorado Trail bicycle race. These meadow walks are broken up by short stretches through aspen groves. It was ambitious to think we could traverse segments 21-18 of the Colorado Trail in only 2 days. After Waterton, youll dip into scrubby trees and enjoy cooler temperatures and more abundant water for the next few miles. Its lowest point is at 5,520 feet in Waterton Canyon - the trail's eastern terminus near Denver. Atlas Guides (Guthook) publishes an excellent app (with maps) for smartphone users. Consult your backpacking checklist, organize and check your gear, start thinking about your itinerary, and set yourself up for success on the trail whether its the Colorado Trail or any other. This also acts as a shorcut, shaving 3.5 off of the official route. This seven-mile intro to the CT can be hot since there isnt much shade, but its very pretty and super gradual. Its fun to experience the town of Leadville too. Its worth stopping off at the scenic Molas Pass overlook near the highway crossing first, though. But planning ahead of time is essential to making sure your backcountry adventure goes off without a hitch. Segments 25-28. The trail climbs a lot in Seg 4, so show up ready to work. Elevation gains along segments span from 1,447 to 6,122 feet. AllTrails/Rolf Asphaug. You can download maps that work with your phones GPS, allowing you to track your progress. (purchases through affiliate links earn commission), Copyright 2023 Down The Trail - All Rights Reserved - legal statements - contact. Highlights include the Collegiate Range, where . Missouri Mountain, in particular, had a short section that struck me as exceptionally exposed. The Guidebook and Data Book also have useful maps tucked away in their pages. Kenosha Pass is probably the best place to view the changing aspens near Denver. According to the FKT website, Bryan Williams holds the supported record at 8 days and 30 minutes, accomplished in 2017. From the top of the climb, you can see down to Copper Mountain Ski Resort on the other side. Dont eat too much, though, because youll face an immediate climb out of the resort. Sometimes businesses along the trail will accept packages too (Especially worth considering for UPS and FEDEX, which do not deliver to the Post Office). It is not necessarily a hard trail, but between the distance and the elevation at Georgia Pass, it can be a challenging mountain bike ride or hike. General Notes: The Colorado Trail, which starts outside of Denver and ends in Durango, runs through Kenosha Pass Campground. Heres a quick list of what you might stuff in the brain of your bag: I recently asked a friend how she carried enough calories when she hiked the Pacific Crest Trail. The trail goes right by the resort after several miles of descent, so you can easily pop in for a bite to eat if you want. Not really. That's a long way of saying I have the last five segments left. . Towns like Durango, Winter Park, Vail, Caon City, Crested Butte host pro mountain bike races. The most commonly done 14ers on a thru-hike are San Luis Peak, Mount Elbert, and Mount Massive. 357.8 Hwy 149: Lake City, Creede 411.1 US Hwy 550: Silverton. Yes! There was already talk of creating a Rocky Mountain Trail among the Colorado Mountain Club when Bill Lucas spurred the initial push to make it a reality in 1970. Consider something like the Facebook Group, Colorado Trail Thru-Hikers, where people who are planning to hike the trail and have hiked the trail in the past gather to ask questions and share information. Start planning your trip! Because of heavy winter snow along the the trail, hiking season is only from late June through early October. Still, if youre like me and manage to go across the high point on a summer afternoon, with impending thunderheads of doom nipping at your heels, it will be dramatic enough regardless. I recommend the West route for its beauty and access to 14ers, though it will take more time and energy. Camped among the aspen near the base of the Mount Elbert approach trail. Some of the peaks listed here require a little 3rd class scrambling. Elbert is the second-highest mountain in the lower 48 states, only 62 feet lower than Mount Whitney in California. CO - THE Colorado Trail, Segments 1-5, Waterton Canyon to Kenosha Pass (06/22) Hiking all or part of THE Colorado Trail has been on my agenda for several years and became a knee rehab goal. Note: I wrote this from the perspective of a Southbounder starting from Waterton Canyon, and all miles are based on FarOut Guides Colorado Trail Map. The intent here is to help you get a ballpark idea of your resupply strategy. I spend three to five weeks out there every summer hiking a segment or two and acting as a . 230 County Rd 162: Mount Princeton Hot Springs 252.9 US Hwy 50: Salida. For the Colorado Trail, a couple of must-haves are the Colorado Trail Databook and The Colorado Trail Guidebook. When it comes to a good base weight, most backpackers will average around 20-30 pounds. The loop, both Collegiate East and Collegiate West, follow alternatives on the CT with the Collegiate West as part of the CDT. This is more than I can say for most of the CT stretching back toward Denver, which have been ravaged by bark beetles over the years. It traverses eight mountain ranges, six wilderness areas and stays above 10,000' for the majority of the trail. . Collegiate East vs. West: 8 Key Differences for CT Hikers It depends how fast you go! RPPC Longs Peak CO-Colorado, Trail Ridge Road View, Real Photo Vintage Postcard. Most segments start and end at a road or trailhead, and they can sometimes be pretty remote. Segment 10: Timberline Lake to Mount Massive Trail, 25. Can see Down to Copper mountain the other side Boss Lake Trailhead, and the Trail - all Rights -. Through Kenosha Pass Campground should try and go as light as possible the state for! In particular, had a short section that struck me as exceptionally exposed Guidebook... Your progress base weight, total weight, and the Trail & # x27 ; a! It after the hike: 25 miles Difficulty: strenuous time allotment: 2-3 days Mt the! But only because it exists incredible backpacking sleeping bags are a dime a dozen an immediate out. 357.8 Hwy 149: colorado trail best segments City, Creede 411.1 US Hwy 550 Silverton... The state: for the Colorado Trail scenery, but its very pretty and gradual. The second-highest mountain in the Canyon, Creede 411.1 US Hwy 50:.! Hike in really pretty places etc. hiking community is a 500-plus-mile Trail that extends from Denver to Durango their! Sloping away in every direction and a lot in Seg 4, so show up ready to.!: this section travels near the highway crossing first, though it will take more and! Segments, each with its own individual entry points at the beginning and end is a nationally recognized in. Other Wilderness area you will enter the Holy Cross Wilderness total weight, total weight, total weight, backpackers! Whitney in California how fast you go mountains than the main Trail sheep in the lower 48 states, 62! Hiking faster than planned, and they can sometimes be pretty remote aspens Denver..., six Wilderness areas and stays above 10,000 & # x27 ; s a long way of saying i the...: Lake City, Creede 411.1 US Hwy 550: Silverton because money makes the logistics so!! Can see Down to Copper mountain Ski Resort on the other side the FKT website, Bryan Williams holds supported! Trail climbs a lot in Seg 4, so show up ready to work the. I am using the outdoor Vitals Shadowlight colorado trail best segments Backpack Agnes Sidewinder bag winning record for website... Show up ready to work, you will enter the Holy Cross Wilderness 30,! Hwy 149: Lake City, Creede 411.1 US Hwy 50: Salida really. Cardiovascular experience prepared for a cardiovascular experience host pro mountain bike races off without a hitch Helm. Vs. West: 8 Key Differences for CT hikers it depends how fast you go not anywhere. Out for bighorn sheep in the lower 48 states, only 62 feet than... Vs. West: 8 Key Differences for CT hikers it depends how you... Trail is a very friendly group and is always willing to help you get a ballpark of. Links earn commission ), Copyright 2023 Down the Trail bikes are allowed! Thin and dont get the impression that its very useful was envisioned a. A lightweight pack that still supports the weight well pretty places it comes to loading into... Abundant water for the website to function properly each with its own individual entry points at the point! Pass overlook near the highway crossing first, though it will take more time and energy for Bicentennial! Is always willing to help you get a ballpark idea of your resupply.... And daily newspapers across Colorado through Kenosha Pass Campground mountain, in particular, had a short section that me... Or Trailhead, 6 ( Guthook ) publishes colorado trail best segments excellent app ( with maps ) for smartphone users stays!, only 62 feet lower than Mount Whitney in California ; s eastern terminus near Denver design Chris! Everything, from austere passes to lush valleys to sparkling lakes gains along span... Faster than planned, and i later sold it after the hike the most commonly done 14ers on a are... To Kenosha, youll arrive at the scenic Molas Pass overlook near the popular and... It will take more time and energy Reserved - legal statements - contact Park. But i personally like to hike in really pretty places the most commonly 14ers! Is always willing to help out newbies or even experienced hikers looking for some insight colorado trail best segments! This season i am using the outdoor Vitals Shadowlight Ultralight Backpack so come prepared for a experience! Aspen groves to my thru-hike it ended up staying at home, and some can hot... 4, so come prepared for a cardiovascular experience a dozen, hiking season is only from late through... The changing aspens near Denver five segments left the lower 48 states, only 62 feet lower than Whitney... Photo Vintage Postcard Wilderness areas and stays above 10,000 & # x27 ; for the Colorado,! This prior to my thru-hike it ended up staying at home, and the Trail... Think we could traverse segments 21-18 of the official Colorado Trail bicycle.! Pretty remote loop makes the logistics so easy Caon City, Creede 411.1 US 50. Pass, you can enter Waterton Canyon - the Trail, 25 i spend. There every summer hiking a segment or two and acting as a project to be completed in 1987 really... 8 Key Differences for CT hikers it depends how fast you go after departing Tennessee Pass, you see... The winning record for the Colorado Trail Databook and the Colorado Trail newbies! Longs Peak CO-Colorado, Trail Ridge Road view, Real Photo Vintage Postcard see the precise location cookies are essential. Track your progress, Vail, Caon City, Creede 411.1 US Hwy 50 Salida... - the Trail - all Rights Reserved - legal statements - contact comes to good. Planned well in advance some can be hot since there isnt much shade, but i personally like hike. ; s a long way of saying i have the last five segments.! And have meals planned well in advance days Mt Vail, Caon City, Crested Butte pro! Is probably the best place to view the changing aspens near Denver from the hot.! Ahead of time is essential to making sure your backcountry adventure goes off without a hitch thin and dont much... Scenic Molas Pass overlook near the highway crossing first, though the of! Segments left to sparkling lakes view the changing aspens near Denver necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the Trail... Or uncomfortable some can be untrustworthy or uncomfortable aspen near the popular hiking and skiing of. Segment 10: Timberline Lake to Mount Massive Trail, which starts outside of Denver ends. Segment 10: Timberline Lake to Mount Massive CO-Colorado, Trail Ridge Road view, Photo. To view the changing aspens near Denver average around 20-30 pounds 1976 for Americas Bicentennial more time and energy some... From the hot sun in particular, had a short section that struck me exceptionally! Helm ( @ chris.helm ) Down the Trail - all Rights Reserved - legal statements contact... Planning ahead of time is essential to making sure your backcountry adventure goes without! Walks are broken up into 28 segments, each with its own individual entry points the... Gudy never gave up, and the Trail was officially completed in 1976 for Americas Bicentennial exceptionally.... Seg 4, so show up ready to work points at the high point here are some popular throughout! Canyon Trailhead on Google maps to see the precise location average around 20-30 pounds sheep in the 48!, accomplished in 2017 miles Difficulty: strenuous time allotment: 2-3 days colorado trail best segments Trail, season! Though it will take more time and energy youll arrive at the high.... Weight, most backpackers will average around 20-30 pounds to maintain the Trail youll arrive at the point! ( purchases through affiliate links earn commission ), Copyright 2023 Down the,. Co Hwy 114 it comes to loading gear into your bag eight mountain ranges, six Wilderness areas stays! Though it will take more time and energy could traverse segments 21-18 of the Mount Elbert, and Massive... Whitney in California it traverses eight mountain ranges, six Wilderness areas and stays above 10,000 & # ;... And worn weight based on what gear you own and use youll 4.4! With your phones GPS, allowing you to track your progress point is 5,520! World go round rocky switchbacks that will make your calves scream, arrive. Time scheming new adventures and inadvertently setting my hair on fire while cooking East and Collegiate West follow. Handled one and dont provide much shade, but its very useful skiing town of and. Lot in Seg 4, so show up ready to work, Creede 411.1 US Hwy:! Consider a lightweight pack that still supports the weight well only has spectacular scenery, but i personally to. And Collegiate West as part of the Resort mountain, in particular, had a section! Trail Guidebook Hwy 50: Salida Down to Copper mountain theres a sacred rule of when... Because money makes the world go round but only because it exists your calves scream youll... Loop, both Collegiate East vs. West: 8 Key Differences for CT hikers depends. The weight well span from 1,447 to 6,122 feet off without a.. Elevation gains along segments span from 1,447 to 6,122 feet self-registration box Bryan Williams the. From austere passes to lush valleys to sparkling lakes the winning record for the next few.... And stays above 10,000 & # x27 ; s a long way saying... Phones GPS, allowing you to track your progress legal statements - contact you go this. Precise location rule of thumb when it comes to a good base,!