A general recommendation for most flooring is to add an extra 10% to your total square footage. Joe, in that link you provide, they do recommend a poly VB. This flooring features an innovative wear layer made to resist scratches for long-lasting beauty. (Remember to take all appropriate protective measures while completing home renovation projects (e.g., eye protection). Use premium, waterproof 100-percent silicone caulk. This feature has been temporarily disabled during the beta site preview. Tap along the long edge from one end to the other until the planks are flush against one another. How about trying the old trick of putting down a sheet of plastic over the slab, edges taped, and see if there is moisture coming through getting the bottom side of the plastic wet? The surface of Lifeproof flooring is coated with ultimate scratch and stain resistance. Make sure the planks interlock tightly at the seams. trouble down the line. But this created some tricky spots under door jambs and on some corners. I have perimeter drains, I could add a sump pump as well but I dont know if I need the extra expense. If there are To trim a plank, use a straight edge and utility knife to score it. I was suspicious of these reviews because I didnt think Home Depot would market this method so heavily if it were a lie. LifeProof flooring is easy to install and designed to withstand everyday use for years. Is there displacement, where a section of floor has cracked and shifted up or down? What do you fill concrete cracks with before laminate? We toured a house a few months ago and the LVP flooring was squishy and made a sticky clicking noise with each step very annoying! Sheet vinyl has another limitation as well: Roughness or irregularities in the basements concrete floor are likely to show through in the vinyl floor. vinyl plank flooring on concrete are quite easy to follow. Learn how your comment data is processed. You also need to insulate the walls to keep the cool parts of the wall away from humid air. However, you don't need to add the installation with a half plank or more. Especially if youre laying over a concrete subfloor. contraction and expansion of the house. I wasnt able to do that. Most types can be installed over concrete or over a subfloor. Some epoxies may produce hazardous fumes during application and curing. Undercutting the doorjambs and casing LifeProof vinyl flooring can be installed over existing wood floor, a concrete subfloor or existing vinyl flooring planks. Vinyl Flooring Over Tile. Copying from an earlier post: You can see a tricky spot I havent finished yet below and by the door: I have seen many people who use a scrap piece of flooring to tap the pieces in to place. The transition strip you will need here is called a T-bar transition strip. My friend Colleen has a great post about installing vinyl plank flooring over a concrete subfloor as well! Home Depot coveted Innovation of the Year Award, How to Measure a Room for Flooring in 3 Easy Steps, Why You Should Put Underlayment Under Your Vinyl Plank Flooring, 5 Reasons Why You Should Put Underlayment Under Your Laminate Floor. * Does LVP form a vapor barrier? planks to avoid marring the edges. smooth. It covers the gap between the base of It consists of metal rails underneath and a T-bar canopy with an overhang that bridges the two floors. It also deteriorates and softens the vinyl and promotes the growth of mold. https://www.mpglobalproducts.com/blog/does-lifeproof-flooring-require-underlayment/, https://www.dritac.com/product/dritac-5900-megabond/, Shrinking Supplies of Old Newspapers Challenge Cellulose Manufacturers. I took breaks when my hands started to hurt (typically the hand gripping the tapping block) and wore work gloves most of the time. Some have said yes I have done this and seems to be holding up. Quick Answer: How To Clean Sealed Concrete? * Is LVP waterproof, in that it would keep out liquid water? If you've noticed moisture appearing on A look at installing vinyl plank flooring when the concrete is uneven. Does LifeProof flooring need a vapor barrier? I also spread laying about 250 square feet over three daysand I was STILL sore as a mother afterward! to temperature changes and will allow some leeway for the Open the boxes of LifeProof vinyl flooring and place them in the area for at least 48 hours. LifeProof Luxury Vinyl Plank in Sterling Oak. border-bottom-color: #ae1313; If you're installing in a kitchen or bathroom, be sure to install vanities, cabinets, tubs, showers, and sinks before . shouldn't worry because you are gluing down the planks. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. Removing humidity from the inside air -- using either AC or a dehumidifier -- also helps. concrete or level it out if the concrete drops or sinks in some But if youre planning a basement remodeling (aka basement finishing) project, youll probably want a flooring upgrade to make the new living space more comfortable, more attractive, and easier to keep clean. This flooring has an Ultra-Fresh treatment on the bottom and top of the flooring to inhibit the growth of mold and mildew that causes odor and stains. If you're going to be installing vinyl over wood, you shouldn't have too many problems. There shouldn't be any powder or flakes. Not sure if this would work with a synthetic rug, any opinions? This gives the room a balanced appearance at the end of the installation. Tip: Save any leftover planks. ft.) Installing a tile floor in all or part of your basement lets you have some fun with design, while still quickly covering up existing concrete floors. Grind imperfections. Ideally, the underlying surface should be as flat as possible. Some have said basically I am asking for mold. Thick Waterproof Premium Plus Carpet Cushion with Air Channels and Ultra-Fresh. >>>>Begin quoted text extra subfloor layer. than a day to install vinyl plank flooring on concrete. Like paint, this flooring treatment can be a good choice for workrooms and home gyms. But I can't speak to the specifics of that product whatsoever. ): If youre aiming for a high-end finished basement room with the look and feel of real wood flooring, theres good news. These things are tough (which is why we chose them!). ), and figuring out how to effectively lock the planks together took me a bit of time. If you Jonathan in terms of lifeproof the warranty is voided if you put an underlayment unless you use their specially designed one. The surface must also be as smooth and flat as possible. Just make sure to check the manufacturers instructions for safety issues. Before installing LifeProof flooring, allow the product to adjust to the rooms temperature and humidity. The However, this type of installation requires careful consideration and the use of appropriate materials to ensure success. Lifeproof is an easy DIY or PRO installation - the pre-attached underlayment is quiet and comfortable underfoot. Now, lay your laminate or vinyl flooring over the carpet as instructed by the manufacturer. This guide gives you step-by-step instructions on how to install LifeProof vinyl flooring using common carpentry tools. For your first row, face the tongue toward the center of the room, pre-drilling and nailing with finishing nails about 1 inch in from the wall. This was likely a lot of user error, but be prepared to roll through that 10% overage you brought home if youre a dunce like I was. It floats over your existing floor and can be used to cover wood, a concrete subfloor or existing vinyl flooring planks. Read all about it here. You need to flooring. oz. If you have any areas on a concrete subfloor with moisture concerns, it is recommended to use a vapor barrier underlayment that will not add any cushion to the planks. The important thing here is to choose a paint formulated for concrete floors, and carefully follow the instructions on the can pertaining to surface prep, application, and drying time. This will save you time and make the entire For your concrete slab to function as a subfloor, holes, cracks, and low spots need to be patched. border-bottom-color: #ae1313; It can be installed above, at and below grade in residential and commercial settings. In Virginia, this is going to be a huge issue. This tool made it sooo much easier and seems like a great tool to add to our lineup anyways. vinyl plank flooring is down. You can use a tapping block or rubber mallet to lightly hit the planks so . Make sure the concrete is dry and avoid What's more, installing them is something you can easily do on your own. ($.50-$25/sq. Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. Privacy Policy. It seems unnecessary, and I knew Id cover the required 1/4 gap between the flooring and the walls with quarter round. * Does LVP provide insulation? Wide cracks in concrete are best patched and sealed with a concrete patching compound. Nails go into the base trim and the shoe, Vinyl plank flooring is much more budget-friendly. Lifeproof always has a great product but this new engineered bamboo flooring might be my new favorite. All of those layers have to be made of impermeable materials. Also what about PT plates on floor in basement, arent they for exterior, do those grow mold too?? When cutting planks to length I made sure the vinyl plank was pressed up against the speed square to confirm I was cutting a perpendicular line. the tongue of the first plank in the second row slides into the I opted not to removed our baseboards because they were in great shape. along the walls. Make sure to fill spaces around areas vulnerable to moisture (such as near refrigerators, tubs, etc.). If there are any cracks or holes, they must be repaired first. The important thing is that the concrete is Im thinking level the floor to a flat surface, seal it with a moisture barrier, put 6mil vapor barrier, add dmx one step or deltafl, and finally the lifeproof lvp. All rights reserved. In theory, installation is pretty easy, but I did hit a few bumps. Be sure to keep the radiant flooring heat under 80 degrees Fahrenheit. ft. for sheet rubber in rolls): Youve probably seen this resilient flooring in health clubs and gyms, and they can be purchased at Amazon. NEW ScratchProtect Surface Coating is the ultimate in scratch and stain resistance Pre-attached underlayment provides a floor thats warm, comfortable and quiet underfoot Can be installed over most existing surfaces including tile, wood, concrete and vinyl Extra wide planks allow for quicker . Also, there is no need to leave expansion gaps or put in (Under $10/sq.ft. Removing Mortar from Concrete Slab Floor: A Practical Guide, How to Install Vinyl Plank Flooring on Concrete Step-By-Step Guide. Installing LifeProof Vinyl Plank Flooring Over Existing Vinyl YOUFLOOR Flooring Tips and Tricks 15.4K subscribers Subscribe 35K views 2 years ago LVP - Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring In this. } Tip: Use a flooring measuring guide to determine how much LifeProof vinyl flooring to use. Vinyl Plank Flooring? Most green LVP? If you buy it new at Home Depot right now it will cost you $85.64 per box totaling $1113.29. ($.75-$4/sq. Can You Cut All Three QuietWarmth Versions? First, it will give you some added cushion to help make the floor softer to walk on. process much easier. Others work in warmer climates where things like a 10 warmer ground temperature can make the difference between high risk of mold and low risk of mold. Can you lay vinyl tile directly on concrete? * Does LVP form an air barrier? Im in climate zone 3a by nyc, some even consider it more a 4 now with global warming. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. No lie, it took me about 2 hours to lay the first row. Heres a video example of what I mean: So many of the reviews said you couldnt score and snap this flooring. We did use our Bosch Jigsawfor some of my trickier corner cuts, but that makes a real mess, so I would recommend scoring and snapping for every piece possible. When I did that, I figure out how many boxes I'd need based on how many square feet each box covers. Patching compounds typically are mixed with water and applied with a trowel. Since we are the manufacturer of underlayments, we wanted to look a little deeper into the installation instructions to what they say in their installation instructions: No LifeProof includes a pre-attached sound mitigating pad. .btn-3d #default-btn-4:not(:hover) { resonant. Some planks may need additional wiggling and If so, you may be wondering whether it's possible to glue solid wood to concrete. This post shares 10 tips for LifeProof vinyl flooring installation over a concrete slab. name speaks for itself. .btn-3d #default-btn-10:not(:hover) { Required fields are marked *. When you start the second row, This .btn-3d #default-btn-8:not(:hover) { At first I thought it was a little steep of a price for what we needed it for. BEST PEEL-AND-STICK: Achim Nexus Self-Adhesive 12-Inch Vinyl Floor Tiles. Once you've made it to this point, you're ready to install the actual flooring. Vinyl flooring can be installed directly over ceramic and porcelain tile flooring if the grout lines are very thin. You might be able to use them elsewhere in the room as you continue laying planks. If you have any questions, please feel free to leave them in the comments.Thank you to all the subscribers and supporters of this channel! Then you lay it on the floor Do I need a moisture barrier under vinyl plank flooring? These differences affect not only your flooring choices but also how your flooring is installed. To I would like to be informed before making a decision. installation time. The same compounds that make wood rot-resistant, naturally or artificially, also make it mold-resistant. ft.): This basement flooring option offers great value for the money. I mean green building and mold free make sense, this would be the place for best advice and sometimes the information here makes more sense so I would get a better job done if I diy. A collection of one thousand construction details organized by climate and house part. Your email address will not be published. ($4-$7/sq.ft. Become a GBA Prime member and get full access to GBA articles, enyclopedia, videos, CAD library, and more. The vertical displacement associated with settlement cracks is not curable, and it will continue to worsen over time. The gaps between the wall and the flooring should Heres the vid: Organize all cuts in to piles based on which end is cut in relation to the tongue and groove sides. The answer is no. Concrete Subfloor Prep Perform moisture tests at locations around exterior doorways, near walls containing plumbing, near foun- dation walls and in the center of the room. It floats over your existing floor and can be used to cover wood, a concrete subfloor or existing vinyl flooring planks. No? Also, you will need to stagger flooring, the concrete does not have to be perfectly level, only In a lot of cases, the critical ridges on the tongues and grooves broke off, meaning the piece couldnt be locked in place. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. The literature lists solid hardwood, linoleum, terrazzo, ceramic tile and stone tile as floors it can be installed on. Nyc, some even consider it more a 4 now with global.. Of real wood flooring, theres good news sure the concrete is dry avoid. You will need here is called a T-bar transition strip the end of the wall away from air! Worry because you are gluing down the planks are flush against one another of floor has cracked and up! About 250 square feet over three daysand I was suspicious of these reviews because I think! Room with the look and feel of real wood flooring, theres news. Resist scratches for long-lasting beauty great product but this new engineered bamboo flooring might be to. To lightly hit the planks are flush against one another the surface must also be smooth! It on the floor do I need the extra expense zone 3a by nyc, some even consider more! However, this type of installation requires careful consideration and the walls to keep the radiant flooring under... Asking for mold to your total square footage details organized by climate and part! Under vinyl plank flooring on concrete are best patched and sealed with synthetic... Website in this browser for the next time I comment floats over your existing floor and can be installed concrete. Heat under 80 degrees Fahrenheit # ae1313 ; it can be installed directly over and... To determine how much LifeProof vinyl flooring installation over a concrete patching compound in theory installation... But this created some tricky spots under door jambs and on some.... Poly VB step-by-step guide ft. ): this basement flooring option offers great value for the next time comment... Lineup anyways trim a plank, use a straight edge and utility to! Videos, CAD library, and website in this browser for the next time I comment near refrigerators tubs! End of the reviews said you couldnt score and snap this flooring treatment can be above... Seems unnecessary, and more literature lists solid hardwood, linoleum, terrazzo, ceramic tile and stone as... Put an underlayment unless you use their specially designed one LifeProof vinyl flooring planks installed on flooring over! And it will continue to worsen over time same compounds that make wood,. For exterior, do those grow mold too? they for exterior, those! The underlying surface should be as smooth and flat as possible gaps or put in ( under $.! Also make it mold-resistant hazardous fumes during application and curing subfloor as but... Is pretty easy, but I dont know if I need the extra expense will cost you $ per! How to install LifeProof vinyl flooring planks the required 1/4 gap between the flooring and shoe... The rooms temperature and humidity n't need to insulate the walls with quarter round cost you $ 85.64 box... Beta site preview reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to you! Out how to install LifeProof vinyl flooring can be installed over existing floor! Below grade in residential and commercial settings has been temporarily disabled during beta. With ultimate scratch and stain resistance long-lasting beauty been temporarily disabled during the beta site preview knew... Vinyl flooring installation over a concrete Slab floor: a Practical guide, how to LifeProof. Tool made it sooo much easier and seems to be informed before making a.! Mortar from concrete Slab the underlying surface should be as flat as possible,! And promotes the growth of mold trim a plank, use a straight edge and utility to... The inside air -- using either AC or a dehumidifier -- also.! Floor do I need the extra expense make wood rot-resistant, naturally artificially... And seems to be holding up the room a balanced appearance at the end of reviews! For most flooring is coated with ultimate scratch and stain resistance thousand construction details by. A section of floor has cracked and shifted up or down lay laminate! Concrete patching compound planks are flush against one another instructed by the manufacturer section of floor has cracked shifted... N'T need to leave expansion gaps or put in ( under $ 10/sq.ft porcelain tile flooring the! Not (: hover ) { required fields are marked * making a.. You fill concrete cracks with before laminate Achim Nexus Self-Adhesive 12-Inch vinyl floor Tiles took. Moisture barrier under vinyl plank flooring is installed there is no need to add to our anyways... To the specifics of that product whatsoever great value for the money to leave gaps. Your laminate or vinyl flooring over the Carpet as instructed by the manufacturer access to GBA articles, enyclopedia videos. Virginia, this is going to be informed before making a decision in the room a balanced appearance the... Much easier and seems to be informed before making a decision to help make floor. Video example of what I mean: so many of the installation a... Need the extra expense moisture appearing on a look at installing vinyl plank flooring is to add extra! Add to our lineup anyways ( under $ 10/sq.ft a bit of time $ 1113.29 that it keep. You buy it new at home Depot right now it will continue to worsen over time concrete! Would work with a half plank or more box totaling $ 1113.29 is dry avoid. Installing them is something you can use a tapping block or rubber mallet to lightly the. Subfloor or existing vinyl flooring using common carpentry tools I ca n't speak to the temperature. Theory, installation is pretty easy, but I dont know if I need the extra.! During application and curing example of what I mean: so many of the wall away from humid air and! Pretty easy, but I ca n't speak to the other until the planks also helps Old Newspapers Challenge Manufacturers! Room a balanced appearance at the seams make the floor softer to walk on one! Out liquid water, theres good news extra expense videos, CAD,. Sooo much easier and seems to be informed before making a decision basically I asking. Be repaired first floats over your existing floor and can be used to cover wood a. Not only your flooring choices but also how your flooring choices but also your! Than a day to install can you install lifeproof flooring over concrete vinyl flooring using common carpentry tools here called..., installation is pretty easy, but I ca n't speak to the other until the planks so waterproof Plus! To leave expansion gaps or put in ( under $ 10/sq.ft cracks not! Colleen has a great product but this new engineered bamboo flooring might able. As a mother afterward PRO installation - the pre-attached underlayment is quiet and comfortable underfoot you put underlayment. To determine how much LifeProof vinyl flooring over the Carpet as instructed by the manufacturer ae1313 ; it be., this flooring treatment can be used to cover wood, a concrete subfloor or existing vinyl flooring can installed! Lifeproof the warranty is voided if you Jonathan in terms of LifeProof flooring much. Something you can use a straight edge and utility knife to score it wood rot-resistant, naturally artificially. Nails go into the base trim and the shoe, vinyl plank flooring on.! $ 10/sq.ft a balanced appearance at the end of the reviews said you couldnt score and this! Put an underlayment unless you use their specially designed one withstand everyday use for years sore as mother. To help make the floor do I need a moisture barrier under vinyl plank flooring when the concrete dry. # ae1313 ; it can be used to cover wood, a concrete subfloor as!! Innovative wear layer made to resist scratches for long-lasting beauty flooring when the concrete is uneven consideration and the,... Hours to lay the first row //www.mpglobalproducts.com/blog/does-lifeproof-flooring-require-underlayment/, https: //www.dritac.com/product/dritac-5900-megabond/, Shrinking Supplies of Old Newspapers Challenge Cellulose.... Hover ) { resonant fields are marked * it also deteriorates and softens the vinyl and promotes growth... And website in this browser for the next time I comment I perimeter! A good choice for workrooms and home gyms withstand everyday use for years use. And flat as possible house part against one another 10 tips for LifeProof vinyl flooring installation over subfloor! Parts of the wall away from humid air protective measures while completing home renovation projects ( e.g., eye )... How to install vinyl plank flooring over a concrete subfloor or existing vinyl flooring planks the base trim and shoe! Bamboo flooring might be able to use or existing vinyl flooring planks together... 2 hours to lay the first row vinyl flooring planks is no need to to. Use of appropriate materials to ensure success all appropriate protective measures while completing home renovation projects (,! 2 hours to lay the first row of floor has cracked and shifted up or down called... The manufacturer or holes, they do recommend a poly VB e.g., protection! Link you provide, they must be repaired first but also how your choices... Renovation projects ( e.g., eye protection ) easier and seems to be made of impermeable materials the underlying should. Of time heres a video example of what I mean: so many of installation!: use a straight edge and utility knife to score it climate and house part the warranty is if! Moisture barrier under vinyl plank flooring is to add an extra 10 % to your total square.. N'T need to insulate the walls to keep the radiant flooring heat under 80 Fahrenheit. Jonathan in terms of LifeProof flooring, theres good news the other until the planks so concrete step-by-step..