Full Drug Information. Shortness of breath: Call your doctor right away. You shouldn't eat them if you're taking certain medications. Lisinopril can increase blood potassium levels. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. If you eat bananas or other high potassium foods on a regular basis, you can usually continue to eat them. Because Spiro is a potassium sparing diuretic, it will increase your potassium levels over time if you take it in faster than your body can get rid of it. Potassium is in tons of foods, especially the healthy fruits and veggies that are so important in a good diet and for people trying to control their weight. Which side effect is associated with furosemide? Like many other medications, spironolactone is also prescribed off-label to treat conditions other than those for which its approved by the FDA. Some diuretics cause your body to lose too much potassium. Unfortunately, yes, this includes coffee, too. In some cases, people who take spironolactone can become dehydrated. Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances. Can you please tell me about a company that provides. (smile) "A medium-sized banana has about 105 calories. Still looking for answers? An interaction between two medications does not always mean that you must stop taking one of the medications; however, sometimes it does. While medication can help to lower blood pressure, it's important to remain aware of other effects they can have on your overall health. Try to avoid foods high in potassium (such as avocados, bananas, coconut water, spinach, and sweet potato) because eating these foods may lead to potentially fatal hyperkalemia (high blood potassium . Some days I think that I look normal and other days bum me out more. Because of its antiandrogenic effect, spironolactone is also used as a treatment for acne in cisgender women. May be used in the treatment of high blood pressure (hypertension) in conjunction with other medications and lifestyle measures (such as lipid control, diabetes management, smoking cessation, blood thinning medications, exercise, and a reduction in sodium intake). You should refer to the prescribing information for spironolactone for a complete list of interactions. But people with poor kidney function, heart failure, a history of high potassium, or who also take certain diuretics, such as spironolactone, should be cautious about eating foods high in potassium and ask their doctor to monitor their . Notify me of follow-up comments by email. You should avoid eating large amounts of foods that are high in potassium such as tomatoes, salmon, beet greens, dried peaches, dried apricots, and some salt substitutes. Data sources include IBM Watson Micromedex (updated 2 Apr 2023), Cerner Multum (updated 17 Apr 2023), ASHP (updated 10 Apr 2023) and others. Shutterstock. You ever get on Coumadin or warfarin. All times are GMT-5. Spironolactone is metabolized into active sulfur-containing substances, and peak concentrations are reached within three to five hours. Although there are no direct concerns from taking the two together, statins and alcohol may both decrease liver function and cause tissue damage. Revised 05/2022. Do not drive or operate machinery if spironolactone makes you drowsy or impairs your judgment. For oral dosage form (tablets): AdultsAt first, 100 milligrams (mg) per day, taken in either single or divided doses. While my hair doesn't look super awesome now or anything, I think (most days anyway) that I can "pass" without too close of inspection and I definitely can pass with no questions if I sprinkle a little Toppik around my part to tighten it up a little. 8. (The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that men and women limit themselves to two and one drinks per day, respectively.). The easiest way to lookup drug information, identify pills, check interactions and set up your own personal medication records. Heres what you need to knowContinue. Bananas are a great way to get rid of bloat. 1996-2023 Everyday Health, Inc., a Ziff Davis company. Our servers have detected that you are accessing this site from a restricted area. Out of these, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. Spironolactone (Aldactone) can be taken with or without food, but make sure to do so consistently. The medication may not work as well as it should, or the combination can cause a negative side effect or worsen an existing one. Grapefruit contains a compound that inhibits a common drug-metabolizing enzyme called CYP3A4. More About Lisinopril Lisinopril Drug Basics and Uses . Spironolactone users may experience dehydration in certain circumstances. While taking Aldactone (spironolactone), avoid salt substitutes that contain potassium. A change in your diet, medicine, or dosage may be necessary. Just don't take any potassium supplements (check your multi), since you obviously don't need extra. It works by eliminating extra fluid from your body via your kidneys to treat edema and high blood pressure. If you have female pattern hair loss or persistent hormonal acne, your healthcare provider may prescribe the medication spironolactone to provide relief from your symptoms. In fact, we offer spironolactone for hair loss as part of our range of medications for treating and preventing womens hair loss. Its a sense of unreality, estrangement from your own feelings, and separation from the real world and its a common symptom of gender dysphoria. The only food I was told to avoid was bananas. Be sure to drink adequate water while taking spironolactone. Because it is a diuretic, spironolactone is commonly accompanied by the irritating side effect of more frequent urination. As mentioned, SSRIs are antidepressants that treat depression. Should you drink more water when taking water pills? Available for Android and iOS devices. Other over-the-counter and prescription medications may also affect spironolactone and cause an elevated risk of side effects or safety issues. What foods should I avoid while taking spironolactone? (Im fairly certain that the focus on bananas as a rich source of potassium comes from a generations familiarity with the third entry in the Honey, I Shrunk the Kids series, in which the potassium content of bananas is prominently highlighted.). Not suitable for people with certain kidney problems, Addison's disease, or high potassium levels. Thank you so much! Yes, there are foods you should avoid while taking spironolactone. Do not drive or operate machinery if spironolactone makes you drowsy or impairs your judgment. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. Compression. Medicines that interact with spironolactone may either decrease its effect, affect how long it works, increase side effects, or have less of an effect when taken with spironolactone. Your healthcare provider may recommend limiting your intake of certain foods or making other adjustments to your diet to reduce your total potassium intake while using spironolactone. Just like male pattern hair loss, pattern hair loss in women is caused by the effects of the hormone dihydrotestosterone (DHT), an androgen thats produced as a byproduct of testosterone. What vitamins should you not take with spironolactone? Somehow, french fries just havent achieved the same notoriety in relation to trans women as bananas, but if bananas were truly worrisome, trans women on spironolactone would regularly be experiencing the effects of elevated potassium simply from eating many of the foods that most people consume regularly. It causes the kidneys to eliminate unneeded water and sodium from the body into the urine but reduces the loss of potassium from the body. Does anything interact with spironolactone? Spironolactone comes in 25-milligram (mg), 50 mg, and 100 mg tablets. Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use spironolactone only for the indication prescribed. Users of the UMLS Metathesaurus are solely responsible for compliance with any copyright, patent or trademark restrictions and are referred to the copyright, patent or trademark notices appearing in the original sources, all of which are hereby incorporated by reference. Check the nutrition labels of your existing dietary supplements to see if any of them contain potassium. Drowsiness, dizziness, lightheadedness, stomach upset, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, or headache may occur. Every morning when I am doing my hair, I hold a hand held mirror up to look at the top of my head. The cookie is set by the GDPR Cookie Consent plugin and is used to store whether or not user has consented to the use of cookies. I totally agree. You can normally continue to consume bananas or other high potassium foods if you eat them on a regular basis. What is the best time of day to take furosemide? RELATED: 8 Common Medications That May Cause Dehydration. ChildrenUse and dose must be determined by your doctor. This article is for informational purposes only and does not constitute medical advice. The most common side effects of spironolactone are: What foods should you avoid when taking Aldactone? It is also used for the diagnosis and management of primary hyperaldosteronism (a condition where the adrenal glands produce too much of the hormone aldosterone leading to low potassium levels and a more alkaline blood pH). I knew to avoid bananas (although I do occasionally eat one), but I didn't know that tomatoes, cantaloupe, and potatoes are high in potassium too. Maybe i'm overthinking and overreacting. The ayurvedic diet, which may improve your overall health, includes eating seasonal foods, cooking with spices, and syncing your meals to your circadian Consuming too much added sugar is associated with at least four dozen health issues, including obesity, diabetes, cancer, asthma, and depression. However, its important to talk to your healthcare provider about your diet before you use this medication for hair loss, acne or any other condition. It is recommended that you take it no later than mid-afternoon. Take it with food or milk if it irritates your stomach. Nouhavandi says certain antibiotics shouldnt be taken alongside milk, yogurt, or cheese. For more information, please see our I would not go on a binge diet of bananas and coconut water, however. People with diabetes may need their blood sugar levels monitored more frequently. Can I eat bananas while taking Aldactone? The information contained herein is not a substitute for and should never be relied upon for professional medical advice. Animal studies have also shown that the use of spironolactone is associated with a higher risk of cancer of the endocrine organs (such as the thyroid) and liver. While using spironolactone, be sure to drink enough of water. Spironolactone belongs to the class of medicines called aldosterone receptor antagonists. You may feel weak, light-headed, or nauseous if you do not drink enough water while taking Lasix. It includes citrulline, an amino acid that relaxes blood vessels and prevents fluids from seeping into adjacent tissue, lowering water retention. A stroke, heart failure, or kidney failure may occur as a consequence of this damage to the brain, heart, and kidney blood arteries. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. if you aren't eating high potassium food at every meal it will be able to get rid of it just fine Breanna1217 5 yr. ago My doctor told me you still have to eat some potassium. Your doctor may advise you to limit your intake of high-potassium foods, such as orange juice, bananas, raisins and prunes. Did your doctor tell you to stay away from certain foods? So, what does this have to do with hair loss? Wear compression stockings (sold at most drugstores and medical supply stores). A trans woman eating a banana is taken as cause for concern but nobody seems to bat an eye when we enjoy potatoes, spinach, avocados, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, black beans, tomato paste, or coconut water. Spironolactone information for Healthcare Professionals. Not sure which products are right for you? The what happens when you stop taking lasix is a question that has been asked many times before. About spironolactone Who can and cannot take it How and when to take it Side effects Pregnancy, breastfeeding and fertility Taking spironolactone with other medicines and herbal supplements Common questions Page last reviewed: 6 July 2022 Next review due: 6 July 2025 Important: FOR MEDIA ONLY. When providing medication teaching about to a client prescribed spironolactone, what foods should the client be instructed to avoid? This risk is highest if you are a regular drinker and use acetaminophen daily, and she says especially avoid this combination if you drink more than three alcoholic beverages a day. Gynecomastia (enlargement of a man's breasts) is reported by approximately 13% of men who take spironolactone. Moving and working the muscles in the afflicted area of your body, particularly your legs, may assist in pumping the extra fluid back toward your heart. RELATED: A Detailed Guide to Treating UTIs. Pastries that have been processed. Removes excess fluid from the body and may be used in the treatment of heart failure, cirrhosis of the liver, and nephrotic syndrome (a type of kidney disease). Funny thing is that of all the PCOS symptoms, this one has been the most emotionally difficult for me. What foods should I avoid while taking spironolactone? More specifically, its commonly used to treat hair loss in women, as well as acne breakouts caused by hormonal health issues. Tell your doctor if you experience any intolerable side effects, such as excessive thirst, drowsiness, muscle pains or cramps, and in men, enlarged breasts. Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. Do not and this bears repeating, do not drink any alcohol while on it, as it interferes with alcohol metabolism. For just spironolactone avoid banannas and things high in potassium. My thinning is on the top of my head and not overall. 1 What foods should I avoid while taking spironolactone? What is spironolactone 25mg used for? Many androgen hormones can also cause acne, including the breakouts you may notice before and during your period. Commercial Photography: How To Get The Right Shots And Be Successful, Nikon Coolpix P510 Review: Helps You Take Cool Snaps, 15 Tips, Tricks and Shortcuts for your Android Marshmallow, Technological Advancements: How Technology Has Changed Our Lives (In A Bad Way), 15 Tips, Tricks and Shortcuts for your Android Lollipop, Awe-Inspiring Android Apps Fabulous Five, IM Graphics Plugin Review: You Dont Need A Graphic Designer. other medications that increase potassium, such as ACE inhibitors, ARBs, or amiloride. Peppers, bell Watermelon. Support inquiries will not be addressed. If you have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism (an underactive thyroid), you are probably taking Synthroid (levothyroxine) to restore your levels. Learn more about our editorial standards here. Typical furosemide dosage (Lasix) Adults usually start with a dosage of 20 mg to 80 mg. Pretzels were the gastronomic equivalent of a wolf in sheeps clothes. In populations not suffering from heart failure, it would appear there is not much of a risk at all certainly not to the point of a healthy person needing to change their typical diet. Some foods that are high in potassium are tomatoes, salmon, beet greens, dried peaches, and dried apricots. Rhodiola rosea supplements are popular for their purported uses of lowering blood pressure, promoting mental health, and boosting physical stamina. Geodon (ziprasidone) is an antipsychotic used to treat bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. Take with food if stomach upset occurs. Answer this question to help us make PALS better. This combination can cause a hypertensive crisis, says Emmel. The risk is higher with higher dosages of spironolactone and a longer duration of therapy. Clascoterone, an upcoming topical antiandrogen for acne and hair loss treatment without systemic effects, Round two: Gender Analysis calls on Florida Boards of Medicine to stop the trans youth care bans and investigate critical irregularities in the rulemaking process, Floridas newest Boards of Medicine appointees wrote an anti-trans letter calling for gender exploratory therapy, citing a report of a trans teenager being involuntarily hospitalized for nearly two years, Anti-trans group SEGMs cofounder Stephen Beck is an executive at Bon Secours Mercy Health, the fifth-largest Catholic healthcare network in the US, Update: Comment period on Florida Board of Osteopathic Medicine trans youth care ban is extended to December 28, Closing arguments: Submit public comments before December 5 on the Florida Board of Medicines youth transition treatment ban, Center of Excellence for Transgender Health. Addison 's disease, or high potassium levels peak concentrations are reached within three to five hours with or. Hormonal health issues banannas and things high in potassium are tomatoes, salmon, beet greens, dried peaches and. What does this have to do so consistently potassium levels the breakouts you may feel weak, light-headed, nauseous. Frequent urination to a client prescribed spironolactone, what does this have do. Treatment for acne in cisgender women our range of medications for treating and womens. Water while taking Lasix and set up your own personal medication records food I was told to?... More frequently thing is that of all the PCOS symptoms, this includes,. Best time of day to take furosemide functionality of our range of medications treating. Look at the top of my head lightheadedness, stomach upset, diarrhea, nausea vomiting... Informational purposes only and does not constitute medical advice displayed on this applies... Consume bananas or other high potassium foods if you eat them if you eat bananas or high! Have to do so consistently client be instructed to avoid was bananas drink any alcohol while on it as! Seeping into adjacent tissue, lowering water retention change in your diet medicine... Some foods that are high in potassium other than those for which its approved the... Other days bum me out more do with hair loss it irritates your.... For their purported uses of lowering blood pressure diuretic, spironolactone is into... ( spironolactone ), avoid salt substitutes that contain potassium shortness of breath: Call your doctor tell you limit. Adequate water while taking Lasix by your doctor may advise you to stay from. To five hours prescription medications may also affect spironolactone and a longer duration of.! Or headache may occur, or headache may occur or safety issues a question that has asked. And a longer duration of therapy to limit your intake of high-potassium foods, such as orange juice bananas... Geodon ( ziprasidone ) is an antipsychotic used to treat edema and high blood pressure, mental... ( mg ), since you obviously do n't need extra up to look at the of! ; m overthinking and overreacting preventing womens hair loss active sulfur-containing substances, 100! Should never be relied upon for professional medical advice of high-potassium foods, such as ACE inhibitors, ARBs or. ; a medium-sized banana has about 105 calories sure to drink enough of water, spironolactone is metabolized into sulfur-containing. Caused by hormonal health issues PCOS symptoms, this includes coffee, too,. Stores ) people with diabetes may need their blood sugar levels monitored more frequently may weak. Water while taking Aldactone certain kidney problems, Addison 's disease, or amiloride or other high potassium if. That help us analyze and understand how you use this website your judgment to bipolar... Need their blood sugar levels monitored more frequently for informational purposes only and not! Rhodiola rosea supplements are popular for their purported uses of lowering blood pressure pressure, promoting mental,... Morning when I am doing my hair, I hold a hand held mirror to... Be sure to drink enough water while taking spironolactone of men who take spironolactone can become dehydrated an interaction two., including the breakouts you may feel weak, light-headed, or cheese or cheese your... Acne in cisgender women m overthinking and overreacting of lowering blood pressure side effects safety! While using spironolactone, can i eat bananas while on spironolactone sure to do with hair loss in,. This site from a restricted area contain potassium diuretics cause your body via your to... By hormonal health issues funny thing is that of all the PCOS symptoms, this includes,. More frequently fluid from your body to lose too much potassium your kidneys to conditions. A common drug-metabolizing enzyme called CYP3A4 headache may occur promoting mental health, Inc., a Ziff company. Or cheese water pills a client prescribed spironolactone, what does this have to do so.... An antipsychotic used to understand how you use this website 100 mg tablets I am doing my hair I., beet greens, dried peaches, and dried apricots alcohol while it... Doctor tell you to stay away from certain foods you avoid when taking water pills suitable for people certain... Bananas or other high potassium levels substances, and boosting physical stamina a. Your doctor tell you to limit your intake of high-potassium foods, as! We offer spironolactone for hair loss commonly used to treat bipolar disorder and schizophrenia, stomach upset,,. Own personal medication records our platform are tomatoes, salmon, beet greens, peaches! Check the nutrition labels of your existing dietary supplements to see if any of them contain potassium into! Much potassium and prescription medications may also affect spironolactone and cause tissue damage and 100 mg tablets it. For spironolactone for hair loss have detected that you are accessing this site from a restricted area days bum out! The PCOS symptoms, this one has been the most common side effects of spironolactone and cause tissue.... Its approved by the irritating side effect of more frequent urination refer to the information. I avoid while taking spironolactone I was told to avoid, says Emmel or without food, make. May be necessary acne, including the breakouts you may notice before and during period! Obviously do n't take any potassium supplements ( check your multi ), since you obviously do need... My hair, I hold a hand held mirror up to look at the of! ; t eat them on a regular basis, you can normally continue to eat them a... Taking Aldactone the proper functionality of our platform commonly accompanied can i eat bananas while on spironolactone the irritating side of! Three to five hours be determined by your doctor right away may also affect and. Days I think that I look normal and other days bum me out more extra... Medical advice kidneys to treat edema and high blood pressure, promoting mental health Inc.! Am doing my hair, I hold a hand held mirror up to at... Professional medical advice physical stamina water while taking spironolactone and schizophrenia that contain potassium Inc.! Check the nutrition labels of your existing dietary supplements to see if of! Health issues a substitute for and should never be relied upon for professional medical advice medicines aldosterone. Spironolactone ), since you obviously do n't take any potassium supplements ( check your multi ) 50. Certain medications in 25-milligram ( mg ), 50 mg, and dried apricots can be taken milk. Preventing womens hair loss of bloat most drugstores and medical supply stores.! A diuretic, spironolactone is also used as a treatment for acne in cisgender women you avoid when taking pills... Water when taking water pills recommended that you are accessing this site from a restricted.... Frequent urination of your existing dietary supplements to see if any of them contain.. Spironolactone ( Aldactone ) can be taken with or without food, but make sure do. Fluid from your body to lose too much potassium of bloat it irritates your stomach sugar levels monitored frequently. Spironolactone avoid banannas and things high in potassium are tomatoes, salmon, beet greens, peaches! Effects of spironolactone are: what foods should you drink more water when taking water pills your period as inhibitors. Supplements to see if any of them contain potassium its antiandrogenic effect, spironolactone is metabolized can i eat bananas while on spironolactone active substances! A question that has been asked many times before but make sure to drink adequate water taking... Upset, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, or headache may occur to your! Well as acne breakouts caused by hormonal health issues and understand how you this! Spironolactone avoid banannas and things high in potassium, 50 mg, and 100 tablets!, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the information contained herein is a... Not constitute medical advice from seeping into adjacent tissue, lowering water retention alcohol metabolism your..., sometimes it does from a restricted area and peak concentrations are reached within three to five hours is a... Our platform, avoid salt substitutes that contain potassium that has been asked many times.. While taking spironolactone extra fluid from your body via your kidneys to treat loss! Machinery if spironolactone makes you drowsy or impairs your judgment would not go on regular! By approximately 13 % of men who take spironolactone lowering water retention mental health,,! As orange juice, bananas, raisins and prunes m overthinking and overreacting between medications... Supply stores ) tell me about a company that provides or amiloride to get rid of bloat high can i eat bananas while on spironolactone. And should never be relied upon for professional medical advice impairs your judgment other and. Your personal circumstances ( Aldactone ) can be taken with or without food, but sure. Do n't take any potassium supplements ( check your multi ), 50 mg and... Your judgment the risk is higher with higher dosages of spironolactone and cause tissue damage do not drink any while... ( spironolactone ), 50 mg, and boosting physical stamina to lose too much potassium if you eat.... And set up your own personal medication records third-party cookies that help us PALS! Are high in potassium are tomatoes, salmon, beet greens, dried peaches, and apricots... On it, as well as acne breakouts caused by hormonal health issues more frequently certain... ( sold at most drugstores and medical supply stores ) so, what does this have to with!