We work together as a close-knit team, ensuring that each client has every advantage at all stages of the publishing process. Shortly after, I participated in PitMad on Twitter, and my pitch soared to become one of the most popular tweets of the day. Thanks for another interesting and useful interview. The worlds biggest shout out to my darling boyfriends unending support, the unwavering enthusiasm from my writing besties, and Celestial Seasonings Vermont Maple Ginger tea. It was early on July 1, 2020, the suns first rays creeping past the cypress trees in the backyard, and I couldnt sleep, wide awake with new-draft jitters. The information found here is subject to change. Upmarket fiction! So we will skip to book number three, also known as THE FIRST BOOK I QUERIED. Id worked so hard, for SO many months, and everyone loved the premise of my story. Or, at the very least, I hope it doesnt make you feel worse? If you mention I did not query that book. My advice to you: don't give up, ask questions, Claire had read the revised version of my . works including religious overtones, One of the things, I dislike in children's fiction. illustrators too! By the end of July, I had a new version of the same book, one that made me laugh and cry while writing it, one that felt like coming home. We are dedicated to guiding our clients to the greatest possible success. part of the publishing industry whether if it was to be an editor, literary I had never been rejected before; nothing Id written had ever even gotten a bad grade. Before I knew it, I had over 20 agents with materials. from shady practices. Todd, if for some reason you are reading this post, I am very sorry. Claire, thanks for not blacklisting me! See something that needs updating? Please take the time to verify anything you might use here https://querymanager.com/query/AnaliezeCervantes. you. stephaniemstories@gmail.com, What a refreshing interview after reading one with a much older and cynical agent. (In YA, think THE CHEERLEADERS or ACE OF SPADES. Query Letter: (required)Tips for formatting and pasting textEnter your query letter for this book. Submissions should be emailed to submissions@inkwellmanagement.com, Queries should be emailed to: submissions@inkwellmanagement.com. In May 2020, I decided, without a doubt, that I would finish writing a book that year. I was so certain of this, and so determined to get back in the querying trenches, that I wrote it in 28 days. Claire graduated with degrees in English and History, and continues to have stress dreams about the core curriculum. Theres always that tiny seed of doubt in the back of your mind, the doubt sprouting about an agent asking you to revise and resubmit, but when she said shed like to offer representation, Im certain I let out a breath I knew Id been holding. Not one person requested. Some didn't like the characters, or thought the plot was too hard to follow. the right sidebar) and leave a comment through July 31st. Im always craving books like ADDIE LA RUE or SERPENT & DOVE (two of my all-time faves!) My previous 3 books were nothing compared to this one. Im a sucker for a charming con artist, or an intricately plotted heist. It took four months. Thanks for the thorough interview. She requested in 2 minutes. Claire Harris is a literary agent with a passion for a wide range of fiction and nonfiction for adults. To enter, all you I revised super quickly, as I tend to do when Im excited, and then I queried. The Harvey Klinger Literary Agency has In the meantime, I wrote another manuscript. Query Sent: May 2, 2022 Nudged: June 24. Revising would take weeks, but I had a deadline. becoming familiar with ways to spot and avoid bad agents. In fairness, at the time I thought that was AWESOME and really, it could have been worse! This agent is seeking the following genres: Gave me a really kind, lovely rejection on a full request that complimented my writing but said she just wasn't excited enough about it to rep it. ^^ Phew thats a lot! It becomes book number eight. on your Google Profile,you mustleave it in the comments to enter Fast-forward to March of this year. In the meantime, I wrote another manuscript. Entering a comment from Laurie Hale: I would like to enter the contest for a query critique from Analieze Cervantes.Thanks for the opportunity,Laura Hale laurahaleot@gmail.com, Love hearing how you got into the industry! development, pacing, etc. I checked Querytracker maniacally. Best of luck to everyone! About: " Hannah Bowman joined Liza Dawson Associates as an agent in 2011. I didnt start writing seriously until I was about 20. Thanks for the third and fourth chances :). First and foremost, the books Im Tip: Do not write a book that you dont care about. Others said the setting was over-done. Always read the full guidelines provided by the agency/agent. 7/14/2021, Have any I KNOW how strong the desire to have someone love your book is. comment or e-mail me at. Fourth times the charm, am I right? While a student, she spent four summers working in particle physics at Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory. She offered me rep. Carl D. Brandt - Brandt & Hochman Literary Agents. Anytime a member marks a query or submission result as "Offered Representation" their information will be shown here. We'll often interview QT members when they sign with an agent. We check each active listing's guidelines page for changes once a month (if compliant). I was there for a year before joining The Harvey Klinger Thank you for this! Harvey Klinger Literary Agency. Kirsty.rorke@gmail.com, I love this. Originally from Salt Lake City, I began my publishing career at my local indie bookstore, The Kings English, before moving to New York to attend school. Jane Chun Agent Spotlight Interview and Query Critique Giveaway on 8/7/2023. In my application query letter, I dubbed it contemporary fantasy, but on Twitter, I talked about it like it was a paranormal rom-com it had a few funny one-liners, and the main characters kissed, so I figured Id done the job. All rights reserved. How had I not seen it until now? I waited. Why? Agents said they were excited to read my book. As far as authors, I am looking for Duotrope listings do not imply endorsement or recommendation of the agent or agency being listed. Literary team. romance! books, MG, and/or YA? Id love to enter. girl?? I could come back from the crushing disappointment of shelving my other book. These agent profiles and interviews presently focus on agents who accept I would like to enter the giveaway: shamaila.siddique@gmail.com. Please send us a query letter that briefly describes your project as well as any personal or professional information that may be relevant (for instance any awards you have won, regular media appearances you make, and/or professional or academic affiliations you may have). I got professional help with my query and first chapter, and I was ready to go. Learn an agent's typical response time, reply rate, and much more. Are you open to representing authors who have Have any Books have always been a safe haven, a quiet place to fold back into, and Im so glad that I did. Originally from Salt Lake City, Claire spent three years working for her local indie bookstore, The Kings English, before moving to New York to attend Columbia University. I sent my first query at the kitchen table in my robe before work on a Monday. Previously, Claire was a Macmillan Speaker's Bureau Intern at The MacMillan and also held positions at Mps Virginia, DeVito/Verdi, Don Congdon Associates, TIME, Bwog, Mountain Bike Rider, APTitude Academics Services, MullenLowe US, Tremor Video, Mullen & Company. I did the bare minimum in school and somehow passed with decent grades. If you do not want to enter the contest, that's okay. Im beyond OBSESSED with the TV show Yellowjackets -- would love love love to find something that brings the scares alongside a wicked sense of humor! //